Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What to do when your dog does not know when to stop talking

cpietra16
March 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Here's the problem. My neighbour rescued a 1 year old rotti/shepard cross. Great dog, but is always barking, talking, and more barking. He barks at squirrels, snowflakes ( ...and we are in the middle of a snowstorm as I type), people, and anything that moves...so how do you train this dog not to bark, when it's not necessary??? She feels bad for the neighbours and keeps Mylo in most of the time, but he still barks.....

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Have they tried a citronella collar ? It doesn't work for all dogs but it did with my sister's golden. She rented one from her vet for a month.

luckypenny
March 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
When my dogs bark in the house (Lucky never used to until we brought Penny home), I let them for a second or two. Then I calmly hold their collar or leash and have them sit. Then I say "Quiet." As soon as they stop, I pop a treat into their mouths. If they start again, I repeat "Quiet." This is how I taught them the quiet command. I no longer have to use treats because they understand what is is I want them to do. If they start outdoors, I tell them quiet again. If they are too worked up, I once again take them by the collars and bring them inside and put them in a down/stay for a few minutes. The trick is to be outside with the dog everytime you let him/her out. Don't ever let them continue barking or you'll have to start over again. Like with any command, consistency is important.

Is this dog getting enough stimulating exercise and training? If he's out in the yard by himself all the time, he may just be looking for something to do. Sometimes dogs bark out of boredom and/or habit. They can slowly be trained out of it although it takes time and constant repetition. Some effort now and your neighbor will be really happy with the results.

luckypenny
March 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I forgot to mention that I hear alot of people yelling at their dogs when they bark, eg. " Sam, stop it! Sam, shut up! Sam, be quiet!" More often than not, the owner's just teaching them to associate their names with something negative. Furthermore, from the dog's perspective, and if they've never been taught the command, wouldn't it just sound as if the owner's just barking along with them? It took me more time and patience to teach my husband this than it took for my dogs ;) .

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, and yelling also can be misunderstood as you joining in on the barking... I just go see, tell them it's fine and I also usually label what it is, like, "It's just the neighbors" or "It's just the plow going by".... My hope is that if they know what it is after a while, they'll stop...:o

cpietra16
March 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys. I will let her know. She never yells. She just say Mylo, come...and takes her in..she just wants to know how to stop her from barking so the neighbours don't start complaining soon...
I'll tell her about the collar, Thanks

The reason I can't help is that I never had a dog that really barked to that point:o

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
she just wants to know how to stop her from barking so the neighbours don't start complaining soon...

When Bailey barks (usually because the others don't want to play with him) I bark with him. But then again, I don't have too many neighbors :p

cpietra16
March 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
When Bailey barks (usually because the others don't want to play with him) I bark with him. But then again, I don't have too many neighbors :p

Neighbours may have them both committed:D

Frenchy
March 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
:offtopic: You haven't seen nothing yet, when there is thunder (Bailey is very afraid of it and Daisy was too) I sing and dance so they can see there's nothing to it . :laughing: :crazy:

mummummum
March 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
I'm not one to "trust the experts" but Stanley Coren was at one of many the dog-a-paloozas here a few years ago. I could barely hear him ( this is my "if I get it wrong-don't-blame-me" excuses) but he made a great deal of sense in his expanation of barking. And here he is on pets.ca tips:

Tip - 32 - Dog training - Barking dog - Treating Excessive “Alarm” OR “Warning” Barking

EXCESSIVE “ALARM” OR “WARNING” BARKING

Much of a dog’s barking is what can be called “alarm barking.” It is usually in the form of bursts of two or three barks with short pauses between them. It is an attempt to “call the pack” to check out something that they see or hear which may be threat. If you remember that barking is communication, it becomes fairly easy to stop. If, for example, they start excessive barking when someone comes near the door, or passes a window, you should go to the door or window, and let the dog see that you are inspecting the scene. Next, pat the dog and thank them for alerting you to someone being at the door. If there is someone there, have the dog sit and give them a treat. If not go back to where you were before, call the dog to you and praise them or give them a treat. DO NOT yell at them to “Shut up!” since they will interpret you shouts as barking. This will often result in increased barking since they feel that the leader of the pack responded to their barks with barks of his or her own, so the dog must be doing the right thing!

It is possible to train the dog to NEVER bark or call your attention to something being out of the ordinary around the house, however, this is not what you want. What you want is for the dog to continue alerting the household when there is something out of the ordinary for safety and security reasons. So accept your dog’s alarm call as part of the dog’s job. Once the dog has barked, however, your going to the door to see who is there should reassure the dog. The leader of the pack has responded to the dog’s communication and checked to make sure that everything under control. When the dog understands this, further barking and issuing of warnings is unnecessary.

© Copyright Stanley Coren, reproduction by permission only.

cpietra16
March 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks. it makes sense....I'll pass it on. Rottielover gave a few ideas too, so I'm hoping I'll have enough info to start her off with:thumbs up