Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crate training new pup

leciejo
March 4th, 2007, 12:28 PM
hello all. i have a dillemma. my husband and i chose a beautiful chocolate lab puppy as a new member of our family. he has been wonderful in the crate training process so far. he has had a couple of accidents in a short amount of time we have left him so far. here's the issue. we have no choice but to leave him for the length of our jobs which will be about 7 hours during the day. he is just about 11 weeks old and from what i am reading now, this is not advised. i don't want him to learn to hate his new home, but we have no choice. what to do?

clm
March 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Way too long to leave him in a crate. Get yourself a baby gate and block him off in a room, kitchen, laundry room, whatever room you keep his crate in is good. Put down some papers in case he has to go. Either that or find a neighbor who can come in a let him out to go once in a while.

Cindy

jessi76
March 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
do NOT leave an 11 wk old pup crated for 7 hours.

as the other poster mentioned, gate your pup in a room, preferably one large enough to accommodate the open crate, pee pads, food and water dishes. BE SURE this area or room is puppy proofed!!!! crawl around on your hands/knees if need to be really be certain there are no hazards.

hire a dog walker to come in and check on the pup, and take him out for potty breaks and play time.

use a doggy daycare. these are becoming increasingly popular, popping up all over the place.

ask a family member, friend, or neighbor to check on the pup for you.

My fiance and I rearranged our work schedules to accommodate our pup, so we were able to let him out for potty and play every 2-3 hrs. Doing so really helped him get housebroken & crate trained FAST, since being let out OFTEN minimized and even prevented accidents in his crate.

Cram
March 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM
My fiance and I rearranged our work schedules to accommodate our pup, so we were able to let him out for potty and play every 2-3 hrs. Doing so really helped him get housebroken & crate trained FAST, since being let out OFTEN minimized and even prevented accidents in his crate.

That's what my husband and I did as well. Our pup was housetrained 3 weeks after we got him (so at around 12 weeks). He's just over 4 months old now, and we can leave him for 7 hours without incident and we will start leaving him for 8 hours next week. Plus he gets to go to daycare once a week now! Yay!