Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For those who adopt older pets

Shamrock
March 7th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum:confused: .. and apologize if it's been posted before, but it deeply touched my heart and I wanted to share it.

ONE BY ONE

"One by one, they pass by my cage..

Too old, too worn, too broken, no way.
Way past his time, he can't run and play.
Then they shake their heads slowly and go on their way.
A little old man, arthritic and sore
It seems I am not wanted anymore.
I once had a home, I once had a bed,
A place that was warm, and where I was fed.
Now my muzzle is grey, and my eyes slowly fail.
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?
My family decided I didn't belong,
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.
Whatever excuse they made in their head,
can't justify how they left me for dead.
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The younger dogs get adopted away.
When I had almost come to the end of my rope,
you saw my face and I finally had hope.
You saw thru the grey and the legs bent with age,
and felt I still had life beyond this cage.
You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
and shared your own pillow with my poor tired head.
We snuggle and play and you talk to me low,
you talk to me dearly, you want me to know.
I may have lived most of my life with another,
but you outshine them with a love so much stronger.
And I promise to return all the love I can give
To you, my dear person, as long as I live.
I may be with you for a week or for years,
we will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that God deems I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve.
And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
my thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear."

Author unknown

coppperbelle
March 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
OMG that made me cry. A few months ago I was told about an older golden boy at a shelter that was scheduled to be euthanized. No one would adopt him, he was too old, had weak back legs. I went to check him out to see if he was adoptable. When I got there and saw him lying on the cold floor I couldn't leave him so I brought him home, fed him, walked him and gave him a pillow to sleep on. I told him how beautiful he was and that I would do everything I could to find him a new home and if I couldn't find one he would stay with me. It took a few weeks but his legs got stronger and he began to shine again. He was adopted by an angel who didn't mind that he had weak legs, couldn't hear and that he may only have a few years left here on earth. I am going to send this poem to her.

Thank you for sharing it.

Frenchy
March 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I am going to send this to Carole, Woody's future mommy.

breeze
March 7th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I am going to to cry

Frenchy
March 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I am going to to cry

Go ahead Breeze. After I read the poem, I went on pefinder and looked at the senior dogs looking for homes. :sad: I want to adopt them all :yell:

mummummum
March 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Sadly, it's people like us who read a poem such as this and weep over the unjustice of these needlessly lost lives ~ it's never the people who need to hear and understand this message the most. :sad:

breeze
March 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Go ahead Breeze. After I read the poem, I went on pefinder and looked at the senior dogs looking for homes. :sad: I want to adopt them all :yell:

we need bigger homes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Frenchy
March 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
My 3 dogs were older rescues. Bailey was the youngest at 5-6 years old. Daisy and Sam were 8 years old. :lovestruck:

Byrd
March 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I've always said that if I won the lottery I would buy a big farm, fence off a pasture of about 20 acres and adopt a bunch of senior horses to put them out to retire in freedom, my own elderly herd. I'd also adopt a bunch of senior dogs too, to give them love for their final years. "Byrd's Retirement Centre for Four Leggeds". :o

TeriM
March 7th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I've seen this before but it greatly tugs at my heartstrings so thanks for posting it :) .

Furbaby Momma
March 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM
With hot tears rolling down my cheeks, I Thank You Shamrock for sharing this poem. :love:

Dogastrophe
March 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM
We adopted Monty when he was guesstimated to be between 6 and 8 years old (turns out he was closer to the 8 range). He had some creaky joints, prone to sinus infections, and a few other minor medical issues. He was with us for just over 2 years (far too short of a time) before we lost him at the young age of 10 to a spleen tumour.

He was passed over in the shelter for over a month. A lot of people missed out on an absolutely fantastic dog (their loss!!). It's been just about 5 months since we lost him and we still miss him dearly and think about him daily. :dog: :pawprint: :cat:

we3beagles
March 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Oh my gosh I am sobbing. My little Polly who I adopted last fall is 12 years old and deaf. She is such a little light in my life and I will always have a senior doggie. All they want is cuddles and good food. She is constantly at my side and it sometimes takes her a little while to come up the stairs to bed, but I like to think that I will have at least a few years with her. She has really gotten a lot younger since she got here. I guess it is all the puppies that hang around her and want to play. I kills me that her daughter is still on the website, but I am at my limit with 4 and a constant foster. At least I know she is in a good foster home.

Frenchy
March 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM
My little Polly who I adopted last fall is 12 years old and deaf.

Polly is sooo cute ! I have a thing for older female Beagles. :cloud9:

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Awww, that makes me think of my Beau who we adopted at age 10 with a heart murmur and some ppl were wondering whether he'd be better off eutheized. I cannot understand ppl sometimes. He is doing so well - jumps to the top of the cat tree and everything! Gawd!! And he goes to the vet every couple of weeks for a test but meomy here gets out her stethoscope just to make sure - call me one of those mommies who worries too much, lol but I figure better to check as often as possible. and I have learned much about cardiac issues and cats - not that different from humans tho the anatomy and physiology are QUITE different - an important detail.

Thx for the poem - it was very touching@!!

(I also think the younger cats make him feel younger too since they seem to be very cautious around him yet let him get away with LT. Of course, they are all girls and he is the only guy - maybe they are flirting, lol

Lise
March 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
This is Jack who was a senior rescue,my beautiful old freind.It's nice helping an older guy especially one who had a pretty lousy past.We can't change their pasts but we can make their now and tomorrows happy and safe.

Maya
March 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I'm not going to read it again or i'll start to cry. I plan on taking in an older dog or kitty when I can afford to. It's so special seeing them light up when they finally get the love they deserve.

CyberKitten
March 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thought I'd share a pict of my 10 year old - I don't think he looks his age but then again, I am very biased!! And he such a sweetheart about taking his meds one would never know he had any health probs - sometimes I wish people were like that, lol (But don't tell my patients I said that - they are mostly good and I don't blame them if they get upset at painful procedures which they usually endure with much grace and courage. just like my Beau! - tho we also call him Beaureguard but like to call him Beau which in French means beautiful and we think he is :)

The second picture is of him and YY - she takes care of him tho here we were joking that they look like a long time married couple, lol They have certainly bonded well so that's good. I think she has won the contest wouldn't you say, lol?

Alas, this is not YY's best pict but we all have bad hair days, lol

Frenchy
March 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I love the first pic CK , cool eyes ! rrreeerrrr :cat:

we3beagles
March 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm not a cat person, but yours are gorgeous! Your right he doesn't look his age.

meb999
March 11th, 2007, 02:13 PM
thanks for sharing....

athenamor
March 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for sharing. Loved the poem, may print it out and frame it...