Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are collar with tag good ideas or danger for cats?

redhed
March 5th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Hello,
It's been awhile since I posted but you folks always have good advice so I am asking for it again. I'm sure there must be discussions on my collar quiery but I am unable to find them ( same reason I cannon post pics of my kitties so far .....computer saviness not that great...LOL ). I adopted 2 adult cats in January that had been surrendered together. They had been in their original home for 7 and 5 yrs respectively ( may be mother and son ).....then they went to another home where they supposedly didn't get along with each other......he wouldn't let her in litter box? Well they have never had a problem with that at my home but we clean the litter box at least once a day and they let us know if we are a minute late doing that...ha ha. They seem to be starting to feel comfortable that they won't be yanked away from this home and returned to the shelter.....showing us their tummies more which is supposedly a sign of trust. I have been letting them outside for awhile in the mornings ( I hover ) she doesn't go very far and is always in view but he wanders off for a half hour - 45 minutes. He likes to go out in the dark so I am not letting him as I think he sticks closer when neighbors dogs are out for their morning constitutional. But back to my question......is it safe for cats to wear collars? My cat that went missing in late August had worn one and was outside one day and when I went to let her in she had her paw up to the elbow stuck in there....I didn't put it on her again as she wouldn't have been able to run from preditors etc......I was also afraid she may get hung as she liked to climb up in the apple tree etc. She had a microchip implanted but that hasn't brought her home to me yet ( yes I'm still hopeful she will show up ) as a matter of fact the vet said if someone brought her in she wouldn't check for it unless the bring-in-ees asked !!!! I'm still ticked about that as she is an unusual and extremely beautiful cat and the vet saw her regularly and should recognize her. Why get a microchip if even vet who should recognize her won't check......said it would be too upsetting to think that 2 families would be fighting over her.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRR....I'm guessing it would be same story for tattoo.....and "cat theives" could easily remove a collar.......I do trust that most folks would call the owner as I have had many many people call me on cat sightings ( recently as a month ago ) and would really like to help me find her.....but I have heard tales of people desperately looking for their cats only to see them in someone else's living room windows despite continuous advertising etc. Okay enuff venting I guess.....does anyone have advice on the sure-est way to have a lost kitty returned? I mean should they wear a collar and tag or is the danger too much. I just can't come to terms with keeping them totally indoors......I do hover when they are out....never leave them out when I'm going somewhere etc...but my baby went missing when she got spooked at daughter's home so in case they should get chased by the neighbor's dogs ( who do not obey leash laws ) . Thanks everyone.:confused: ...................redhed

marsupial mama
March 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
well, I am new to having a pet - we adopted a kitten from the local shelter last month. They gave me a collar there, with tags, and said she should wear it when she gets a little bigger. She;s an indoor kitty (local by-laws and our preference) but if she ever got out I would want to get her back! The collar is too big for her yet though. It's a break-away collar which is what the shelter folks advised ,that way if it caught on anything and snapped open, kitty could get away safely.

So maybe a breakway collar is the way to go? Then again, if the cat was outside, got into problems, got away and left the collar behind, she still couldn;t be identified... :confused:

My cat is microchipped too but it's a bit of a shock to realize vets don;t always scan the cats that are brought in.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say on the matter. This is my rambling two cents...

I hope your missing kitty comes home soon :cat:

Shamrock
March 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Kudos to you for adopting these two kitties in need of a loving home redhed.:highfive:

I'm sorry that you lost your other kitty..:sad:. Its a heartbreak, isnt it?

Unfortunately if someone really wants to keep your pet.. no id is going to help.

SPCA's and private rescues of course check all found animals for microchips/tattoos, but it's correct that vets do so only on request, or know that the animal is lost.
In some cases too, if the microchip is an older one.. the testing equipment used may not pick it up.:confused:

Not everyone likes collars on cats, a matter of personal choice in this decision.
Though I used to shun them, I now feel all cats should wear them myself.

Collars are the very first thing people look for if they find an animal.. and want to return them.
Because of that, they are the best" first line" resource in having your cat returned.
They should be carefully fitted, it 's important that they're not too loose or too snug to reduce the dangers. The breakaway feature is, I believe, the only kind of cat collar sold today, but I've found some better than others, so its good to test a few types to see how readily the collar actually "breaks"..
Removing and checking around kitty's neck area regularly for any matts or irritation is important too if they wear a collar - especially long-haired cats.

But, as collars can come off...they shouldnt be the "only" id either.

One of my 3 cats escaped once, was missing for 6 days,... luckily was returned.:cloud9:
A horrible realization at that time was that, as an indoor cat.. he had no id of any kind other than an ear tattoo. I didnt think it necessary:sad: .

Since then .. all 3 cats and the dog have tattoos, microchips, and wear collars with tags. It may be 'overkill', but if they ever "did" get lost, I've covered all bases to identify them and bring them back home.:fingerscr

clm
March 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Better off to keep them as indoor cats only if you can. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Cindy

LM1313
March 5th, 2007, 11:02 PM
My dilemma is that any collar that is safe (has the expanding elastic or a safety catch) is quickly disgarded by my cats. :rolleyes: And anything that is more "traditional", they get caught in their mouths trying to get it off. Fortunately that's only happened when I'm around to rescue them . . . after two instances of that, I didn't try buckle collars any more.

I do think it's added insurance, if you cat get your cat to keep on a safe collar. My parents' cat has always worn a collar and fortunately doesn't seem to mind it. I with mine would adapt as well!

I'm sad to hear that your vet doesn't scan new arrivals . . . When I took in a stray, I took her to two different vets on different occasions and both of them automatically scanned her when they heard she was a stray.

calicogal
March 14th, 2007, 02:24 PM
My dilemma is that any collar that is safe (has the expanding elastic or a safety catch) is quickly disgarded by my cats. :rolleyes: And anything that is more "traditional", they get caught in their mouths trying to get it off. Fortunately that's only happened when I'm around to rescue them . . . after two instances of that, I didn't try buckle collars any more.

I do think it's added insurance, if you cat get your cat to keep on a safe collar. My parents' cat has always worn a collar and fortunately doesn't seem to mind it. I with mine would adapt as well!

I'm sad to hear that your vet doesn't scan new arrivals . . . When I took in a stray, I took her to two different vets on different occasions and both of them automatically scanned her when they heard she was a stray.

Hello All,
Not sure if anyone mentioned whether or not shelters are
equipped to scan the chip when *strays* are brought in
as one last step before tragedy strikes :sad: ?
I have had at least 3 cats *disappear* in my lifetime
and each one I bet to this day I could probobly find on my own ! ie stolen!
(Starting with my first Cali , "taken-back" from the people
who gave her to me!} No proof of course...just venting :frustrated:

What if all VETS automatically scan new pets brought in *just in case* ?
No matter where the "owner" claims the pet came from...
Would anyone here be "offended" by such a standard procedure ?