Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Activia 14 Day Challenge

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
The commercials are everywhere! Yet, they never say exactly what the challenge is. From what I gather through extensive research is that it's to improve digestion and bowel function. Great for people with IBS apparently.

Well, I bought a bunch on Wednesday (I've had it before and like it, especially the pear and apple & musli which are packaged together) deciding to do the challenge and eat one everyday for 14 days, instead of just in lunches off and on. So, I'm onto day four and so far all I've noticed is a horrid stomach ache and nasty poo poo's, not sure if it is from this or from something else. :shrug: I do eat yogurt Mon-Fri, but this yogurt has a higher B.L. level.

So, has anyone else decided to give it a 'go'? (Yup, pun intended).

Frenchy
March 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I did buy some, the pears one. I had no problem "on it" but then again, I can eat anything without getting sick. So poop problems ? :p Please consult your vet if problem persist. :laughing:

Hunter's_owner
March 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
The commercials are everywhere! Yet, they never say exactly what the challenge is. From what I gather through extensive research is that it's to improve digestion and bowel function. Great for people with IBS apparently.

Well, I bought a bunch on Wednesday (I've had it before and like it, especially the pear and apple & musli which are packaged together) deciding to do the challenge and eat one everyday for 14 days, instead of just in lunches off and on. So, I'm onto day four and so far all I've noticed is a horrid stomach ache and nasty poo poo's, not sure if it is from this or from something else. :shrug: I do eat yogurt Mon-Fri, but this yogurt has a higher B.L. level.

So, has anyone else decided to give it a 'go'? (Yup, pun intended).

I like that yogurt and have been eating one every day for a month or more now. My favourite is also the pear and apple&musli. I noticed no difference whatsoever:shrug: Definitely no ill effects like you mentioned:sick:

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm hoping it's something else 'cause I really like this yogurt, it's hard to find really yummy yogurt, most seem so watery, but even the Activia with 0% M.F. are nice and thick. :cloud9: I haven't been eating well the last couple of days, been too tired to cook, so hopefully that's all it is.

So, no one's had any good effects with it either? :confused:

Frenchy
March 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
So, no one's had any good effects with it either? :confused:

I haven't notice any change. Is it suppose to do something ? I know there's some probiotics in there, should help people with stomach problem...I guess.

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to help with digestion. They say that if you don't notice a difference after 14 days you'll get your money back.

Skryker
March 4th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I've looked at the Activa, and some of the flavours look good...but I think I'll pass on the Prune flavoured stuff! :yuck: Not so sure that prunes in yogurt are a good combo (unless you really, really have to "go").

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I have a hard enough time digesting yogurt that throwing grains into it IMO will only make me worse...:o If you want probiotic effects, get probiotics. :shrug: :D

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Actually, the prune is not so bad.

Prin, where else do you get probiotics, other than yogurt?

Skryker
March 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
(I'm just not a prune person. Don't like 'em at all.)

I do, however, like yogurt and granola mixed together. Very tasty!

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Byrd, you can buy them in capsules either at the pharmacy or in health food stores...

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I don't much like prunes either. :yuck:

I like vanilla yogurt, granola, and mixed berries together, yummy.

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Byrd, you can buy them in capsules either at the pharmacy or in health food stores...

Ah, okay. But, I like yogurt. It makes a good dessert, or snack. :goodvibes:

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM
lol but if it gets you all crampy.... :D

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I really don't think that's what it is, I've been eating at least five yogurts a week for the past 10 or so years with no trouble. I think I may just have picked up a bit of a bug, or maybe it's the chocolate icecream I've been wolfing down. :o Also, as I said, Friday night I was too tired to cook, so had popcorn for dinner, could have been that too. :shrug: Usually I eat very well, but not the past couple of days. Could be that this is a bit of a 'worse before it gets better' thing.

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Well, if it's a bug, just eat more yogurt. :D

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Well, if it's a bug, just eat more yogurt. :D

:laughing: Yeah!

happycats
March 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I was eating it everyday,and I didn't notice anything.
Then I noticed that it had more fat sugar then my sons yogurt:eek: made by the same company, so i stopped buying it !

trippincherri
March 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
OMG you sound like me eating popcorn for supper lol.

It does sound like you may have a stomach virus, if the problems persist longer than one week I would go to the Doctor.
And I do take probiotics in capsule form that I bought at the drug store, they were fairly inexpensive so I figured why not add it to my regime of herbal pills?
Worth a try I guess.

Byrd
March 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Yup, someone told me today that her nephew has the exact same thing as me. :sick: Bit of a stomach virus, I guess. I had salmonella when I came back from Egypt the first time, this is just like it, I've heard that once you've had it you're very susceptible to it... um, I like my eggs nearly raw, so perhaps that's the problem. :shrug:

Kristin7
March 5th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hey, I sometimes eat popcorn for dinner too! Lots of fiber... it does give me heartburn too.

Mocha's mum
March 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Possibly a bug Byrd. There's lots of that going around (just doesn't get cold enough to kill the bugs like it used to. And by that I mean cold in long stretches). Or maybe you're suddenly lactose intolerant??? Probably not.

I read that yougurt is used as a treatment for diarrhea (I don't know if that's your problem...); the microbes inhibit the growth of diarrhea - causing bacteria...:sick:

But, like you said, it could be that you're not eating as well as you did, or maybe it's stress?? At any rate, keep your fluids up!! And good luck, hope you're feeling better soon...nothing worse than feeling crappy (oh jeez, I didn't mean that :footinmouth: )

Byrd
March 6th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Yup, must have been a bug, I'm feeling much better now, still eating my Activia too.... not to mention eating better period.

Mocha's mum
March 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Oh, that's good news Byrd. Great to hear that you're feeling better!!! My supervisor and I were talking about Activia today, and how it's got something like 3% milk fat in it, so she gives it to her young kids (apparently the milk fat is good for brain development??). I just like the taste; it's creamier, and doesn't have that overpowering aspartame taste like some of the low fat yogurts....

mafiaprincess
March 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I ate it all ski season last year. Got me ah.. more regular than ever. That was about it though. Canadian ski team was eating it last winter and all the women apparently lost on average 5 pounds and attributed it to the yogurt. Don't know if they are still working on eating activa this winter though.

Byrd
March 9th, 2007, 05:39 PM
"More regular" is basically what it's supposed to do.

Some of the flavours have 3% M.F. but some have 0%. The vanilla and raspberry I have have 0%, the pear and apples & museli have 3%. Both types are really creamy. Yum yum.

joeysmama
March 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I've tried it and I like it--especially the prune flavor, but I'm not big on strawberry. But I never ate it every day. I'd love to be more um, you know......:o

But now I'm confused. Is it fattening or not? And does it have aspartame? I really really don't like to make a habit of artificial sweeteners. (Although I fall hard for Crystal Light raspberry flavor when summer rolls around.)

Skryker
March 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Ummmm, Raspberry Ice! That's one of the few aspartame things I drink now. I like to avoid artificial sweeteners, too. One of the yogurt brands (can't remember which one right now) is sweetened with honey instead of refined sugar. I guess that's an acceptable compromise. :shrug:

Might be Danone's Source yogurt. I have some at work right now that's Chocolate Cherry Parfait. :cloud9: Oh, wait-it's got sucralose in it, so that's not the honey one.

Byrd
March 9th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Not sure about the aspertame. As for fattening, you just have to watch the milk fat content.

happycats
March 9th, 2007, 07:56 PM
No it doesn't have aspertame....it has sugar, more sugar then their kids yogurt:confused: more fat too!
It's probably better to get the probiotics from the health store like the others suggested.

Byrd
March 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah, but the flavour's so much better than a pill. :shrug:

lt_danish
March 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I had a brief talk about yogurt with the registered dietician and one of my patients last week. Activia was on her list of one she did not recomend because of the high sugar content. Sugar can make your stomach cramp and bloat. She did agree that it had a good amount of bacteria though. Unfortunatly I can't remember the brands that she said were good choices.
If you are feeling very adventurous you could try making your own. I know I know it sounds kind of gross and borderline risky but its fairly easy. It takes a bit of time and the right equipment. But beautiful thing is that you can sweeten it with whatever you like, I use honey and sometimes maple syrup. And add TONS of fresh fruit.

Prin
March 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah, but the flavour's so much better than a pill. :shrug:

I didn't think I could swallow one of them gigantic pills, so I dumped half of the capsule into a cup of milk, swirled it and chugged it... Not so bad... I'm a little wary of critters being in my mouth (I know, I know, they're there anyway), so I drank about a half a bag of milk after to make sure they were all gone. And I feel pretty good.:D :laughing: