Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat's dilated pupils

crazyforcats
March 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
This is not new! My cat is 13 years old and has always had very large pupils. I don't think I've ever seen him with "cat eye slits". And I never really thought much of it - I was aware of his large pupils, but didn't think it was an issue. But recently he was at 2 different vet clinics, and each one commented on his large pupils, to which I replied that they've always been this way. Both vets asked me if my kitty had problems with his vision. I felt confident in saying his vision seemed perfectly fine.

Has anyone else ever heard of this in a cat? Could my dear kitty have some underlying vision/health issue that has never been addressed? Of course, he's been fine with it for 13 years, so I'm not about to get uptight about it - I'm just curious if anyone else has a kitty with chronicly large pupils.

kashtin's kin
March 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I was lucky enough to enjoy the company of a pair of female cats from the same litter for 17 years. They were very different in both temperament and appearance...including eyes. One had pupils that would be classified 'normal', I suppose i.e. slittish pupils except in low light/dark; the other had pupils that were pretty much always big and round.

I was aware of the difference, but no vet ever commented on it; the cat seemed fine vision-wise, and lived a long and happy life. The 5 cats I presently have are all 'slitters'...I'd say if the cat appears okay, go with it as in 'don't borrow trouble'. Others might recommend closer examination etc...