Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

N-R-G Has anyone tried it?

geisha
March 8th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Has anyone tried this product? I am impressed with the ingredients for my senior dog with chicken allergies and an energetic 3 year old. They are both samoyeds. It's dehydrated food from Armstrong, BC. What are your opinions on dehydrated dog food? We travel alot on weekends and I like the idea of small packaging and oh yes the ingredients!

JanM
March 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I used NRG for quite some time with Bobby - who had food issues. He did very, very well on it but I had to stop using it because feeding two large dogs NRG just got too expensive for me. I was somewhat upset about that because it is an awesome food for dogs but I just couldn't afford to feed two on it. I changed to Go Natural and both are doing well on it. NRG is, in my opinion, the best dog food available.

geisha
March 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you for this.

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I have a friend who feeds her 3 dogs this, and is totally happy. Loves this food.

TeriM
March 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I fed the grain free raw version of this for a few weeks while camping in the summers. I haven't used it the last few years because we now have a real fridge in our tent trailer so haven't needed to.

I found it to be very convenient but it didn't digest as well as her regular raw food (stool volume) but was great for a vacation. I also thought it was quite expensive although the non grain-free version was cheaper if memory serves correctly.

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Hate to tell ya Teri, but its not raw. All the meats are cooked. :o

TeriM
March 8th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Check again Scott. They definately also have a raw version :) .

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM
They didnt a short while ago. I could be wrong though, but when i looked into it, they list the meats as cooked. Cant look now, website is down :rolleyes:

TeriM
March 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
The raw is available in chicken and buffalo

All Life Stages Canine Blend - 100% Complete Nutrition

NRG's canine diet that uses vegetable carbohydrates is available complete with raw dehydrated chicken. NRG's applied science department has developed a process to etch raw protein and destroy ecoli and salmonella bacteria without applying heat, thereby preserving enzyme integrity. With the Chicken and Vegetable diet, a nutritious conscience pet owner can serve a raw meat enzyme rich diet without concerns about pathogen contamination.

Ingredients include: Free range chicken muscle meat, squash, carrots, liver, eggs, grapefruit, wheat germ, broccoli, ground flax seed, kelp, cider vinegar, goats milk yogurt, papaya, cranberries, eggshell (as a calcium source), garlic, parsley, and salmon oil.

All ingredients are 100% table-grade. NRG does not add any vitamin or mineral pre-mix as the naturally occurring vitamins, minerals and enzymes are not destroyed by dehydrating the ingredients. No chemicals or preservatives are added.

Instructions: For every cup of dehydrated dry food add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of warm drinking water. Mix well and allow to stand for 15-20 minutes before serving. For more complete digestion and smaller stools split the ration into two feedings - 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. Refrigerate any leftovers. Store dry product in an air tight container.

Suggested servings per day:
Feed approximately 1/2 cup of refreshed food for every 10lbs. your dog weighs.

Typical Nutrient Analysis:
Protein ..................... 26%
Fat ........................... 18%
Crude Carbohydrate... 40%

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah, just looked again, found this

"This great line is available in the original buffalo, chicken and beef flavors as well as a new 'raw' buffalo (Raw O-N-E) version."

Again, these must be pretty new, as they only had the original and the raw mate veggie formulas when i looked at them. My apologies. :thumbs up

TeriM
March 8th, 2007, 05:45 PM
No problem. Actually not so new as I used both the chicken and buffalo raw formulas for three summers in a row a few years back. It is a company from Armstrong, BC though so it may have only been available in BC for quite a while. They also may have revised their formulas recently to reflect some new trends in raw feeding (ie less veggies etc).

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe so. Im as far away from BC as you can get in Canada. :p I remember looking at their site, but never reading about the raw formulas. weird. I know our local global only carried the regular stuff.

oh well :p

Hunter's_owner
March 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Maybe so. Im as far away from BC as you can get in Canada. :p

Not quite;) :laughing:

Yeah I have heard of this as well. I know someone that feeds this to her dog and she loves it:thumbs up

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Not quite;) :laughing:

You guys don't count :p

Hunter's_owner
March 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
You guys don't count :p

That's not very nice:sad: :o :p

Scott_B
March 8th, 2007, 06:08 PM
<3 never said we dont still love ya ;)

Hunter's_owner
March 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
<3 never said we dont still love ya ;)

Yeah yeah:rolleyes: :D

geisha
March 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Sooo...Let me get this straight. There is a RAW version that's dehydrated and a 'baked' dehydrated version as well. Cool.

JanM
March 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
You are right - there is a Raw product and "Cooked" product - I used both at first then settled on the "Cooked" - again because of price.. When I win the lottery I'll go back to NRG food :)

rainbow
March 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'm just curious.....how much does this stuff cost?

geisha
March 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hi there. I was in the local pet store today. In Edmonton NRG Beef or Chicken in 5lb box cost approx. $36 -$39.00. The 16 lb box is approx $76.00.
My sammys really enjoyed the beef. I was told to expect larger stools but that didn't seem to happen. This seems to be a good option for people who travel!!!

Spirit
March 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Again, these must be pretty new, as they only had the original and the raw mate veggie formulas when i looked at them. My apologies. :thumbs up

I'm not sure, but my work sells holistic food, and it's been there as long as I've been there (couple years), and I know it's been around longer than I have...

JanM
March 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I can't remember the exact price but it was costing me about $200 per month to feed my two dogs on the NRG - they loved it and did very well on it but my wallet was hurting pretty bad!

Scott_B
March 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM
ww, that seems like a lot. My friend told me what she pays "You get a 16lb box for $90 taxes included and for the 3 dogs it lasts a month... Zoe is 59 lbs, Chilli is 44 lbs and Moth is 34 lbs..."

JanM
March 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'll go to store and check but I remember that the Raw is over $100 for a box - can't remember the size but it was big - it lasted me 3 weeks. When I changed to the "Cooked" I believe the same size box was between $90 and $100 - and it lasted 3 weeks too. Since I really can't depend on my memory - I'll go as soon as I can and check the prices and sizes...

rainbow
March 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I can't remember the exact price but it was costing me about $200 per month to feed my two dogs on the NRG - they loved it and did very well on it but my wallet was hurting pretty bad!

Yikes.....too expensive to feed my two boys too. :o

JanM
March 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I just went to the pet store - a 25 lb box of "cooked" Beef is $107 - that is the box that would last me 3 weeks. The Raw is more - between $115 and $120 but that is from memory - they didn't have any in the store today. So, yes, I just couldn't afford it - wish I could though because it is an awesome food!