Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking at the Moon allergy or something else?

celticfox
March 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Both of my girls have been on Barking at the Moon for two weeks now and I'm a bit concerned. Rusty and Raven have been been licking their vaginal area very frequently and this is definitely not the norm for them. When I first noticed Raven doing this I thought it might be an unusual allergy symptom (she gets the itches to most foods she's been on) but when I noticed Rusty doing the same I figured something else must be going on. The only thing that is different about this food than the others I've had them on is that it contains beef and that it's much higher in protein. Do you think it's possible that the high protein is affecting their urine and making it more irritating to the vagina? :shrug:

Ugh. I have no idea what I should do at this point. I've had them on so many foods over the past two months because of Raven's allergies and I hate the thought of switching them again when it's working very well for them otherwise.

What would you do? :confused:

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Honestly, if it was me, I would bring them in for a urinary pH test, and just a general urine test, to see if there's something wrong, either an infection or something caused by the food... :o

celticfox
March 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Prin.

I hate to do it but I think I'm going to take them off the food. Thankfully Global allows returns/exchanges because we just bought a big bag of it during the week. :rolleyes:

If the licking doesn't get better after a few days on a new food than I'll definitely take them in to the vet for a urine test to see if anything else is up.

Now I just need to figure out what food to try next what with Raven's allergies. Raven is allergic to chicken (and I also suspect lamb and flaxseed) so perhaps I'll try them on California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. How do these ingredients look to you?

Herring, Barley, Oatmeal/Rolled Oats, Herring Meal, Herring Oil, Sweet Potatoes, Sunflower Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavors, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamins/Minerals, Potassium Chloride, Rosemary Extract.

I'm not sure if I've had them on a food with oats and barley so hopefully they won't cause any problems for Raven.

rainbow
March 4th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I would too. You don't have to take the dogs to the vet....just get urine samples from both of them and take it in to be tested. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Global has timberwolf organics, no? If they do, either the Dakotah Bison, or Ocean Blue would help, IMO...

the gang
March 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
i have my min pins on chicken soup for dog lovers all---houlstic they love it.

mafiaprincess
March 4th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Depends upon the global. I've been to 5.. were all no gos. So I'm mixing the last of our TO with orijen now.

celticfox
March 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for your replies. :)

We exchanged the Barking at the Moon for California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato on Sunday and things are going fine with it so far. A bit too soon to tell, of course, but I'm happy to say that they have stopped obsessively licking their girly bits. :D They did seem to enjoy the taste of the Barking at the Moon more than the Herring and Sweet Potato but I'm hoping a bit of cottage cheese or yogurt mixed into it will make it more appealing to them. :pray:

We decided not to put them on TO Ocean Blue mainly because of the cost (we're on a very tight budget these days...sigh) but I've gotta say that the current thread about TO made it even less appealing to me. It's very hard to respect a company that refuses to tell customers where the food is made and the worm story pretty much sealed the deal for me. :yuck:

Mafiaprincess: Have you tried the Global at Thornton and Rossland in Oshawa for TO Ocean Blue? We've been buying our dog food there for a few weeks now and they always seem to have plenty in stock. :)

mafiaprincess
March 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
That's where I shop.. but I haven't been there in months. Owner said they had TO years ago, and due to no demand had no desire to stock it again. So I haven't been there since October-November when I brought TO up from NY.

I don't want the ocean blue though, Cider hated it. I'm looking for the elk and salmon.

Maybe when my orijen is low I'll go browse through there if they now stock some TO again. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbs up

geisha
March 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
My senior sammy is currently on California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato. She is thriving on it! Her coat is beautiful and she isn't shedding as much. I also suppliment her diet with yogurt or a 1/4 cup Wellness canned fish. I also give her Holistic Blends Seagreens. Hope this helps. :thumbs up