Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions on Food Storage?

Stacer
March 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone has opinions on food storage. I recently had to buy a big bag of food because my store was out of the small bags, and I know it will take me forever to go through this big bag. I have a sealed plastic container that I put the food in, but all of the big bag doesn't fit in it. The bag is resealable, is that sufficient to keep the remaining food fresh? Also, Angus has torn the bag, so I transferred the rest into small freezer bags, and I thought maybe actually putting them in the freezer might be a good idea since it will probably be more than a month until the cats will be eating it. Does freezing cat food affect it in any way? And how do others store mass quantities of food?

I don't like buying those big bags even though they work out cheaper, I feel like the food at the bottom of the big bag can't be as fresh or as good for the cats.

Puppyluv
March 10th, 2007, 10:43 AM
My parents freeze the dog food they keep at the cabin, and have never had any problems with it. You shouldn't put the food dirrecty into the plastic container because compounds from the plastic can leech into the food. Instead, keep the food in the bag, and then put the bag into container.

SnowDancer
March 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
When my 22 lb. Eskimo opened the Rotti sized bag of Fromms' Whitefish & Potato food (it became ours of course) I asked Fromms if they had any recipes. They didn't - but did say that freezing in small freezer bags would be fine - except to keep size of bags to no more than a 2 day supply due to the deterioration in food quality as food defrosts. We had one heck of a lot of bags. Finally, we were going away for a week and I was terrified that the power would fail - the smell would have been horrible, so I donated it to a shelter asking they use it a.s.a.p. A couple of months ago we had to buy the medium size bag of his favourite - Salmon A La Veg - you get about 2 1/2the amount as in a small bag - more cost effective - but I was worried about freshness of food at bottom and any potential little critters starting to breed in it - and my husband didn't tightly seal the lid on one of the containers. I think he was about 3/4 done when I pitched the rest. He has never managed to get close enough to the big bags again - he wouldn't have succeeded the first time if his teeth were so huge.

Skryker
March 10th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I find that Dancer is less than thrilled by the food from the bottom of the bag, but I can't get anything smaller than a 5lb bag of Felidae. I put the last bag into a big freezer bag and her food is kept in a closet away from light, so I think it will be OK. So far, so good. She's not turning her nose up at it yet anyways. :D