Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question for those that feed Canidae All Life Stages.

RaYne
March 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Has anyone noticed anything off with their last couple bags? Smell? Palatability? Just curious.. I know quite a few people here feed this so I figured it was a good place to ask.

Bubba had completely refused to eat it the last 2 40lb bags. He's suddenly gassy, has loose poop and started scratching and chewing. Lola is ok in the poop department but she too had horrible gas and was scratching. They both did fine on the food for the past 8 or so months.

I emailed Canidae when this all first started and gave them the dates on the bag I had. It was packaged on Jan.03/2007 and expires on Jan.03/2008. I was told they were not aware of any problems with that batch. The second bag I never bothered to ask about but it was packaged the day after.. so probably the same 'batch' Jan.4th/2007 expired Jan.4th/2008.

When they both started to get gunky ears and that was the last straw so I switched them to Innova Adult. The gas completely stopped within the first day. Bubba's poop is almost back to normal. The scratching/chewing has also decreased. Yet they have only been eating it for 8 days now.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Canidae, they make a great food. But something was definitely not right there for my 2 to react the way they did. :confused:

So I was just curious if anyone else noticed a change.

gypsy_girl
March 4th, 2007, 11:12 AM
If the smell is off, it could be an issue with not enough Vitamin E in the fats sources. This could also account for the gas, the itchies, and the refusal to eat. But then again could be many other things too. It's not dangerous, the fat sources being possibly off, more affects palatability and usage of the fat source.
My thoughts

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the formula slightly overnight...:o The bag can stay the same for 6 months even if the inerds are different...:o

rainbow
March 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
RaYne, why don't you email them to ask if they made any changes to their formula? Maybe they cheapened it a little (like Solid Gold did) instead of raising their price. :rolleyes:

RaYne
March 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM
They deny any ingredient change. Although they also denied any change when the bag went from listing 'fish meal' to 'herring meal'. I went through all that with them before, deny, deny, deny. :rolleyes:

Good point about the fats though. Might be the reason why it smelled different and tasted off to Bubba. He litterally sniffed it and walked away. If I did get him to put some in his mouth, he immediately spit it out on the floor. Lola on the otherhand is a garbage disposal. So even if it was bad she wouldn't care.

I'm going to stick with the regular Innova adult for now. The ingredients are fairly similar and I did a cold turkey switch without much issue.. so far. *knock on wood*. LOL I do have a free coupon for a bag of Canidae coming though. :rolleyes:

Goldens4Ever
March 5th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the formula slightly overnight...:o The bag can stay the same for 6 months even if the inerds are different...:o

Yeah, I think that really stinks too! If they change the formula, they should have the new packaging ready to go so that people will know exactly what's in the food. Having the wrong labeling for the food inside the bag is ludicrous because that's not what's actually in there! :mad:

Does Solid Gold have their new packaging out yet?? I know that DVP Natural Balance does (they removed the Citric Acid).

Prin
March 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I have no idea! I hadn't thought of checking. :o

Skryker
March 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Rayne, I've noticed excess gas and soft poops since we started the newest bag a couple of weeks ago...and the date is Jan 4th.

I've been wondering what the problem is. Never occured to me that it might be the food. (D'oh!!!!) I seem to recall that it did smell different when the bag was first opened.

Hope I don't have to switch them. My choices are somewhat limited, particularly for Holistic kibbles.

rainbow
March 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Skryker, you should email or call Canidae to let them know that RaYne isn't the only one that had the problem.

RaYne
March 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I don't think they changed the formula.. After gypsy_girl mentioned the fats being off, I'm leaning towards that. Bubba is very sensitive to any type of change in his diet, and very picky when it comes to taste/smell. So when Bubba refused it, I knew right away something was off. Lola had no issues other than excess gas but she has a steel stomache. lol

But definitely let them know. Diane is the one I was emailing back and forth. I purchased the Jan.3rd bag on Jan.20th, so it's not like it was sitting on a store shelf for months on end. I first emailed them on Jan.24th.

Here's my original reply from them..

""Hello Linda,
We are sorry to hear the last bag of Canidae you bought is not palatable to your dog. We are not aware of any problems with that batch of Canidae, but all of our products are 100% guaranteed so you can either take that bag back to the store for a replacement bag or you money back or you can send us the upc(bar code) from the back of the bag to our office and we will replace it with a voucher for a free bag from Canidae."""

The only reason I switched is because if Bubba's diarrhea continues for too long he starts to drop weight and he's underweight as it is. So after 2 bags and he was still refusing to eat it I didn't have much choice. My store only had the Jan3rd and 4th bags at the time and I would have tried one with a later date. :shrug:

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Rayne, have you tried any of the high protein ones? They firmed up my doggies' stool really quickly after Wolf King changed...:shrug:

RaYne
March 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
No I haven't yet. Before When I first saw EVO Bubba was too young to even think about trying it.. but he just turned 2 on Feb 2nd. He still needs to fill out, but height wise I think he's done. So I have thought about buying a small bag of EVO to mix in with the regular Innova and see how he does.

Right now his stool isn't bad.. it isn't great either.. But I'm still adjusting the amount that I'm feeding him. The Innova is 557 cals per cup and the Canidae was 468. So I'm still trying to find the perfect amount to keep happy poop yet give him a little 'extra' to gain weight.

Prin
March 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Meb's Buster and my Jemma have done better on the Barking at the Moon than on Evo. It's a definite contender.. Orijen is great too.

Skryker
March 7th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info, RaYne-I will definitely email Canidae, and probably send the UPC in (since the bag is mostly gone now). It's a relief to know they didn't change the formula.

I'll pay way more attention to the smell when I open a new bag from now on, too. :o

gypsy_girl
March 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
you will need to include the date code (best before) and batch number on the bag, as UPCs do not change from bag to bag

Skryker
March 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM
:o My husband pointed out to me that I can't send a UPC anyways-the store where we get the food keeps the UPCs for their buy 11 bags, get a bag free.:o

I could send them the date and batch code, though.