Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Minnie and Butter

Mahealani770
March 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hello everyone,
Here is the original thread with pictures of Minnie and her little boyfriend who sits outside the living room window all day and all night, pining away for Minnie :cloud9: and tearing my window screens to shreds :frustrated:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35105

So, if you read the history on this situation, the rest of this thread will make sense and in case you can't see any of the old pics of Butter courting Minnie at the window..here's one...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/FeralMinnie.jpg

I still have yet to rent the humane trap and catch Butter because I don't have the money to neuter him, get shots, fix his cute little crooked mouth, and all that good stuff right now. It still breaks my heart to see him throwing himself at the window, trying to get to Minnie :yell: . I even found a dead mouse that Butter had killed and laid at the window that Minnie sits in. My romantic side tells me that it was a gift for Minnie..lol...but who knows. I have made great progress in getting him to trust me though. I have spent hours in freezng temperatures, trying to get close to him, feeding him, or looking for him to make sure he was safe. I've even had a few sleepness nights thinking about him outside in the cold. I even made a little cat house for him, during some very cold days, but he or some other cat sprayed all over it and it stunk so bad that I had to throw it out :yuck: So, there went that idea.
Tonight Butter got as close as he's ever been to me, about 5 feet away, while eating his food.
Anyway, I put Minnie on Nicky's leash and let her and Butter play out in the yard a few times. It was so interesting to see them interract. Butter seemed to show submissive behavior by laying down in front of her (practically under her) and rolled over on his back, at her feet. He did this several times. They played little bit and batted at eachother but then it started looking as if he was going to try and mount her. Playtime was over at that point and I haven't tken her back outside since..lol

Since Butter had come very close to my front door tonight, I decided to leave it open a crack so that he and Minnie could sniff eachother a little bit, but not enough so that the door would open more than about 2 inches. It was so cute. All I could see was Butter's little leg shooting in and out of the door while they were playing and batting at eachother. I tried to get pictures but my digital camera is so crappy that the pics look like hell. I'll post them just in case you can get the basic idea.

Here is Minnie looking at Butter on the other side of the door..

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/MinnieAtDoor.jpg

Here is the best pic I could get of Butter...it's terrible..lol

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/PHTO0094.jpg

And since I'm talking about her so much tonght, here's a proper picture of her...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/Perfect.jpg

Anyway, as I tried to get a closer shot of Butter's face, he reached into the doorway and scratched the hell out of my finger. He caught me on one of my cuticles and drew blood. I think we can safely assume that he has had ZERO shots so I'm a little worried. Am I going to come down with some horrible cat-scratch fever illness?

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Minnie is so big! :eek: She's so adorable!

I love Butter's tail. :lovestruck:

Not sure about the scratch... Did you wash it really well?

TeriM
March 8th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Minnie is looking beautiful :lovestruck: . Make sure you keep a close eye on the scratch. Keep it clean and use antibiotic cream if you have any. :thumbs up

Mahealani770
March 8th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Hey Prin! Do you really think Minnie is getting big? It's hard for me to remember how she looked when I brought her home that first day..lol

Teri, thanks for the compliment. I washed the wound with hot water and soap. I don't have any antibiotic cream, so I'm just winging this one :shrug:

dragon_queen
March 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I had one of my cats bite me many years age while I was trying to save her from the vetical blinds ( had a little chain on the bottom and she got caught while chasing my other cat) I had to get a tetnus shot and soak my hand in a mix of bleach and hot water (doctor's orders, kills bacteria but itches like crazy). I'd go and get the shot if you haven't had one in awhile, there are nasty things living on cats claws, especially outdoor cats.

DQ

chico2
March 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Mahealani,I don't believe a scratch is as bad as a bite,just watch it and keep it clean.
I had some very serious infected catbites a couple of times,where I needed emergency care,but never had problems with scratches,but they were from my own cats.
I hope there is eventually something you can do for Butter,he looks so pretty,but for now just feeding him is great,at least he does not have an empty tummy:cat:
Minnie is adorable:lovestruck:

Mahealani770
March 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by: Dragon_Queen
there are nasty things living on cats claws, especially outdoor cats.

:eek: I shudder at the thought. The memory of the dead mouse left at Minnie's window (probably by Butter) is enough to have me a little paranoid about this scratch :confused:

Originally Posted by: Chico2
I hope there is eventually something you can do for Butter,he looks so pretty,but for now just feeding him is great,at least he does not have an empty tummy

Yeah, I do what I can for him. I printed TONS of directions off the internet on how to build a proper cat shelter, so hopefully I can get that underway soon. I'm very protective of Butter and if something happens to him out there, I'd go crazy. I love him like he was one of my own and it kills me that he's homeless :sad:

clm
March 8th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Why don't you adopt butter, get him neutered and vetted and have a companion for your other cat?

Cindy

Kristin7
March 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
I think it's sweet how they are friends. My cats would be aggressive instead... the mouse sounds like a gift to me. I have been scratched by indoor/outdoor cats many times and never had a problem. Cat scratch fever is quite rare. As far as I know, cats aren't vaccinated for whatever causes cat scratch fever. If an indoor only cat were to scratch you, I'm guessing you would probably have a similar risk for picking something up.

Mahealani770
March 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
CLM -
Originally Posted by: Mahealani
I still have yet to rent the humane trap and catch Butter because I don't have the money to neuter him, get shots, fix his cute little crooked mouth, and all that good stuff right now

Mahealani770
March 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Butter now has a little kitten friend. I can't tell if it's a boy or a girl but it's just darling. He brought the kitten with him about a week ago, for feeding time. The kitty is too skiddish to come near me. It copied everything Butter did so I'm sure it's learning how to stay away from people. I heard this horrible coughing coming from a bush today, while outside with Nicky, and there was the sweet kitty. It's cough sounded terrible so I'm guessing it has a respiratory infection or god knows what else. Nicky needs his yearly shots, Butter needs everything under the sun, and now I've got to help this kitty too. I wish I could win the lottery :sad:

clm
March 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I have a couple of strays around right now that won't be caught either. I have hope for one of them to come to me with some serious effort. The other one, I'm doing like you and just providing food and shelter. With butter coming so close to the house as often as he does, you may be able to win him over, just keep working at it, talking low and gentle when he's close by. He looks young, the new kitten you may have better luck with. I hear you about the vet bills, I've spayed 2 strays and 2 rescues. 1 of them who's still allowed outside at will gets his shots every year, the 3 indoor only girls get theirs every 2 years. It's costly business. But they're so worth it.

Cindy

joeysmama
March 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I wish I could win the lottery

I wish you could too !! :fingerscr You're so sweet to take care of these kitties and I can tell how much you want to do everything you can. I hope you come into some money. It's so nice when the people who really deserve it get the windfall.

Keep us posted on Butter and his buddy. I see a 3 cat household in your future. ;)

Shamrock
March 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Mahealani, your Minnie is just adorable!:lovestruck: What a sweetheart. And what a sweetheart you are too for doing so much to help Butter and the new kitten.:highfive:
I wish you could win the lottery too! It's so hard wanting to help them more... but you are an angel for doing what you are.

I hope your wound is healing nicely now?:goodvibes:

As Chico mentioned.. scratches are not usually the infection concern as the deep penetration of a cat bite. As long as cleaned well, even deep scratches generally heal quite quickly.
When its your own cats that scratch or bite you, not so troubling.
Butter being feral and with unknown history... well that is more worrying of course. I understand your extra concern.
I once received a very deep bite from a shelter cat within an hour of bringing him home, poor guy was just so stressed. :sad: It quickly became infected, and required med.attention. With no background info on this boy, I fretted about this.

It does sound like Butter is slowly gaining trust though, hope he can be caught. He's a real sweetie too :cloud9: looks to be a very young adult.
Good luck with this, let us know how things are coming along :fingerscr

Prin
March 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM
How's your scratch? Did you go to the vet yet? :D :laughing: I hope it's healing ok.:) :grouphug:

Mahealani770
March 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Awe, thanks for your support, compliments and advice everyone. I really appreciate it :grouphug:
The scratch is little and seems to be doing fine. I tried to take a picture of it so that you can see how little it is...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l118/mahealani404/CatScratch.jpg

Prin..what the hell are you doing up at 2:30 in the morning? lol :eek:

joeysmama
March 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'm worried about what this says about me but my first thought when I saw the scratch was "Good thing it didn't mess up that beautiful manicure. !" LOL !!! Yes I'm shallow, but I've learned to embrace my shallowness. :laughing:

The scratch looks ok to me. It's hard to tell from the picture but if it isn't getting swollen or red and you're keeping it clean I think it's fine. :shrug:

Mahealani770
March 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Joey'sMama:
my first thought when I saw the scratch was "Good thing it didn't mess up that beautiful manicure. !" LOL !!!
LMAO...you're silly. Thanks for the compliment. But I was relieved that he didn't mess me up too bad because this manicure wasn't cheap! :eek: lol

Prin
March 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM
hehe, nice nails indeed! :cloud9: I never had me nails like that! :D But red is good. Yellow and green, not so much.:D

Mahealani770
March 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by: Prin
I never had me nails like that!

Was that meant to be said with a very thick sounding British accent? Because that's how I'm hearing it..lol:laughing:

Oh god...remind me to NEVER take that close of a picture of my fingers again! They look like fat sausages!!! Ewwww! :sad:

Prin
March 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM
lol I thought it was more of a country bumpkin accent.:D At least your fingers aren't furry in pics... I took a pic of my ring once and all the fuzz looked like full out fur.:laughing:

Mahealani770
March 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM
LMAO!! Stop it...you almost made me pee.

Prin
March 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hehe. Ok. I'll stop. But only because I have no good material left. :D

Mahealani770
March 19th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Ok, so I told you about the "present" that I think Butter left Minnie under "her" window...a poor little mousey :sad: Now, we have a dead bird under the window! :eek:

:rip: lil birdie and lil mousey:rip:

P.S. I'm making great progress with Butter. Now he runs towards me instead of away from me when I come outside. He has come as close as less than one foot away from me and even come into the doorway of the apartment to play with Minnie. I know I could trap him now if I wanted to..I just don't want to break his trust. I think this may be a catch, fix, and realease situation. I just don't know if he'd be happy inside :sad: . I dunno what to do:shrug:

chico2
March 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Aww Mahealani,poor birdie poor little mouse:rip: but I honestly really believe Butter is trying to show you or Minnie what a good cat he is.
In the cat-world(I know I was a cat once:laughing: )catching a prey and leaving it uneaten is a great compliment,he's bringing you food:thumbs up
I am happy to hear he's getting more comfy with you,who knows,he might be perfectly happy living with Minnie inside.
You know already that they don't fight,so that's a huge hurdle already passed,I think he would love his own home and girlfriend:lovestruck:

Prin
March 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think he'd be happy... Or he could be after a while... Or maybe Minnie is enough kitty for him to give up the outdoors..... reer...

I'm glad he's trusting you more though.:goodvibes: :grouphug:

Kutzy
March 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I donít know where you live, but many of the cat rescue groups and feral cat groups can give you advice on free spay and neuter clinics. Some of the shelters also have free spay and neuter clinics for feral cats. They can also advise you on the safe use of the traps if you have not used them before. I did a lot of research and got good advice from some of the feral cat websites when I was trying to help a feral kitty that appeared in our yard. I told the sad tale of my shadow cat in a previous posting. Butter looks like a very handsome kitty. It would be wonderful if you could help him. I would make sure he is healthy before you move him in with your other kitty. If you take him to your regular vet make sure they are aware he is a feral cat; not all vets will see feral cats. The cat rescue groups would probably take the kitten and find a foster home for it.

You can get cat scratch fever just as easily from your own indoor kitty. Do be careful and don't try to pet or handle Butter until you have traped him and had him checked out by a vet.

We had a little chipmunk that used to leave gifts outside the glass door for my Dulcie cat. He was fascinated by the cat and knew he was safe as long as the door was shut.
Fortunately he just left little piles of seeds!

Good luck with butter.

Mahealani770
April 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Butter hasn't been by in weeks:sad: The last time he came near me was when I got him to come inside the apartment. He actually came in, sniffed around and played with Minnie for a few minutes. Then at the slightest little sound that I made, he scampered off into the night. I saw him yesterday coming from the apartment complex next door. He hasn't come to see Minnie at the window, or come to the door for food in about 2 weeks. I started to think something had happened to him, but I guess he's just lost interest in Minnie and I. I wonder why he doesn't come see us anymore? Should I even continue to try and capture him? I don't know what to do now. Maybe he's happy with his freedom. :sad:
I've been so sad about this that I actually had a dream lastnight about rescuing all these animals and feeling all kinds of stress about them. This sucks. I've been stalling with trapping him because I have too many unanswered questions about what to do with him once I've got him. Maybe some of you can help me with these questions so I can come to a decision about whether to move forward or not.
For instance:

1.) How do you I train him to use a litterbox if I can't get near him to pick him up? I mean, really, how do you train a feral cat to use a box?

2.) Will he be happy in my little one bedroom apartment? Will Minnie be enough for him to be happy?

3.) What if he starts marking everywhere? I won't be able to get rid of that smell!!

4.) How do you train a feral cat to live indoors?

I think that's it. The rest of my questions are going to be for the people whom I get the trap from.

Thanks,
Mahealani

chico2
April 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Mahealani,if he is a feral cat,I doubt he would give up on daily feedings.
I also doubt he would willingly come in to your apartement to play with Minnie,so maybe he is not feral..
Maybe he belongs to some irresponsible catowner around your area,many house-cats would be skittish in a strange house,I know mine would be:cat:

Mahealani770
April 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hey there Chico,
Butter is feral. I know his history. The "cat lady" in my apartment complex has been feeding him since he was abandoned by his feral parents as a kitten but he has never allowed her to come near him. It has taken me MONTHS to gain his trust. He has just recently stopped running from me and started coming towards me, but not too close. He also just barely stepped into the apartment. Then he came in a little further, but he was so skittish that he couldn't even enjoy it. You gotta remember, it has taken MONTHS for me to gain his trust. It has taken 1,000 baby steps to just get a little back from him. I hope this helps you understand.
~M~

chico2
April 6th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I guess you are right,I had a feral cat coming to my house for 3 years,twice a day for feeding,the last year,he would let me sit on the deck 10 feet away to watch him..then one day he just did not show up anymore:sad:
The HS and I made many feeble attempts to trap him,but he was too smart..would not go in the humane trap and all HS was going to do was neuter him,take care of a couple of wounds and put him back here,but there was no way...:sad: