Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Awfully expensive MUTT

Slams_58
March 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I was at the pet store buying some crickets for my Chameleon, and saw these adorable pups. They were black and absolutely teeny.... chihuahua crossed with a ****zu.... how can you honestly charge ...... get this......... $899 for a mutt. It's not even one of the so called designer mutt... there's no quirky name for them or anything ( that I saw anyway) They had alredy sold 2... who honestly is dumb enough to pay that kind of money for a mutt? I was just annoyed by the whole thing!

Frenchy
March 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
:mad: Unbelievable ! That's why puppy mills keep doing what they do. cha ching :mad:

coppperbelle
March 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
People buy them on impulse. That is what the pet shops count on. I will no longer go to a pet shop that sells puppies or kittens. If we all did that then maybe they would get the hint.

kagu
March 7th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Um why would you pay that kind of money for a pure bred? Let's face it, all pure bred dogs were mutts at one time that we genetically mixed for our convience and aesthetic desires. And now adays lots of purebreds are often interbred and sick or likely to become sick. Around 20% of all shelter and rescue dogs are pure bred and are either too old to "do their duty" like greyhounds or are unpapered and therefore "worthless".

I GET why people breed, but I dont support it. Eugenics was wrong and proven more or less to be untrue in people why is it acceptable in animals? You can try all you want to get the characteristics you'd prefer in a litter but all animals are different. So you've go the two pups you wanted...and now what with the rest? I understand that there are a lot of breeders out there that are careful and carring but so many people are disgustingly irresponsable. And dont get me started on backyard breeders (my name for People breeding unpapered animals on the precept that they will make a few hundred dollars selling them in the paper or at the local walmart.) it's so wrong. I can understand breeding for love and preservation of the breed (even if I dont agree with it) but sometimes I think those people (the backyard breeders) are little short of devils.

kagu
March 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM
People buy them on impulse. That is what the pet shops count on. I will no longer go to a pet shop that sells puppies or kittens. If we all did that then maybe they would get the hint.

I agree, the moment I see anything larger than a gerbil, Im out. And even then that gerbil better be in a sparcely populated and spacious cage. I made the mistake of going into a Pet Co. once. I died a little inside. they had birds in hamster cages (the enclosed plastic ones that also double as hermit and lizard environments) and their rats were, like, 7 to a cage. it was aweful.

wildhair
March 7th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I know what you mean. I was looking through the paper here... for some reason my eyes always scan to the pet pages. of course there were the usual random breeds of retrievers that were going for around 200 for papered, but the peke a pooh varieties, although cute, were more than the papered animals!
personally, i go for temperament in the animals. I like Aussies because they are sweet, smart and loyal they are a big dog, but not too big. I get an Aussie and in general, i know they are that way. It appeals to me. it is a fact that chihuahuas are a little high strung and bull dogs slobber. These are characteristics that i am not looking for in my animals.
I guess what i am saying is in a way i defend the breeders. when i was a kid there were always folks at the local park selling mixed breed poochers out of a box that had "FREE" printed on it. I am sure they were wonderful dogs as well. but now we pay more for the "FREE" dogs than the pure breds.
But I do agree on the puppy mill pet shop comments. I will not go into a pet store that sells dogs or cats. I am horrible. I have that... "no one will buy this poor one eyed gold fish so I must save it" syndrome. I am sure folks think that i am one morbid person with my tank of deformed fishies.

WildHair

CyberKitten
March 8th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Frankly, I don't even like a store with gerbils - how can they really properly care for them - and I do qwonder how many fish they loose over the months!!! Just my thoughts on the subject!