Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wish me luck

Loves Labs
March 9th, 2007, 08:29 AM
So we just added a second dog to the family a little over a month ago now. It took some time to adjust to the chaos, but the two pups are happy and love each other, so that's what is important. :dog:

Now, because I am a big sucker, I have agreed to look after my parent's yellow lab for a week starting today. I think the man of the house is scared because he conveniently is going to be away this weekend. :rolleyes:

So I am going to be all alone in dog heaven and I think we will start the night off with a photoshoot followed by a group cuddle on the couch...if it is big enough :laughing:

I am a bit worried about walking them - does anyone else walk more than 2 dogs at once? Should I walk them separately?

Hunter's_owner
March 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Definitely good luck wishes from me:goodvibes:

I have no idea on walking three dogs. Just be very careful:fingerscr

I will be waiting for those pics;) :D

breeze
March 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I had to take care of three dogs for about 2 1/2 weeks, I thought no problem they are small, take them all out for a walk what kind of trouble can they get into right??, wrong one got lose and would not come back the leash got tangled with the other, we were all a mess. the next day I took them out one at a time until I got use to them and found out what they would do, over a couple of days, I was able to take two out at a time .then I would change who goes out with who so no one felt left out. on the second to last day I took care of them I was able to take all three of them out, unless you know what you are doing I would take them out one at a time, no fights no one runs away and you are safe and sound. once you are use to them know what they are will do then you can try to take them all out at the same time

good luck lets us know how it's going

hazelrunpack
March 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM
he he he Yeah, definitely start out slow with the multiple dog walks. When hubby started walking our first two together, they delighted on separating and going around the same post or tree but from different directions. Since they were 45 - 50 pound dogs, sometimes it was all he could do to keep himself from being pulled face-first into the obstacle. :D (It was funny to watch, but I'm sure hubby was not pleased. :laughing: ) It took a little backyard training (obstacle free) before the dogs figured out the rules of multiple-dog outings...

Good luck with your menagerie! :fingerscr :cloud9:

Loves Labs
March 9th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks - I think you are right...I am not going to be so ambitious as to take all 3 at first. The neighbours are going to think I have lost my marbles with ANOTHER dog!
My two are FINALLY good walking together....well at least most of the time :evil:

My Dad walks all FOUR :eek: of them together at once - but he is a dog master extraordinaire. Oh yes - and dog #4 - the wild chocolate lab, is going to the kennel for the week. The man of the house said 4 dogs is three too many :frustrated:

I will keep you posted...and post pics as soon as I get things under control :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

breeze
March 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
the pictures or the dogs ?? :laughing:

I think at one time or another we all losts our marbles :crazy: I know I have at one time can't rembemer when it was some time ago :laughing: :laughing:

Frenchy
March 9th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I will keep you posted...and post pics as soon as I get things under control :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

woohoo ! Can't wait.....

TeriM
March 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I have two labs (ten months and eleven years) and my mom has the litter mate to our younger lab. I often walk all three at once but also tend to walk the distance over to trails where they go off leash and then let them run. It is a much easier walk on the way back then it is going out :D .

Our older lab is also very mellow (finally!) so she is easy to walk off the leash in most areas unless it is high traffic so often she just cruises along with the others while they are on leash.

TeriM
March 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'll just add that the difference between looking after one dog and two dogs is not that significant but I find when a third dog is added the work load and chaos seems to increase significantly :o .

I have no idea how Hazel manages six :eek: !

Prin
March 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Good luck! :) Whenever I walk three, I put the worst walker in my right hand and the other two in my left... But watch out for squirrels. :laughing:

clm
March 9th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think pics of you trying to walk all 3 would be fun :laughing:

Just kidding....I hope you have a wonderful time with the 3 of them.

Cindy

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Things are going more smoothly than I thought. Everyone is getting along and my kids are definitely respecting their elder. She just looks at them and they scramble....too funny. I think she is actually keeping them calmer than usual...the normal wrestling has decreased & the hardwood floors are grateful.

Chelsea doesn't seem too interested in eating though - I think she's obviously stressed with the new place. So I lay on the floor and feed her out my hand :o It works...and the other dogs just sit there and whine...I think they are mourning the neglected bowl of kibble. They just can't understand it!

I am amazed at how lively Chelsea is. She is 15 now and she is still keeping up with the young pups - even going up and down the stairs without a problem....although it makes me nervous every time.

No pics of me walking all three :rolleyes: but I will post a new thread right now in the photo gallery of our ongoing photoshoot.:D

Frenchy
March 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Things are going more smoothly than I thought.

Good dogs ! We always think the worse, but usually , dogs love one another (too bad we're not more like them!) Can't wait to see pics ! She must be so cute , I love older dogs !

Loves Labs
March 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
The pictures are up!

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
The pictures are up!

*hazel runs off to find them :D

Loves Labs
March 12th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Chelsea keeps bullying Jada. Barking at her whenever she comes near. I know Chelsea is playing, but Jada is very sensitive and shy and is not reacting well to this.

Since I came home today she keeps running down to the basement to hide...she has never stepped foot in there in the month and a bit that we have had her. Also - if Chelsea is in the room, Jada just stands in the doorway looking scared. Tonight she even squeezed behind the couch and just stood there while Chelsea was sleeping infront of it. :eek:
What to do??

Hayden thinks girls are strange. :laughing:

TeriM
March 12th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Hmmm, that's a tough one. Do you reprimand Chelsea when she does it?

Prin
March 13th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I would stop the "playing" until Jada gets more confident... It's her home, so she should be allowed to be comfortable...:o

Loves Labs
March 13th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Yes we do try to get Chelsea to calm down. I should clarify - she isn't really even doing much. It is just if Jada walks near her, Chelsea will jump into a play bow and let out a loud bark. That is enough to send Jada flying! The problem is, she pretty much does it to her everytime she walks by...:evil:

As much as I reprimand Chelsea, she really doesn't seem to care what I say. You can't teach an old dog new tricks??:rolleyes:

This morning they both came upstairs together and were with me side-by-side without any problems...Jada was her usual confortable self.:shrug:

It seems as though it is just when we are all settled in the living room that Chelsea decides she is queen of the domain and Jada becomes scared. She honestly just looks at her and Jada seems to react. :sad: