Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Porcupine trouble

Okami
March 6th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I've always allowed my dog to roam free in my fenced backyard or lounge around (leashed) in my front yard. Lately we've found quills in her paw and around her chest we figured a porcupine had passed by in the front yard and she was curious =/. So we let her run around in the backyard and yet again we found quills, this time in her nose and around her muzzle. I tried calling animal control and they wont remove it they said we have to do it ourselves or call pest control. Alot of the pest control I've tried uses pellets or powders that kill the animal when they ingest it, now I don't want to kill the porcupine I just want it removed, and I certainly do not want any kind of poisons around my house especially when my neighboorhood has so many dogs and cats around. What should I do?

hazelrunpack
March 6th, 2007, 05:23 PM
The Dept of Natural Resources might have live traps available. Don't know what you'd bait it with, though.

The tail can pack quite a whallop. The teeth are rather formidable, too... and trying to catch a porcupine would be dangerous if you didn't know what you were doing. In the end you might either have to resign yourself to killing the porcupine or hoping it moves on.

Meanwhile, though, you shouldn't leave your dog outside unattended. If the porcupine scores a direct hit on your dog's face with its tail, you'll have more than just a few quills to contend with. Dogs have died after bad quillings. This is not a trivial problem...

Good luck! :fingerscr

coppperbelle
March 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Could you use a humane trap? Many municipalities loan them to their residents. They then will take the animal and release it somewhere far away.

hazelrunpack
March 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
An afterthought--you say your dog had quills in her nose and around her muzzle. Were they imbedded deeply? Is it possible that she's found a porcupine carcass somewhere and is trying to play with it or eat it?

Also--around here, now that we have snow, the porkies are wandering out onto the gravel roads and can't get back up the banks pushed up from the plow. Is it possible there is a porcupine trapped somewhere by deep snow within reach of your dog?

The reason I ask is that usually porcupines prefer to be in trees...unless they can't get to them... :shrug:

Okami
March 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM
=( we found out that the porcupine has made a home under our porch. I keep my dog in at all times now, I really hate the fact that she can't roam around in my back yard though (she seems so bored inside when she's not on a walk).

happycats
March 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
They love wood, and may eat part of your deck. Try a humane trap, (as others suggested) and put peeled banana's in it (I heard they love banana's) good luck!

hazelrunpack
March 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM
bananas! Who would have thought that!? I'll have to remember that :thumbs up Thanks, happycats!

Another thought--a piece of salt lick might be a good bait. Porkies chew on treated wood for the salt content...I guess they have a chronic need for salt since they don't get much in their diet. I'll bet they'd come to a trap for salt...

happycats
March 7th, 2007, 08:29 PM
bananas! Who would have thought that!? I'll have to remember that :thumbs up Thanks, happycats!

Another thought--a piece of salt lick might be a good bait. Porkies chew on treated wood for the salt content...I guess they have a chronic need for salt since they don't get much in their diet. I'll bet they'd come to a trap for salt...

I saw a captive one and it just LOVED bananas, so I tried feeding the one at our trailer bananas and it loved it (so did the racoon's and skunk :rolleyes: )
rabbits love bananas too!:D

doggy lover
March 9th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Once you get the porcupine out of its hiding place use chicken wire around the bottom on the porch to keep it out.

Dog Dancer
March 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Good luck. Sounds like you'll have to trap and remove it. They don't actually throw quills like some folk believe, so if you get it trapped you'd just have to be really careful making sure you can't get hit by the tail yourself when moving it. At least you found out where it is, that's a start.

If the dog can't get under the porch you can put down carpet tack strips so the critters don't want to walk around under there. We use them around our bee hives to keep the skunks away. They work great. Otherwise I agree that chicken wire or something to keep them from coming back is best. Hope the dog was okay after getting quilled.

PetFriendly
March 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Human pee is usually a good deterant... Especially from a man. Spot lights and a radio works for racoons and skunks, might work for them too.

If you call to get a humane trap, tell them its for a large ferral cat... Most places, Ontario especially, have outlawed moving animals from their 'natural spaces'.