Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The growing fur-family...

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM
So I am babysitting my parent's lab...which brings the running total of labs in the house to 3. So what do we do? We have a photo-shoot!
Here's one of the crew...and the blondes sleeping (FINALLY)

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Hayden not amused with having the spend the whole weekend with a house full of girls,assuming his safe perch on the couch.
And waiting for dad to get home from his weekend away....

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Chelsea looking good at the ripe age of 15...
Jada wondering how many more dogs she is going to have to share her house with

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Hayden getting sick of the camera in his face 24/7
Chelsea happy in her new temporary home

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Jada still waiting for her treat....
Hayden wanting the photoshoot to end and the walk to begin...

Frenchy
March 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM
They look so well behave all together ! Chelsea is beautiful and looks quite in shape for 15 years old ! :thumbs up poor Hayden waiting for his daddy :sad: :D

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM
he he he Very cute! :thumbs up I love labs, too. :D That shot on the couch is precious! he he he "Nyuh-uh..No darn gurlz tryin' ta get my couch..." :D

Your youngsters are beautiful--and Chelsea is really looking great for her age! We had a lab that lived past 15, too--amazing how tough they are :cloud9:

angeldogs
March 10th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Very cute.poor Hayden and the camera and waiting for dad.the look of Jada still waiting for her treat is sooo cute.Chelsea is a beauty.good shape for her age.

TeriM
March 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Aww, everybody looks so adorable :lovestruck: . Chelsea looks awesome for 15 :thumbs up .

Skryker
March 11th, 2007, 10:55 AM
:lovestruck: Labs! So cute! I never would have guessed that Chelsea is 15.

BTW, referring to a "running total" of labs is too perfect! It's a great way to describe the quantity of labs in your house. :rolleyes:

Loves Labs
March 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone...I am relishing in a quiet moment with them right now...everyone is fast asleep and keeping their paws to themselves.

Chelsea keeps surprising us as she ages, we are very lucky she is still doing so well.:love:

:frustrated: Although she attacked Jada when she was eating last night and then ate all her food. She is such a bully - Jada was so scared she just froze and peed all over the floor. Needless to say, they are all being fed separately now - with more than just me standing between them. I was scared :o

Skryker
March 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
:eek: Poor Jada! (and you! Nothing like being in the way when those teeth start flashing around. :rolleyes: )

Guess they're still sorting out a new pack order. Labs can be so laid back and friendly that it always seems extra shocking when they're not. Funny how often it's food that gets involved in fights or less than desirable behaviour with labs. Walking stomachs, that's what they are!

:o My Bronwyn is so food driven (and stubborn!) that our normally sucky girl will willingly take a scolding or risk us being mad at her just to get oonnneeee more bite or lick of forbidden food. I can call her off most thing she's not supposed to have and she'll instantly drop whatever it is, but food....you can almost see the calculations going on. "Yah, Mom's mad, but she has to cross the room, so I can manage a few more mouthfuls before she gets over here to take it off of me....it's worth the scolding, because once she makes me lay down, I've still got that extra food to digest. She won't stay mad very long." :evil:

Prin
March 12th, 2007, 02:51 AM
What cuties they all are! :cloud9: So adorable!

Yeah, labs and food... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TeriM
March 12th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I can call her off most thing she's not supposed to have and she'll instantly drop whatever it is, but food....you can almost see the calculations going on. "Yah, Mom's mad, but she has to cross the room, so I can manage a few more mouthfuls before she gets over here to take it off of me....it's worth the scolding, because once she makes me lay down, I've still got that extra food to digest. She won't stay mad very long." :evil:

Yep, that's my labs too :o . The only time Lucy ever totally willfully ignores me off leash is when she is on a scent for some food :frustrated: . It's like I don't even exsist :yell: .

Lucy established the feeding rules very early in Riley's life. He is extremely respectful and keeps his distance while their food is being prepared and never tries to eat out of her bowl (except maybe lick it extra clean just in case she missed something - yeh, right :rolleyes: ). Luckily the food issue doesn't carry over to treats or chews so I don't need to supervise that :thumbs up .

Hunter's_owner
March 12th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Beautiful doggies. :cloud9:

Yeah it sounds like a pack order is trying to be established. Hopefully that won't happen anymore:fingerscr

Loves Labs
March 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Well it is good to hear my lab's misbehaviour isn't so much my fault...
They really do go crazy for the food. I like the "walking stomachs" description - too funny Skryker. :D

We haven't had any more "incidents" and they are great about taking treats while sitting side-by-side. I think they just need to adjust to a new boss in the house (and that is definitely not me :laughing: ). Chelsea wouldn't even let Jada lie on her bed last night because Chelsea had left a toy on it (Jada's own toy, no less). Everytime Jada even looked in the direction of the bed, Chelsea would show her teeth (while looking completely calm and sweet). It was so mean. Chelsea seems to reserve this special for only Jada. Girls! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, Hayden knows to steer clear of her and spends all his time following me around and sitting on my lap. He does start to cry pathetically whenever I am petting Chelsea for too long - then he throws himself in between us and keeps crying until I pet him too. He is such a baby.

We were laughing last night as he was falling asleep on the couch and his head was millimeters away from a bowl of food on the table. He was nodding off into the food and he didn't even attempt to take a lick...he's a funny little guy. :dog: :pawprint:

Oh, labs...:love: :cloud9: :lovestruck:

Dog Dancer
March 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Love the pics. And have to agree with the sentiment of labs and their food habits. We have Halo trained to leave anything, and proudly told her to "leave it" one day and she actually dropped a hamburger on the ground. She's good that way, fortunately. But she's funny when Shadow gets a cookie (well both get them together), but she'll follow Shadow around after eating her own biscuit and then if Shadow puts it down she'll eat that one too. When they get chewies, Halo (the lab) knows that Shadow won't eat hers as a rule, so she'll go and steal it so she has two. She knows she's not supposed to do that, and one day I found her laying outside with one chewie sticking out from under her bum and the second one in her paws being eaten. She had this look on her face, she would not make eye contact with me, and the look said "no really Mom, I only have the one I'm chewing on!" She obviously didn't realize the other chewie was sticking out the back. It was priceless. Labs and food.... yup.

rainbow
March 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Great pics. Chelsea looks amazing for 15. :cloud9: And, poor Hayden looks so sad missing daddy. :D

Loves Labs
March 12th, 2007, 11:37 PM
The warm air had me feeling brave - I walked all three together!
They were like clockwork, I was very impressed and we definitely were turning some head!

Sorry no pics though - my hands were a little full. :o

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 04:52 AM
lol that's ok.:) I'm glad it went well.:) Three dogs is definitely a head-turner. Especially three labs. :cloud9:

angeldogs
March 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Good that your walk went well with the three of them.:thumbs up
With 3 good looking Labs.that would turn some heads.

Furbaby Momma
March 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Thank You for sharing your wonderful pictures with us, Loves Labs...food and Labs deffinately go hand in hand. You must have turned many heads walking all those beauties. :cloud9:

breeze
March 13th, 2007, 02:06 PM
the pictures are great :thumbs up I'm glad you got the guts up and were able to walk all three of them together, don't you just feel proud when all head turn and they are all in aww :D