Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Kitten question

SunnysMum
March 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
He's here - our new little kitten, Salem. :cloud9: We got him from the vets office yesterday. Here's a brief history on him. In November, he was found outside, about 1-1/2 months old, soaking wet, freezing and half bald. :sad: He has been at our vets office ever since. He's roughly 5 months old.

The vets office took great care of him, and he is now in perfect health. For most of his life, he's only known his cage at the vets (and the little room they would play with him or let him run around free in each day). So our house, is pretty overwhelming.

He is staying in my daughter's room - and he seems to love her very much - lots of cuddles and purring. He is still scared of my husband and me though -- but it's very early yet. He hides under the bed mostly -- or in the little tent-like cat bed we got for him. When he's alone in there, I can hear him running around, checking things out -- but when we go in the room, he hides (but not always for my daughter -- like I said - he seems to like her).

OK - now for my question. It's regarding our Sunny -- he is VERY interested in what's going on in my daughter's room. When Sunny was sick in Jan/Feb, he did meet Salem (and last week when he had his last follow-up visit, they brought Salem into the examination room with Sunny -- Salem tried join sunny in his carrier - there was no hissing or anything, but eventually Sunny started to growl a little. Last night, Sunny woke us up because Salem was putting his paws under my daughter's door and Sunny was trying to catch him. Sunny did the same thing back. Sunny MEOWED like crazy to get into my daughter's room -- but we wouldn't let him. They've "played" (:confused: ) this game a few times today as well.

When do you think it would be OK for them to meet? I'm talking supervised, just check each other out. Should we wait a few more days until Salem gets comfortable in his new surroundings? Sunny was my first cat and now Salem is my second. I've never done this before.

Here is a picture of Salem....and Sunny's paw under the door.... And also a shot of him hanging with my daughter this morning. Such a little angel -- how he ended up all alone outside freezing is beyond me!

cpietra16
March 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM

When do you think it would be OK for them to meet? I'm talking supervised, just check each other out. Should we wait a few more days until Salem gets comfortable in his new surroundings? Sunny was my first cat and now Salem is my second. I've never done this before.

Here is a picture of Salem....and Sunny's paw under the door.... And also a shot of him hanging with my daughter this morning. Such a little angel -- how he ended up all alone outside freezing is beyond me!

First of all thanks for being there and being an :angel: as for the intro's

The under the door play and hissing is just part of the process. I think your first born is just curious and hates not being able to look in. Your second born:D is just being a kitten...loves to play. I usually have a baby gate and let them smell thru, after the "underdoor" smelling sudsides. Let the cats take charge. They understand themselves way more than any human can. They'll know when they're ready to smell each other up close and personal.

As for you other question...how he ended up alone freezing...
ANSWER: humans:frustrated:

mummummum
March 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
Holy hannah what a sweetie ! Ooops ~ that wasn't helpful was it ? But holy cow is Salem ever cute ! Okay... still not be helpful. :o

I can't wait for the pix of Sunny and Salem actually playing together ~ it sounds like that's what they want to do!

Thank you SunnysMum for taking little Salem under your wing. :angel:

hazelrunpack
March 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
I can't be helpful, either...too many dogs running around here :D ...but I have to say that your cats are certainly beautiful! And what a cutie that little :angel: Salem is! Batting paws under the door! :D Make sure you get some video of it for when they're both too grown up to want to play like that any more! :thumbs up

rainbow
March 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
That first pic is so cute. :lovestruck: If Sunny is roughly the same age as Salem I would just introduce them under supervision. If there is any problems then put Salem back in the room and separate them with a baby gate. It won't take long. ;)

SunnysMum
March 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Sunny is about 6 years old and Salem is about 5 months old. We've had Sunny for 3 years (he was another rescue). His history before being brought to a shelter as a stray is unknown. The shelter staff really liked him and hoped he would be adopted -- but, no one wanted a three-legged cat. After a couple of months, he was scheduled to be euthanized. But the shelter staff really liked him and asked our local HS to take him. They did and they made him their office mascot where he would spend the rest of his days, unless a family adopted him. How could we resist??? I personally think he is the world's most intelligent cat :lovestruck: ...but then I'm quite biased!!!

I really like the baby-gate idea! I just have to find a baby-gate.

The little guy (Salem) is bonding nicely with my daughter; but is still quite nervous and spends a lot of time hiding under the bed. But that's OK - it's only been two days. I think we should wait at least another day until we let Our Two Lads see each other. In the meantime, I'll phone around to see if any of our friends still have a baby gate (all of our kids are long past that stage!) Failing that, I guess opening the door a crack will be our next step.

It's so exciting - they are both wonderful cats, and I really hope they like each other!

Here are some pics of Salem on my daughter's lap -- she was taking some pictures, and he decided that the camera string was quite interesting :evil:

marsupial mama
March 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
what adorable kitties! I love black cats!

I haven't had the opportunity to introduce a second cat ( - yet? we are trying to persuade DH that this is a good idea...), but I wanted to congratulate you on rescuing these sweeties!

Are they both neutered? I hope so, otherwise I think you may territorial (sp?) spraying.

I hope all goes smoothly, sounds like you're handling it right. :)

SunnysMum
March 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yes, both Sunny and Salem have been neutered. Salem was just done about 2 weeks ago. :)

When the door of my daughter's bedroom opens, both cats try and peek at what's on the other side....

rainbow
March 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Hee hee....cute pics.

chico2
March 3rd, 2007, 05:34 PM
What sweeties,I wish I'd have time to answer,but got to go:cat:

shenjall
March 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Adorable kitties!

No advice on meeting - others have said it all - but if you're looking for a baby gate, try the used ads online for your city. I've seen people trying to get rid of theirs for as low as $5!! (But call right away if you see one that cheap, they go realllly fast) The cheapest store bought one is at walmart for $20.
Hope that helps!

CyberKitten
March 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I love "blackies" as well!!! One3 f my fav kitties when I was a child was my black cat who slept with me every night!! I would handle the "getting to know you" between the two cautiously and take time with it. I recently found a video on the subject and of course now I can;t find it, lol (I did not bmark it, sigh!!)

Here is a page that explains it though:

http://www.petstyle.com/cat/training_article.aspx?id=401&section=Training%20Articles

I've always found the towel and vanilla trick worked well. Cats learn and navigate using scent so I would take your older cat;s towel and let the new one sleep on it for a bit and vice versa - take something the little one has used and place it with the older cat. They thus get used to each other scent. You can also neutralize scents bt dabbing a bit if vanilla on each kitty.

But give it time. Bring the older cat so she can be curious and let them sniff each other. Later, - 3 days maybe if you are lucky - using a leash so you have control of the older cat in case one of the two freaks out (does not actually happen much and never has to me but you just never know). And make sure there is a safe place for both cats to go if they eel at all threatened - during the "meeting.: Keep doing this and keep upping the time spent together.

NEVER leave them alone together until they have become friends. It is tue that some animals naver bond and in that case you just have to find separate places for each animal in your home and they usually will learn to tolerate one another.

Good luck!!!