Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Stolen in Ottawa

BusterBoo
March 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
This was in the Ottawa Sun today.....

Daniel Labrie and his family have been kept awake all week by a nightmare scenario -- that their stolen pet has been dealt the same cruel fate as a dog left to die in a stairwell last month.

"This isn't a stereo or TV that was stolen," Labrie says. "It feels like a kidnapping happened in our family."

Blade, a nine-month-old Staffordshire terrier, was untied from a double knot attached securely in front of a Shell gas station on Merivale Rd. Sunday as Labrie was inside using the bank machine.

A witness saw a man pull Blade into a Blueline taxi parked at the gas station. It was the last time the dog was seen.

Police on case

Police are hot on the trail of the dog-napper, who has traumatized the Labrie family. They have been spending sleepless nights worrying about their cherished pet.

Along with his wife, Wendy, and their sons Jessie, 16, and Ricky, 13, Labrie has been trying to collect as much information as possible about their poached pooch.

Labrie, 40, was walking Blade to the gas station, near Woodward Ave., around 3 p.m. and tied up the dog while he went inside for only a few minutes.

When he came out, Blade was gone.

"At first I thought he broke his leash, then I started screaming his name out," Labrie recalls.

A man at the pumps told Labrie about the cab, which police have tried to trace, but it's believed the fare changed cabs after visiting a liquor store at the Hampton Park Plaza.

Where Blade is now is a mystery.

Police are waiting to receive surveillance tape from the Shell station to identify the thief, who might be named Richard, going by the name he used to order the cab.

Blade, a pit bull-type dog, is light brown and white and he was wearing a muzzle.

The family got the dog about seven months ago after a house on Kirkwood Ave. caught fire and the original owner could no longer care for the pet.

Labrie usually takes Blade for a walk on the same route every day.

Wendy Labrie, 33, can't stop worrying that Blade has been left somewhere to die, like the Boxer-type dog that was found in the stairwell of a Gloucester St. highrise in February.

Blade's thief "just ripped our home apart," Wendy says.

"He must have not had anything he's ever loved taken away from him."

Anyone with information about the stolen dog is asked to call police at 613-236-1222, ext. 2266.

Aodhan
March 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
It's a sad thing and I'm sure the owners are so worried. I would too if my dog had been taken from me. I hope this turns out well for everyone (except the @%#$% who made off with the dog)

I'd venture the Labries live in Ottawa, right?

If so, a question begs to be asked: Bill 132 went into effect in August 2005, right? The Staffordshire is covered under that bill, so that would make the dog a prohibited one, right? :confused:

Feral_cats
March 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Blade has been found
Cross posted from BIN
"OK I have goose bumps
The owner of Blade just stopped by the pet store to get a new muzzle...why because the cops had enough tips called in today that they were able to end their search for the Pit Bull that was stolen.
The owner came in to tell us that he was on his way to the shelter to pick up his dog. (the dog no longer had his muzzle or leash) The cops had been contacting the owner throughout the day with updates- the last call was to inform him that they have Blade and he could pick it up at the shelter. (guess there's a law or something that they have to turn in dogs to the shelter..who knows) Anyways the couple are happy to get their boy back. The cops cannot tell them where they found the dog or if the person who took the dog was caught.
They were so happy that the city stepped up and called in tips that finally helped them get their dog back....life is good. "

chico2
March 8th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Great news,yes,really goose-bumpy news...:dog:
I can imagine the owners are exstatic:highfive:

TeriM
March 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Great news :thumbs up .