Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat problem

Kelly_ann1980
March 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Hello everyone!

My uncle brought home a 3mos old kitten which he is very cute and small. Joey gets all the attention from them. I think Mickey is feeling left out, he wants to be the top cat. Well Molly doesn't bother with him and she doesn't like Joey playing with her. Mickey was ok with the kitten at first but now he doesn't seem to want the little guy around. He seem really depressed now, eats less food then before, runs away from them now and doesn't play when the kitten is around. Mickey was very hyper and use to eat like a pig before Joey came along. Should they be concern for Mickey or do you think he is jealous of the kitten. Please let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

CyberKitten
March 7th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Did you introduce them properly? Slowly, cautiously, providing the new kitty his own place and let the other sniff his "place" but no formal meeting till each (new kitten) and resident cats had sniffs of each other (using either towel trick or vanilla technique - there is a thread here - recent that asked about introducing new cats and it is here - rather than rewrite that, I will refer you to that, ca n't be too far off)

My point is if you did not do that, this may be one explanation. One cat was the alpha before and unless the intros have been made the proper way, you have problems. If it is not done that way, you may have to go back to square one and start over - as if you just brought the kitten home.

So all cats feel secure and have their own litter bix (Rule o thumb is one litter box per cat plus one) - some cats need their own , others wil lshare but it is always good to have enough - especially with a new member, you;d want a new one for the kitten anyway since he must have had a box in his new room or place when you first brought him home before integrating him.

If you did all the intros proper;ly amnd there were o probs, and Mickey was the alpha before, he may be upset with change and cats loathe change of any kind in their routine. Cats do not get jealous - it is a human trait, not a feline one. They do however, have space and territory that is acrosinct to them and any neqw kitten is taking part of that space and even some attention if he likes attention. Cats - and this has been verified by vet studies - can become quite depressed if stressed so I would bring Mickey to the vet, explain the situation and maybe have him give him something or you can try rescue remedy or Feliway. Depressed or stressed cats can become ill if not attended do - they can develop kidney problems or various diseases. If he is not eating as well, that is also not a good sign. I'd get a physical even if everything went well in the week or weeks or so it took to introduce them all.

That is, if the intros were all done as they should be and the new kitten was not not just thrown into the mix and it was expected all would work well. It does not work that way - with cats even more so than dogs. Stil;l, I;d bring Mickey to the vet to be sure.

Good luck!

Inisfad
March 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I couldn't have said it any better myself. The introduction is of paramount importance to alleviate all sorts of problems. And sometimes one cat just takes a real dislike to another, again even more so if the introduction is not done in a very subtle non-threatening way. But I think it's a good idea to take Mickey to the vet and advise what's going on to see if the vet can suggest anything. And I would make sure that I gave Mickey tons and tons of attention too.