Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Going on a trip - Odin is being boarded!

raingirl
March 7th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I was just curious if anyone had any tips/suggestions for me as this is the first time I am leaving Odin with someone while I am going away somewhere. I'm dropping him off tonight and I leave after work tomorrow. I should be back sometime Monday, don't know when, but I decided to pick him up Tuesday after work.

I'm leaving him with the fosters who had him before we got him from the rescue. They have had bulldogs their entire lives, and since he lived with them for a few months, they know him already.

I guess I'm just worried that something will happen while I'm gone. I've never been away from him for more than one night, and that was only because the vet had to put him under because he got string stuck in his teeth and he had to spend the night at the vets. I cried when I had to leave him, and I'll probably cry tonight too.

Anything you all could suggest that I might forget? Because I cook for him, I have 14 meals (2 per day for 7 days, plus some extra) already in individual containers frozen for him that they just need to microwave and thaw. I have his meds, extra tubes of lube for his dry eye. I will also pack some of his blankets but should I bring any toys? I don't know if he is toy agressive, because he hasn't been around other dogs with toys before. He likes to play tug with his toys with us though, and he tends to growl a lot, but it's not a mean growl, it's a play growl, because if we don't try and take the tow, he stops and trys to get us to get it again and wiggles his bum. it's quite cute actually. I guess I should send him with a few toys, just in case. I also need to hit a pet store to get some treats for him to send along, since I'm out. Anything else I might not remember? I also have a card for my vet, a list of all his issues/feeding instructions/etc, numbers to contact in an emergency, etc.

I guess I'm more worried because I know that there will be other dogs there this week too. He is ok with the other 2 bulldogs there, but the fosters have a new pug as well, a foster pug, and may be watching 2 cairn terriers as well! Odin is fine with big dogs, but he can have issues with smaller dogs if they bark at him a lot. He isn't a dog that likes to "play" with other dogs. He prefers to be on his own and not be bothered by them.

They will have a crate for him, if they need to use it. I am going to suggest that they crate him while they are gone, and possibly at night as well, until they can see how he is with the other dogs. Also, if they have a room they can close him into for a bit on his own, that would be fine too. He has a crate where I am, but I don't close the door on it anymore, he just goes in and out when he feels like it (he sleeps in it at night most of the time). He has been crated before, so he should be ok if they close the door.

Am I worrying too much? I guess I would feel more comfortable if it was just him and the other bulldogs, it's just that I don't know the other dogs, so I worry. I hope Odin doesn't do anything and I hope he is ok while I'm gone!!

Winston
March 7th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Raingirl.....I think you have covered everything....I give you credit ...I dont think I could leave my guy.( I am a suck and would miss him ) ...the only thing I would suggest you do is give him something for inside the crate that smells like home or you....and maybe if a proper introduction is done with the other dogs everything should go well....

Best of Luck

Cindy

P.S Have a good time away!

raingirl
March 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I will be sad and will probably call like every day to make sure he is ok, but I need a vacation (haven't had one in 2 years!)

I am taking his bed and his crate mat to the foster's house to make him feel better. I hope he doesn't think i'm leaving him there!!

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think you have most of it covered... The only thing I would suggest is making any emergency things clear... Like if he has a trauma, do they immediately go all the way in treatment without waiting to contact you (if they can't reach you right away) or do they wait for your ok? That kind of thing...

raingirl
March 7th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Perfect. I never thought of that. I'm going to ask my sister tonight if she would be my "eyes" while I'm gone if there is an emergency and they can't reach me (i.e. if they have to take him to the vet and there is any decisions to be made, she can make them) because she lives near my vet and because if there was an emergency with Odin, she would be the one I would be asking to borrow money from either way.

Hopefully nothing like that happens though. :fingerscr I just hope he behaves himself. Even if he ends up spending a lot of time in a crate, it would be better than spending time in a cage boarding at the vets or a kennel. They have a yard, so at least he can run around outside a lot which he loves.

I also hope that none of these dogs he's around are sick, since he can't get vaccinations and is more prone. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

I guess I'm just nervous. this is probably how you feel when you have kids and have to leave them with a babysitter the first time!!

Lissa
March 7th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Frist of all, control your emotions:D No crying or tension when you are around Odin - cry all you want on the drive home but don't let yourself be upset in front of him.:love:

Secondly, and something that has nothing to do with leaving him - I wouldn't microwave his food to defrost it... If possible, have them take it out the night before and the morning of so it defrosts on its own (microwaving zaps nutrients). But if they do have to microwave the food, ask that they don't do so in plastic containers.

I tend to be the one that dog-sits for other people so its really important that you tell them little details that are so routine to you, that you don't think about them. Like whether or not your dog will ask to go out, how many poops he does each day (gross I know but it will let you know if somethings wrong), how you've trained him (like if you want him to be crated at dinner so he's not begging) etc... Even though I know my friend's and their dogs pretty well, there's always something I wish I'd asked or known about before hand!:)

mummummum
March 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Further on the "in the event of a medical emergency" thinking, I would put any authorization for treatment you are granting to your designee's (the fosters, your sister) in writing. That way they have something to take to your Vet or an Emergency Vet Clinic if needs be.

Copy your microchip papers, licence dox and any recent vaccination certs, a written list of medication and dosages he is taking at present along with any supplements he takes and tuck that in with your contact info.

And chill for gracious sake ~ :crazy: you need this time away and Odin will have a ball ! Gawd ~ I'm sooooo jealous! :p HAVE FUN ! :crazy:

TeriM
March 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I would consider throwing in a recent picture of him. Just a worse case scenario thing but if he escaped it would be very helpful for them.

Don't worry so much, he'll probably do just great :thumbs up .

gomez
March 8th, 2007, 05:13 AM
raingirl, you have covered ALL the bases... now relax! He will be fine, he knows the home he is going to, the people have taken care of him before and seems they know about dogs...

Gomez had 2 favourite "puppy camps" back in the UK - one was the home of his trainer and the other was the home of his walker - we would alternate them when we travelled - he loved both camps equally, whenever we ran into one of his sitters in the park, he would tear off and want to continue his day with them and their pack...!

Sometimes I thought he preferred his sitters to us!

Really, try not to worry or be sad, he will probably have a ball while you are away, think of it as sleep away camp or a slumber party for him -

Now I have to start all over again finding him suitable "puppy camps" here in Australia!

Have fun on your trip!

raingirl
March 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Well, i dropped him off. he was fine. I was fine. I think he will have fun. I hope my laptop will connect to the hotel internet fine, because they said they would email me updates of how he is doing!