Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

woops...advice? - washing mineral oil out of fur

kagu
March 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM
So....yeah. I made a less than bright move earlier today.
My cat has incredibly dry fur. We just adopted him and his coat was rather poor. we've got him a diet that's improving it but lately he's been building up a lot of static....so I thought putting a little oil on his coat would help (mineral oil). It's safe to consume and I figured after ten minutes or so Id wash it off and it would be a kitty safe oil treatment....well now it doesnt want to wash off. I bathed him pretty well and have the holes in my arm to show for it. I have a poor pathetic sticky kitty that hates me and Im not sure how to fix that. I hate to resort to Dawn dish soap but right now that's all i've got in my head. any more cat friendly ideas?

Prin
March 5th, 2007, 07:28 PM
IMO, you have to do whatever you can to get that oil off your cat. If the cat breathes the oil in, the oil will coat the lungs and asphyxiate the cat.

For the dry skin, maybe the food you've chosen isn't good enough to help the coat. Check out the food forum here for ideas.

rainbow
March 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Awww, your poor kitty. I agree you need to get the oil off him and Dawn is what they use to remove oil from wildlife. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

BTW, welcome to the forum and what are you feeding him?

kagu
March 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I dont think he's going to asphixiate I mean it's vet recommended for other conditions like ear mites and it's perfectly safe to eat. he's just...sticky..and unhappy. but we started him on science diet hairball control. it's supposed to help the coat so it's stronger and sheds less. I mean I know alot of people say you can give animals a raw egg but im not terribly comfortable with that. and he seems to have been trained not to eat people food. well anyway- im off to clean my poor kitty.

Prin
March 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry, but it's not safe to eat. Hundreds of babies die every year because they try to eat it and end up breathing in a bit. If you look at Johnson and Johnson's baby oil, they've got warnings like crazy about it. Better safe than sorry, and there are so many better oils to put on their food than mineral oil. Fish oil is far better.
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/products/biofats.htm

Prin
March 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Here check these out:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m7700.htm
http://johnsonsbaby.johnsonsbaby.com/products/oil/baby-oil (read the warnings)

kagu
March 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
hm. There's no way we're talking the same sort of mineral oil. the variety you've got posted says harmful if ingested but the kind I've got is specifically for ingestion. It can be purchased at any walmart or rite aid. The stuff you've got doesnt seem like it would be safe out of an extremely controled environment. the stuff I've got is meant to help relieve constipation. It's over by the metamucil fiber. It's lubricating for hair ball control and (why I got it) helps relieve the itching caused by ear mites. Wow, I can understand why you were nervous if that's the stuff you thought I was using. Oh boy. Nope- I promise Im not a sadistic cat smotherer.

But at any rate everyone will be happy to know that dawn did the trick. kitty is oil free, cleaner, softer, and only slightly more upset with me than before. (you all know that face your cat makes when he's wet? yeah I've had it for the passed ten minutes as he furiously straightens every hair I've put out of place) I cant blame him, he's been sticky, wet, still sticky and wet in the span of about 6 hours.

Thanks for the concern everybody. Being a new adoptive mommy Im sure I'll be around from time to time.

night!

Spirit
March 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I'm sorry, but it's not safe to eat. Hundreds of babies die every year because they try to eat it and end up breathing in a bit. If you look at Johnson and Johnson's baby oil, they've got warnings like crazy about it. Better safe than sorry, and there are so many better oils to put on their food than mineral oil. Fish oil is far better.
http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/products/biofats.htm

Actually, mineral oil, malt, and petroleum jelly, and among some the ingredients in many hairball formulas for cats. In small amount, it's perfectly safe. Baby oil has many other ingredients that is harmful to both humans and cats (it's not the mineral oils in Johnson's that's harmful).

Mineral oil is great for constipation (in humans and cats), along with castor oil. I would assume the castor oil would not be very safe for cats, but the mineral oil definitely is. Liquid petroleum, and white mineral oil however (as in your link), is not.

jessi76
March 6th, 2007, 12:33 PM
for future reference, rubbing a dryer sheet over the cat's fur will help zap the static.

glad to hear your kitty is oil free now.