Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Exercising my lazy cat - need ideas please!

kittiei
March 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I have 2 cats. They are sisters, Pansy is very active and energetic, she runs all over the place. Tulip, on the other hand, is rather lazy and has put on some weight lately as I've been out of town a lot in the past month. I plan to be home now for a long time and I'm determined to help her lose weight. I've changed their food and stuff. My question is, how do I get Tulip to play with me? She won't play by herself and she has always been rather passive and won't play with something if Pansy is playing, she just sits back and watches. If I can distract Pansy for a bit, I might be able to get Tulip to run for a minute or so but it's hard to distract one cat and still play with the other.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm considering giving them some catnip on occasion (which I've never done before) because I hear it might be good for exercise...

:shrug:

Thanks in advance!

Kristi

clm
March 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I've also got 2 sisters and just like you one is very active and the other is not and is a couple of pounds heavier as a result. I had another kitten adopt me a month ago and she has been the answer. My heavier cat, Mookie, who doesn't really like other cats much, even her own sister, is now much more active. The kitten (now about 6months old I'm guessing), chases her around, more cautiously than she does the other one. Mookie also now plays more with the toys than she was before too. She waits until the other 2 are sleeping and then she starts running around playing with the toys she watched the others playing with. It's made a big difference, she'll never be a thin cat, but this has helped a whole lot.
Unsightly as they are, cats love boxes, I have 2 of them in the house, big costco deals standing up on their ends so the cats can sit in or jump on top of them, I keep toys marinating in catnip and put them in there for them. I also have a couple of floor to ceiling cat trees, not the expensive ones from super pet, these are 49.99 cheapies from walmart, the cats go crazy chasing each other up and down them.
Playing with the heavier one will be easier when the other one is sleeping so take advantage of those times to toss toys around for her to chase or put out paper bags for her to play in, etc.

Cindy

Cindy

kittiei
March 10th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I bought some catnip today and rubbed it on some of their toys. It seems to be working, sort of. I think it will take a while for Tulip to get her energy levels up but this is a start. Unfortunately getting another cat isn't really an option (though it's a great idea) as I live in a very small condo, that's probably part of the problem to begin with.

My cats used to chase each other around and were both fairly active, though Tulip has always been a little lazier.

We're working on it though :fingerscr . Thanks again.

Any other ideas are welcome as well :)

Kristi

TeriM
March 10th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I have a laser pointer toy that both my cats love to chase.

cpietra16
March 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Laser pointer is a big plus in our house. By the way, start with the weight loss and you'll see her energy go up..:thumbs up

Stacer
March 10th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I will third the laser pointer, our cats sprint around the apartment after it, and even know the noise it makes when we pick it up and will come running when they hear it.:thumbs up

LavenderRott
March 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have an 8 pound dog I can lend you! :lovestruck:

Maya
March 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Health food stores often carry catnip for people to make tea out of and its usually WAY more potent. Once I was making tea in the microwave and came in to find my cat cuddling up against the microwave.:p I guess some might get hyper if they sniff it but others just sort of slobber and snort or roll in it.

Also I notice it can be kind of a habit thing getting them to play. If you can find what they like the best and stick with it they get better at it. E.g. if string (try different types) is fun they get into little routines that involve "warming up" like first watching then progressing. Safe things attached to the end like a catnip mouse or something that makes an interesting noise might make it more interesting. All about catering to the preferences.:o Its difficult with two though, maybe try separating for a little while if possible so Tulip can really focus on her play.:)