Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray cats

clm
March 8th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I adopted 2 kittens from a rescue group 3 years ago after my 18 year old cat died. Following that adoption, a beautiful big black male stray whose owners used to live in the area moved and didn't bother to take this wonderful cat, decided he wanted to call my house home, so off to the vet with him and now he's a member of the family and the only cat allowed out, vet guesses he's around 10. In early January, I had a little grey tabby kitten show up on a cold winters morning while I was filling up the bird feeders. Fed her (she ate like she hadn't had food in a long time), and she was still there waiting for me when I got home from work, so in she came and off to the vet with her for shots and a spay. I've checked all over to see if anyone in the area had lost this kitten, but to no avail. I've seen no one looking for her either, so now there are 4 inside. I have 2 other cats that have been showing up outside for over a year now, one I'm sure is alone in this world, a very nice ginger male, but far too skittish to let you get close to, I've tried, but he's been feral too long I think. The other has a home, just likes the food I put out I'm sure. Last night I had another very pretty black cat appear out of nowhere, and obviously thin and hungy, so she's now eating here too. I think I'll be able to make friends with her with a little time and patience and at least get her spayed if she hasn't been already. I have 3 cat houses outside 3 feet up off the ground, warm and dry and each has a nice thick blanket in there, and the cats use them. I want to know how on earth people could move and leave cats, or let out a small kitten in a neighbourhood with cats around that would kill it at any given opportunity. I don't mind looking after all these beautiful beasties, however my limit inside is 4 for sure, it still boggles my mind how people can be so cruel and or stupid.

Cindy

chico2
March 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Aww Cindy,I love you for what you are doing,thank you!!
The morons who believe a cat can survive on his own out there in the cold,should try it themselves.:evil:
My 3 cats come out with me,go back in with me and they cannot handle more than 10min in the cold.
I cannot imagine how abandonned little cats survive in the cold with no food,you are a true kitty:angel: for helping them!

clm
March 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I can't help but care for these poor cats.
I doubt I'll ever be able to get close to the big ginger stray, he's too wild and I'm sure he's male, but the little black one that showed up last night I'm really hopeful I'll be able to get her to come to me. I was actually hoping she was just visiting last night and would be gone this morning, like maybe she has a home, but she was there when I left for work this morning, looked like she had been sleeping under one of my yews last night. Anyway, she's the most important one to get fixed if she's intact, so if I can get her fixed and her shots, I'll feel better. My big indoor/outdoor male isn't going to be happy she's around, but she's quick enough to get out of his way I'm sure. He's been neutered, but he's still pretty territorial although he's much better with female strays than males.
My husband is a real sap when it comes to stray beasties too, he chides me for how much all this is going to cost to feed them and vet them, but I'm always catching him checking to see if they're around and filling up their food and water dishes if they're empty.

Cindy

chico2
March 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
That's funny,although we don't see any strays around here(:fingerscr ),my husband is the same,fills up the birdfeeders every day,does not growl anymore about the cost of anything we feed:)
Good luck with the poor little black girl,I think she knew via cat-telegraph what house to go to:cat: