Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Taking kitten/cat out for a walk?

heather17021977
March 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Hi there,

Just wondering if any feline owners take their pets outside on a harness (backyard or out for a stroll)? Do you get weird looks? How does the cat respond to it?

CyberKitten
March 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
I take my cats out for walks in the spring and summer - their hair is too short for winter walking. (and they hate the cold - I have Siamese and Sphynx cats) But when the weather is good, they love it. The trick i think is for kittens to get used to it when they are young tho we have a new family member who does not mind his harness if it means going out and treats. He has ventured out to the deck with me but then like the others whines to go back in - he whines to come wioth me which is why I took him out and then when he saw how cold it was, he was looking longingly at the door so back inside he went, lol

People are used to my cats and me now and I can't say I get unusual looks. I have a neighbour who has a dashound (sp?) with hip dysplasia and so she walks the one with no health issues and the older guy rides in a pet stroller, I have one of those too and my cats love it. Others here also walk their cats so I am not alone.

Here is the pet stroller

RolandsMom
March 2nd, 2007, 05:33 PM
lol. the pet stroller! Roland would go balistic!
i take him out on his leash everyday at least once a day or im in big trouble and he drives me nuts whining to go out! hes started venturing a little further now but has also started asking to go back inside. hes a domestic shorthair so i guess he gets cold too but mostly i have to carry him back in. the cold doesnt seem to bother him too much. People are amused i guess when they see him on his little leash but i know hes safe so i dont really care too much.

cpietra16
March 2nd, 2007, 05:39 PM
When I had Samson and Goliath, declawed rescues, I always had them on a leash...I started at home. I would leash them up and take them around the living room. When they got use to it , we went outside. In the house they associated the leash to tuna:o ...they got a spoonful each after the walk and when they got outside they just did it and loved it
Good luck

shenjall
March 6th, 2007, 09:15 AM
We've been thinking about taking our kitties outside on leashes. I like the idea of starting them inside - we may have to try it. Not sure how well it will go over with the 3yr old, but I'm hoping the 1yr olds will like it. :)

RolandsMom
March 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM
hey Shenjall, just know you may be opening a can of worms (so to say) by taking them out if they are content being inside! dont get me wrong, i totally believe that they should spend time outside, but if i had to do it all over i would have kept Roland inside from day one cause he drives me nuts wanting out now!!! hehe. i do think its good for them though. just be prepared for the "meow, mommie i want out, meow meow meow!!!"
:lovestruck: you gotta love them though even when they drive you nuts! just like kids i guess....:lovestruck:

shenjall
March 6th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Hmmm..... I dont like worms very much. ;)

We spend alot of time in our yard in the summer and my kitties stare at us thru the window. I feel bad - like they miss us. But they're probably just enjoying the show. :lol

Our newest member was a stray and meows at the door all the time trying to get out. I can see a WHOLE lot of worms taking her outside.

Maybe we'll just wait until we get a dog to take for walks. :)

Snooky'sMom
April 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I take my Persian out on a leash and he will walk about 4 houses down or up my street. I certainly do get lots of looks since he's so fluffy and growls alot with all the strange scents he picks up. By about the fourth house he goes on scent overload and doesn't know which way to go or just becomes very stubborn about going anywhere. Sometimes I just have to pick him up at that point and take him home while he growls away.

I was thinking of getting one of those strollers but didn't know how he would do with it. Seeing more territory might make him more adventurous if he ever escaped. On the other hand that might not make a difference at all. I was concerned about him seeing dogs walking too. We've got lots of dogs on my street.

chico2
April 7th, 2007, 07:09 AM
My cats are perfectly happy staying with us in our backyard,but it took some training,beginning with harnesses from kitten-hood.
However I never trust them 100% not to jump the fence,we always watch them and stay out with them.
First time on a harness outdoors,my Vinnie totally freaked and wiggled out of it in no time,starting inside is a good idea.
My cats only wear their collars outdoors and they happily line up to get them on,knowing we are going out:cat:
As for walking a cat on a sidewalk,I don't think I would attempt it,too many scary things out there,unless I had a kitty-stroller like CK:laughing:

muskokapuss
April 8th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I take my cat's out on a harness all the time, although they are not all that pleased about actually being "walked" they mostly just like to sniff around and explore the yard, I have them on a clothsline with 2 100ft leashes and then they are attached on the harness....I Never ever let them stay outside by themselves though, just in case a stray dog happened by and they couldn't get away, or my neighbours cat, which seems to like to be in my yard all the time (my cat's are 99% indoor and 1% outdoor, the neighbour's cat I don't think ever get's let in to their house:mad: )...Of course letting them out also makes them more likely to get flea's/ticks...so that's a concern you have to address as well.:goodvibes: best of luck!

puss:cat:

muskokapuss
April 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I take my cats out for walks in the spring and summer - their hair is too short for winter walking. (and they hate the cold - I have Siamese and Sphynx cats) But when the weather is good, they love it. The trick i think is for kittens to get used to it when they are young tho we have a new family member who does not mind his harness if it means going out and treats. He has ventured out to the deck with me but then like the others whines to go back in - he whines to come wioth me which is why I took him out and then when he saw how cold it was, he was looking longingly at the door so back inside he went, lol

People are used to my cats and me now and I can't say I get unusual looks. I have a neighbour who has a dashound (sp?) with hip dysplasia and so she walks the one with no health issues and the older guy rides in a pet stroller, I have one of those too and my cats love it. Others here also walk their cats so I am not alone.

Here is the pet stroller

Aweeee how cute is that???? Where did you get that pet stroller??? I love it, and it would be perfect for me to take my kitties out for a walk in, without worrying about them needing a "catnap" half way home. I just gotta get me one of those!!!

please advise hon! thanks!

puss:cat:

krdahmer
April 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM
OMG I so want one of those strollers! I actually have been looking at a larger off roady type blue one, need something sturdy for my brutes. And it would be such a great way to get my arse out for a walk too!

As for walking on a leash and harness, yes I have, and man does it take patience. I imagine with training and starting them early it may even look like they are walking with you.:rolleyes:

Mine though like to run in every which direction usually nowhere near the sidewalk.:laughing: And when they are on a harness and leash never never never ever leave them for even a minute unsupervised. I learned that lesson the hard way. I had Palomine out on the leash at our old building and left for only a minute to go in and refill my water bottle... and came back out to find him dangling from the harness just over the other side of the fence. He was fine but panicking, as was I because I am not the size to be scaling fences! I got him down... after scraping myself badly and I have not had them out on a leash since.

If you are gonna do it, do it young, start them slow (indoors), and yes expect many stares from others like you are mentally challenged!:crazy:

Good Luck.