Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggie Arthritis

Okami
March 8th, 2007, 02:52 AM
=( my dog has been diagnosed with arthritis, she's a 12 year old rough collie. We're starting to notice that she's having a bit of trouble getting from laying position to standing on all fours. The pet recommended pain killers.... but I really want to know if she'll be ok without them first, and if I do decide to give her pain killers will it make her all groggy and sleepy? What do you think, should I feed her painkillers everyday (as the vet recommended)

The vet said the worst thing that could happen was if my dog gained weight, and put more pressure on the joints. I was wondering though is there a healthy non fattening treat I can give her to let her chew or lick at?

Hunter's_owner
March 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Have you considered giving her glucosamine and chondroitin? Many people have found very good results with this.

kashtin's kin
March 10th, 2007, 01:30 AM
There are a few drug and more 'natural' options out there; I think we've used Metacam (sorry if I'm fuzzy on the exact name) for inflammation/pain relief with noticeable side effects. Don't be afraid to do some research, and get some more opininions re: best treatment.

As for low-cal treats, does your dog like carrots? Just about every dog I've known well likes carrots (they still them from my horses :D ). Good luck with your dog!

TeriM
March 10th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I have had great success with using Glucosamine/Chondrotin supplements. My 65 lb lab gets one 500/400 combo twice daily. I would try that first (should notice results in few weeks-month). I also have Metacam on hand for those extra stiff days after the days when she still thinks she's a puppy. I don't find any side effects at all with it but make sure you give it with food.

Carrots are great, so are apples, bananas and lots of other fruit. If you are looking to amuse her then try mashing a banana and mixing in a little yogurt and stuffing a kong. It works even better if you semi-freeze it first.

mummummum
March 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
In terms of treats, just stay away from the commercial stuff which are generally just carbs. As TeriM noted carrots are good for gnawing on but they also have alot of sugar. Sometimes, the best "treat" is praise and lots of "lovins".

What "painkiller" did your Vet recommend ?

Mocha's mum
March 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'd try the supplements, and have some Metacam on hand for tough days (my pup has Metacam prn for back pain). I'm afraid that if the arthritis progresses, and she is in more pain, she might not want to get up at all, thus compounding the problem.

Good luck Okami!! Keep us updated on your pup!! :)

Okami
March 12th, 2007, 04:25 AM
:) I'm trying the carrots and apples, she loves them. Would it be ok to give her some peanut butter and non flavoured yougert as well?
I'm not sure what type of painkillers the vet gave us, it kind of made me uneasy since she told us to give to to mu dog everyday. I'll try the suppliments thanks!
She's still able to move around readily just not as fast as she used too, and she kind of has trouble walking up the stairs or standing up/laying down. We bought a pillow for her lay on and lessen the pain, but she still prefers the floor at times.
Also, I was wondering if shaving her for the summer would be a good idea (my dog is a rough collie :laughing: lassie look alike), she has alot of long hair, if I did shave her would it make it easier for her to move around, and would it make her feel better in the sumemr heat?

erykah1310
March 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=Okami;389013I'm not sure what type of painkillers the vet gave us, it kind of made me uneasy since she told us to give to to mu dog everyday./QUOTE]

Its actually very important to know what "pain killers" your dog is on,
Could you take a look at the bottle and see? Some of them have some pretty nasty side effects.