Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slippery Elm - How long?

One Beagle Girl
March 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now while researching new foods for my almost 2 year old beagle - so this is my first question.

My little dude had a rough time thru February. I started feeding raw mid January, and after about three weeks he began to experience pain after, err, pooing. After many vet visits etc., he passed a rather large, sharp piece of bone. It was from a recreational beef neck bone - he has been eating these for about 5 months. However, I'll leave his diet questions for another post. His is currently not eating raw.

Of course, when he passed the bone piece, we realized what had been causing pain, and I started giving him slippery elm. He's been on it (and pain free) for two weeks now, and I'm wondering if anyone knows when I can stop giving it to him. Thanks!

badger
March 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
I think two weeks is long enough. Watch those bones!

technodoll
March 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM
yeah, about two weeks is plenty. might be something else going on there... also, recreational bones are not considered part of a raw diet, they are not "digestible" bones per say. i'm sorry it didn't work out for you guy :grouphug: hope he gets better!

rainbow
March 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
I also agree two weeks is long enough. What are you feeding him now?

BTW, welcome to the forum and please post some pics of your little guy....we love Beagles. :D

One Beagle Girl
March 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome! Right now P the beagle is making the switch from Wysong Anergen to Evo RM. So far so good - we started on Wednesday. We also feed Wellness canned food with every meal (2 meals a day). The switch over is going well. After the raw experience, I wanted to find him a grainless dry food and of course higher protien.

P's diet is also supplemented with Dr. Maggies, probiotics, and for now digestive enzymes because he had been sick. If anyone has any knowledge pro or con about the Dr. Maggies, pls let me know.

I e-mailed Ziwipeak on Monday regarding their ingredients and nutritional data. As well, I e-mailed Nature's Variety regarding what type of Vit K they use. Of course, I have not heard back from anyone. As well, phoned Wysong and left a message with someone in quality control regarding the feline kibbles I had found in two of the bags I had bought. Again, no reply. I know Anergen is a canine/feline diet, but the kibble does not look like cat kibble!

I should be getting a Ziwipeak sample pack (25 sample bags of various formulations) through the pet supply store where I work. I anyone is interested in the ingredients etc., I can let you know.

So, is it standard in the dog food industry to not reply to customers?

And yep, he just gets the recreational bones on top of what he eats for some chewing action and clean teeth!

rainbow
March 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
I've never heard of Ziwipeak. Is it a kibble?

No, it's not standard in the pet food industry to not receive replies to emails. Timberwolf Organics is the only one I've come across. :frustrated:

One Beagle Girl
March 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Hi Rainbow. Ziwipeak is a kibble from New Zealand, it looks like it could be good, but it's website isn't very informative as far as an actual list of ingredients go.

And Techno, thank you for the beagle get better wishes!

rainbow
March 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
There's another member here from New Zealand that's looking for a good kibble. I think it's Quinn's Mom ?? ....maybe she can look into it. :)

gypsy_girl
March 3rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
My remembering of Ziwipeak is that it is a "semi moist" small "kibble", and the ingredients looked great. It smelled great too...
One downfall I noticed is that the bottom of the bag contained alot of fines.