Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Sam

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
This is the face I get since he's been on strict diet,after his dinner, he will hang around in the kitchen until he gets his chicken treat....around 8:30

breeze
March 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
He's sooooo sad :sad: :sad:

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
hehe... Poor Sam! He should tell his mommy to take him out running instead of cutting out his food so much. :laughing:

technodoll
March 2nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
yeah what's up with sam? :confused: does he need to lose some weight?.. poor guy, he looks terribly sad. "feed me momma!" :D how much exercise does he get? what is he eating?....

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Uh oh, Frenchy. Techno's onto you! :evil: :laughing:

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 06:53 PM
ok mom, stop laughing, this isn't funny , is it 8:30 yet ????

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yes Sam was very overweight when I got him. He did loose some but gained it back. So I cut down his kibble, and he gets more carots as treats instead of cookies. And I use to bake them homemade cookies (yes I know,me , cook?) but I stopped because I think they were too rich. He does gets one walk a day, and I go out a couples times a day with them in the yard to play. But after a snow storm (like today) we have to wait for my neighbors to take a couple of walks in the field so they can clear a path for us.

rainbow
March 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
Awww....poor Sam. He does look sad but oh so lovable. :lovestruck: Does he leave the kitchen after his chicken treat? :D

brandynva
March 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Aww Poor baby! He needs a chicken treat now! :D

technodoll
March 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
frenchy, one of the best fat-burning exercises is plowing through a deep snowy field! and rolling in the snow with your dog, having mock snowball fights, etc... and it's fun too! :p

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Does he leave the kitchen after his chicken treat? :D

Yes he does ! He knows there won't be anything coming from the kitchen after this.

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
So uhh.. I don't know if Sam has any allergies, but maybe a good choice for him, to help with his weight loss and seeing as he's getting older, might be Evo Reduced fat (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271402%27%5D)... :shrug: :o

hazelrunpack
March 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Poor Sam...looks so sad... I think TD's suggestion of going out and rolling in the snow with Sam is a great idea! :thumbs up You'll love it! It'll put a bloom on your cheek...oh...wait....that's chapping! :frustrated: Or frostbite! :eek:

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
So uhh.. I don't know if Sam has any allergies, but maybe a good choice for him, to help with his weight loss and seeing as he's getting older, might be Evo Reduced fat (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271402%27%5D)... :shrug: :o

Thanks but I didn't ask for any food or exercise advice.:shrug:

erykah1310
March 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
frenchy, one of the best fat-burning exercises is plowing through a deep snowy field! and rolling in the snow with your dog, having mock snowball fights, etc... and it's fun too! :p

Does this work for humans too? :shrug: :o

erykah1310
March 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Frenchy it must break your heart to see him looking at you like that... Poor Sam.:sad:

Hunter's_owner
March 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Awwwwww poor Sam:sad: Poor feller don't know that you are only doing what is best for him...

technodoll
March 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks but I didn't ask for any food or exercise advice.

uhhh, since when are people not allowed to express caring advice on this forum, even if the OP didn't "ask" for it? :confused: you obviously are trying to get Sam to lose weight and it was just an idea to help him achieve this, with less suffering than he looks like he's going through now. jeez. sorry for caring :rolleyes:

chico2
March 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Frenchy,poor Sam:sad: I have the same problem with my Vinnie,trying to get him to lose weight.
He gets only his dish now,but when I remove Chico's and Rocky's,that he usually finished before,he gives me exactly the same look:D
It's really,really hard to resist...

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
It's really,really hard to resist...

Yes it is. It's probably why he got this way in the first place, the previous owners couldn't say no to him.

brandynva
March 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
It's unfortunate because a lot of owners think it's "cute" when their dog begs, or eats a lot of people food that isn't healthy. It is the dog that pays the price sadly... :sad: I'm glad you are able to help Sam and I'm sure you are adding to his longevity by providing a healthy balanced diet for him. :thumbs up

CyberKitten
March 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Awww, poor Sam - he has such a sad looking face but you are prob right re prev owners. It IS for his own good tho - keep telling him and yourself that - tho I know it is not easy!!! When I babysit my brother's choc lab who I adore, he is aon a diet and he just had hip surgery and I want to give him extra treats but know I can't - and he will issue this minor whine for them (knowing I am a soft touch I guess, lol) but I hang tough but Gawd, it is hard!!! If only I could convince him Glucosamine was a treat, lol

My heart goes out to you and Sam!!!!

Spirit
March 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
So I cut down his kibble, and he gets more carots as treats instead of cookies.

Carrots are high in sugars so it's not the best thing to offer as a treat if weight loss is your goal. An old breeders trick (my breeder uses it on her goldens) for weight loss in show dogs, is to cut the kibble back, and top it up with green beans. Frozen, not canned (no salt). It's worked miracles on all her dogs who tend to suffer from winter weight (when you're a breeder and you've got double digits of goldens, keeping their exercise up isn't easy in the winter). The weight falls off fairly quickly, and you can still offer some of the remaining kibble or veggies throughout the day as treats.

Poor Sam... he must be so hungry. Look at that face! :( lol

rainbow
March 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
I also have used the "green bean" method. :thumbs up

Prin
March 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks but I didn't ask for any food or exercise advice.:shrug:

I know, but in case anybody comes in here one day, looking for diet advice, I thought I'd throw it out there... :shrug:

Frenchy
March 4th, 2007, 03:55 AM
If only I could convince him Glucosamine was a treat, lol

:laughing:

Quins-mum
March 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
awwww... what a cutie... he lies like Quin, but Quins hind legs sprawl out like a frogs behind him... I call it the "superman" pose.

how do you tell a dog that "no more treats" is meant to be "good" for him:sad:

Frenchy
March 4th, 2007, 04:28 AM
how do you tell a dog that "no more treats" is meant to be "good" for him:sad:

I give him tiny treats ! It's real hard cuz I'm fostering this underweight Great Dane right now, wish I could transfer Sam's fat to her :o She gets double the treats, I hope Sam understands.

Furbaby Momma
March 4th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Frenchy...Sam is giving the old Golden guilty sad face look, they get us every time don't they...the little buggers. You are doing a wonderful job caring about his weight, he is so lucky to have such a great mom as you. :thumbs up

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I give him tiny treats ! It's real hard cuz I'm fostering this underweight Great Dane right now, wish I could transfer Sam's fat to her :o She gets double the treats, I hope Sam understands.

hehe, that would be a pretty gross procedure... I can just see the thread now: "Nelly's new butt implants!" :D

Frenchy
March 4th, 2007, 02:13 PM
hehe, that would be a pretty gross procedure... I can just see the thread now: "Nelly's new butt implants!" :D

It could be a new episode of Nip Tuck...(is that how it's called ?)

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 02:15 PM
lol yeah, Nip Tuck... I don't watch it though, so you'd have to tell me when Nelly is on. :D

rainbow
March 4th, 2007, 02:18 PM
It's one of Erykah's favourite shows.....she can tell us. :D

TeriM
March 5th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Awww, Sam looks adorable :lovestruck: . He sure has perfected the "poor me" guilting look :) .