Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ATTN: Car people... what are these called!

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I really want some doors like this for my Camaro and Grand Prix, I dont know what they are called or where to order them from....
HELP please! I asked at Canadian tire and the dude was useless, he had no idea what i was talking about.:rolleyes:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Misc/3526309.jpg

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
are they suicide doors??? :D

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM
nope JECM. Suicide opens backwards. They're nice on Camaros, actually.
I might consider them for that car.:shrug:

RolandsMom
March 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM
lol. :laughing: sorry, no idea but tell him you want doors like the batmobile (or fararri) and he should get what you are looking for!

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
lol, batmobile!

I was standing there like an idiot opening imaginary doors :rolleyes:

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 09:15 AM
AH HA!
Lambo doors, aka scissor doors.
http://www.deftracing.com/faq_vls_door_tutorial.htm

RolandsMom
March 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM
maybe wing doors? been looking up car door websites and thats all i can think of. Where are the men on this site? they should know!!!

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Whoa, I changed my mind on the Camaro, that looks like crap on them.:eek:

cant find any pics of a Grand Prix with them though.

RolandsMom
March 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
ahh yes, that makes sense considering they look quite like scissors. they dont look terribly easy to use. i guess they were made for show and not ease of use.
good choice to not go with them.

Lukka'sma
March 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I always thought they were called gullwing doors.

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Those are scissor doors, or Lambo doors... as in Lamborgini.

I wanted them for my car too, they are a great idea, no chance hitting another car in a parking lot and you'll never be stuck if one hits you.

All they generally are is a regular door with a hydrolic pump instead of a hinge. They're awesome. :thumbs up

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
hehe, those would look so terrible on my car. :D

The coolest thing I ever saw was a civic, where when the guy locked his doors with the automatic locky thingy, his mirrors folded in. :cloud9:

rainbow
March 4th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I bet those doors are expensive.

trippincherri
March 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Gullwing doors open straight out to the sides and up.
Those are just called Lamborghini doors.

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
hehe, those would look so terrible on my car. :D

The coolest thing I ever saw was a civic, where when the guy locked his doors with the automatic locky thingy, his mirrors folded in. :cloud9:

You have a civic Prin? thats actually the top car to put those on for some reason. Something to do with fast and the furious.

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, Gullwing doors open straight out and up, like the ones one the Delorean.

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Here Prin, you should look into some too! :D

Theyre pricey though, all in all installed and everything your looking at $3500.
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.carexcess.com/item-pic/tn-honda_2001_2004_civic_promo.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.carexcess.com/lambo-doors.html&h=168&w=225&sz=9&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=inbjGxiWxMe2PM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlambo%2Bdoors%2Bon%2Bcivic%26svnum%3D 10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Yup, they sure aren't cheap, it was around $6000 for my car. Civics are so easy to rice, that's why so many of them are done up, their parts are a dime a dozen. Potatoing a car is not as easy as ricing one. :p (Potatoe being the North American car version of Rice).

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM
LOL, I edited out ricing!:laughing:

Eventual hopes for my Grand Prix....
http://www.audioonwheels.com/Templates/frmTemplateq.asp?SubFolderID=646&SearchYN=N
Little bit of everything off that page.

I Have BIG hopes for the Maro, but am having a hard time deciding:shrug:

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
sheesh! :o hazel is as clueless about cars as she is about pop culture! *slowly backs out of erykah's car thread* :eek:

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
When I was with my ex we had big plans for 'potatoing' my car. But, obviously, they didn't work out. We only got as far as an EFX air intake with K&N cone filter and anti-sway bar (oh and MP3 player). I really, really, wanted the body kit, rims, spoiler, and ram air most of all (Saturn used to make a kit called the Expression Series for the first three, but it was $$$$$$$$). :sad: We were going to go for the Lambo doors too, I really don't know why more cars don't have them, they are easier than normal doors, take up less space, and are lighter even (They are the auto version of pocket doors in a house).

Yellow "Expression Series" coupe:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5650/yellowexpressionqr1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

erykah1310
March 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM
That is nice!:thumbs up

For my Camaro, I wanted to up the horse power, start my mods with the "mechanical workings"
Put in a 454 and a 3 speed manual, but im stuck with a 350 and a 5 speed. :shrug: too many frame mods to do with any bigger of a motor. That and im having a hard enough time with trannies as it is. :rolleyes:

Byrd
March 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
We upped my horse power by about 20 just by taking out the what's it (can't remember the name... shoot), and adding the aftermarket intake, plus the car sounds meaner now too.

Keep it like it is now though, as I don't have the money to do anything more and I'm only keeping it for another couple of years (gonna need something larger with Willow's sports and all).

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Hey, they are Back to the Future doors! :thumbs up

(Now, like Hazel, backing out of the car thread since that is all I have to contribute :D )

rainbow
March 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Erykah, with all these expensive add-ons are you trying to get back at Guy for the lemon? :o I'll leave quietly now too cuz I know nothing about cars either. :laughing:

Schwinn
March 4th, 2007, 10:24 PM
The problem with the Lambo doors is that, for most applications, they make the car a pain to get in and out of. To retro-fit a car with them, a lot of times, the opening isn't really conducive to the action of the door, and it's a pain to get in and out, as opposed to cars that are designed for it. I'd definitely try and find a car that has it done before decided to do it. It looks great on a show car, but getting your groceries into the back seat during a rain storm, it might not be as cool. I've seen one or two cars that it works well on (sorry, I forget which ones), but I've seen a LOT of them that you have to be a contortionist to get into. There is one application that swings open almost a foot before going up, but I don't know if it's available for every car.

As for the 3 speed transmission, unless your Camaro is early '70's or earlier, I'm not sure you'll find a 3 speed. And to be honest, if it's performance you want, you definitely don't want a three speed. The less gears you have, the wider range of the gearing, and it'll hurt your acceleration, and your top end. Also, you'll find that fuel efficiency suffers. That's why all of today's high-performance cars (and a few daily drivers) are 6 speeds. Also, if it's an '80's or later car, that engine you have, I believe is the same block as the Corvette. You can easily get a tonne of HP out of it without having to go to a 454.

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Hey, they are Back to the Future doors! :thumbs up

(Now, like Hazel, backing out of the car thread since that is all I have to contribute :D )

lol no, back to the future doors opened up, not scissory.:D

I agree with Schwinn though- 3 speed would suck for performance... :o

Byrd
March 5th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I think it was the Delorean being referred to, after all it is the Back to the Future car.

erykah1310
March 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
As for the 3 speed transmission, unless your Camaro is early '70's or earlier, I'm not sure you'll find a 3 speed. And to be honest, if it's performance you want, you definitely don't want a three speed.

A buddy of my dads had a camaro same year as mine with the 3 speed and 454, he messed his frame up, and all sorts of lovely things, he actually was going to sell me his, but there was way too much other fun stuff that had to be done. My Maro is an 83, and since converting to a manual trans. there has been alot of issues, Ive blown 3 trannies now:sad: Honestly.. I'd just be happy to have a moving car at this point.
Its also not ever going to be a daily driver, it costs too much on gas to start it up as is, let alone drive a whole lot with it. More or less just going to be my TOY:cloud9:

x.l.r.8
March 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Actually the powerglide can now be retro fitted with a clutch mechanism, meaning you can lock up from the lights and with a manual valve body use it as a clutchless 3 speed, that configuration is what puts the 8 second cars on the dial-in everytime. They are one of the least horepower robbing trans out there. I love poping the front wheels in the first 3 so i keep my manual in my race car, otherwise I would be moving over to the glide. They are bolt on to a 454 and also very light. They also have a nice price to go with them and you can even get them in a carbon case now :eek:
Lambo doors are getting cheaper and you can now get better designs for the londer doored cars, they pivot nearer the lower edge of the a pillar meaning a larger aperture to enter and exit, a better design would be to reverse the kit making effectivly suicide lambo doors. This would mean the opening would be at the front of the door and you could step out easier, however it wouldn't look as good, the b-pillar would need some additional work and relocation of the bear claw's.
As for performance, I rate my tow car conservativly at 450hp with a torque curve that has me pulling the race car harder up hills than most people dream about without towing. The LT4 engine is good but it's not a bolt in affair. My system alone took me many many hours of welding and trial fitting and tweaking.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/Cars/1stgospiral.jpg
Never again.
Well actually I did another set for the V8 I put in my Merc 190e
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2/tx541202/Cars/dr-1.jpg
I decided I hated working with stainless after that.
If I were looking at doing it all again I would look to something compact and different like the lexus V8, but I don't have the time or inclination since the dogs arrived, I just don't get excited about the cars like I once did (easy to say with 3 Porsche's, 3 cosworth RS500's and my GSXR1300 sitting waiting for the snow to clear). :o

x.l.r.8
March 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM
This was the company we used to buy the kits from but that was quite some time ago. Had to dig through some archives for the company but the link still works, but my account has long gone:shrug: I don't remember what the kit cost but it was a fairly simple job and altough we only did a few cars it was without hassle.
http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/Autoloc/products.lasso

Prin
March 5th, 2007, 06:51 PM
You have a civic Prin? thats actually the top car to put those on for some reason. Something to do with fast and the furious.

Sorry I missed this one... No, I don't have a civic, but I have an almost civic. :D I have an Acura 1.6... (i.e. 4 door civic with the old Si engine and leather...) Since it's 4 door, it would look wickedly odd with two scissor doors.:D

AliSam
March 9th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I had a Fast and Furious Civic once. I have removed alot of the exterior parts now though as York Region Police weren't happy with me. I still have headers, a strut bar, air intake and a louder exhaust. With the exception of the aftermarket tail lights, you wouldn't know just by looking at it now. I still have blue neon lights underneath, but I never turn them on now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Cars/Josie053.jpg