Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

One year old Pug hard time potty training

jessieb
March 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hello

I am new to this forum and I am hoping that someone has some advice for me. We bought chester when he was 3 months old. He had started to do good with the potty training when he got a prostate infection and we are now hopefully at the end of that. He will be neutered on Tuesday and the vet say's that it should take care of it. He thinks it is a cyst in his prostate that is causing the infection to keep coming back.

So my question is now how do I get him potty trained. We take him out regular and he still has some accidents. I am very allergic to the amonia that is in his urine I get a migrain and and I need for him to stop peeing on my carpet. If any one can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Jess

slray
March 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I am training a seven week old mini Dautshund with no health problems so I feel for you. Have you tried the training pads on the market? They are supposed to be absorbent maybe with baking soda or maybe there is some product out there made to neutralyze amonia? I'm asking the same thing. It just takes a little time and patience, I hope your dog gets better and good luck too you.
slray:shrug:

jessieb
March 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you for your reply. We have gotten him nuetured and he is taking another high dose of antibiotics. The vet thinks that he had a prostate cyst that was causing the infection so hopefully since we had him fixed it will take care of the problem and now we can get on with getting him potty trained. I hope you have better luck then we have had in that area.
Best wishes.

jess

zizi
April 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Jess,

I also have a toy dog who has had difficulty in potty training. Despite all my efforts (scheduling meals earlier in the day, taking him for multiple night-time trips outside, etc), he tends to wake up at night and decide to poop on my floor, and without alerting me like he does during the day by barking at the door. :mad: What has helped for me is using pee pads on the floor in case he wakes up and decides to go. I don't want it to be the long-term solution, but it keeps the cleaning from getting out of hand, for now. If you are concerned about the carpets, try using a double layer, or checking several brands and going for the thickest varieties.

I treat my dog like he's a young puppy when I am awake: he's supervised and he's scheduled. For the most part, my dog goes outside. When he's not outside, gates bar him from areas and usually, he's in the same room as me. He has one location that he tends to prefer to go in, and for a few weeks, I made sure by arranging gates & his pen that he could only reach that area, and carpeted the area with pee pads so he had no choice but to go on them during his night-time excursions around the apartment. Eventually, I reduced the size of the area and now he will do his business on one (and a half) pads and without having to turn my apartment into a maximum security night time prison. One out of two nights he doesn't use the floor, so hopefully we will move towards not needing the pads anymore over the next few months. :fingerscr