Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Luck with amitriptyline?

Joystick22
March 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
We took are dog named lucky to the vet yesterday because lately it has been having seizures. SO we got talking about how lucky is a very nervous and anxious dog. My dog is so stressed that it doesnt go for walks if it has to have a leash on. Leashes for some reason stress it out.

Anyway, we got lucky from the spca like 7 years ago the people who had her previously use to be really mean to her by hitting her with brooms and newspapers, and were really nasty to her.

So the vet recommended we try this amitriptyline, has anyone had any success with this for really stressed dogs. I just want to be able to take it for a walk. Thanks.

luckypenny
March 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
We have not used this medication but, after looking it up, I don't think it's supposed to be used if a patient has a history of seizures. Do a google search and try to get more info on this medication.

Did this problem with the walks begin recently? If not, has your dog ever had a seizure during a walk? Maybe this might have triggered his fear of walks?

CyberKitten
March 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I have not used it personally for a dog but know people who have had success with it - it is a safe medication, as safe as an of the : tricyclic anti depressives can be. Never use it with a MAO (another kind of anti depressive med!!!! or even the newer elective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like prozac.

There are better meds on the market though for seizures - and to be frank, can't say I think this med is indicated for seizures. According to the CPA manual (the bible for pharmacists and doctors), it is to be used with caution in people with seizures. I do not know how that applies to dogs however and I would ask your vet if I were you. I also would not like to recommend another seizure med since I am not a vet - one of the best for humans and even children - is Gabapentin ( brand name - Neurontin) but some scientists refer to it as the new snake oil of the 21st century since it is used for everything from pain to depression to epilepsy. (It's called a "feel good drug" among some patients) .

But my advice is to talk to a vet who knows more about these kind of issues. I think it would be more important to discover what is causing the seizures since they are usually more of a symptom than an illness in and of themselves. Find out the cause and work from there.

Good luck!!!!