Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spca/vaccinations

Iggette
April 1st, 2004, 05:28 PM
Can someone tell me what is up with them?

I have heard comments here and there but am not sure what to believe.

Also does everyone agree to vaccinating every year I've heard some do some dont. If you don't why? Sometimes I think we over vaccinate I have seen many dogs do fine without them. But I do the rabies every year.
Whats your opinion

Thx

Chany
April 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Same here Iggette, so I've decided once Abbey is up to date with her vaccinations, I'm going to start checking her bloodwork yearly instead of just giving them to her. That way I'll know if her immune system is low, she'll get the shot. If its good then we'll wait another year.
This is a hard one because I don't want to hurt her either way. I think if I do it this way then everyone involved will be happy. Especially Abbey!!:D

Spoiled
April 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Well, you have to be careful. Having them up to date with their shots is great, but I've heard that too many shots can cause cancer.

Karin
April 1st, 2004, 06:45 PM
Not true. Vaccinations can not cause cancer. I do believe an older animal with a proper vax program and coming from parents with such has an immunity in place.
Parvo is the evilest of disease's and is common here. ( I live in a freakin' petri dish!) Tropical and warm climates do not help. Having a Rotti keeps me on guard. Rotti's , Dobermans and mixes of the same are more prone to Parvo. Maybe not prone but when they contract the disease the do not fight. They are more prone to die. The will to live I believe is 50% of the survival. Ciara grew up at the hospital I worked at. She was exposed so many times. In her first 2 years of life she must have had over 10 vaxs.
Reactions to vaccinations usually occur from either a Rabies given SQ or a Leptosporosis. Tell the vet to give these vax's IM next time and there should be no reaction.

Chany
April 1st, 2004, 06:49 PM
I didn't know the will to live is 50%. My first Rottie caught parvo but we were lucky, she made it. The vet wouldn't give me any guarantees but she did make it. She was one tough dog though...

Karin
April 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
With a parvo outbreak at the shelters I would assign as many people as I could muster to do nothing but cuddle, love and caress these poor little patients. The cuddle crew could go no where else for that day unless it was feline. Must love bleach too.
At a clinic, once exposed the first tech is on parvo detail. Meds, cleaning and cuddle crew and nothing else. Unless feline.
A parvo dog can be so nasty..bloody diarrhea and vomit. Who wants to cuddle that? Even a sick dog wants to feel clean and be loved. Maybe even more so.
Black & tan points and crosses seem to just give up.
With any parvo dog the will to live is very important.

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Vaccinations can not cause cancer.

Actually, cats CAN get sarcomas at the injection site. I'm not saying it's common, but it can happen.

I am having my dog vaccinated against rabies every 3 years as required by law. Other than that , I see no reason for a whole set of vaccinations annually.

Spoiled
April 1st, 2004, 08:49 PM
If the vaccinations last three years, why replace them? That's what we're going to do with my dog.

Luba
April 1st, 2004, 08:56 PM
Completely agree with LR

There are multitude of researches indicating vaccinations weaken and supress the immune system altering it to such inablility that it may not be able to fight certain diseases.

I'm NOT vaccinating Sadie annually.

She is getting her booster then rabies and thats IT!!

wAggie
April 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
yup, every 3 yrs

save the money... unless u DO wanna throw it into the vet's pockets :rolleyes:

Bill & Bob
April 6th, 2004, 08:36 PM
This is interesting to hear. Like the original poster said, you hear so much stuff and don't know what to believe. I'm a new dog owner and don't know anything about vaccinations. I hear once every year, once every three years, nothing, etc.
One thing I've noticed is that obedience classes, and dog walkers all require you provide proof of vaccinations before they will have anything to do with your dog. I don't plan on going the dog walking route, because that's my treat, but the obedience training is something I really want to do so I don't think I've got a choice.

wAggie
April 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
true, but what do they mean by up-to-date vaccinations?