Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ok, lets do it the way my grand dad did....

arpita
March 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hi All,

I have been reading the posts about how crappy dog food can get, and i was very interested in the point made by Technodoll, about eating food that humans eat. This is what we used to feed our dogs in india. We would cook brown rice, some beef with strong bones, some cereal grain for breakfast. much more convenient and cheaper.
When I came to america and got a dog, the vet here looked at me as if i was ill treating my dogs in india! they said dog food is the best for whatever reason.

I would like to now switch completely and give my cocker rice, chicken and beef, boiled. should i just start incorporating it in his dry kibble now and eventually phase it out? what about treats and snacks?

we got this dog from a breeder, will it have any consequences considering generations of this dog has eaten nothing but kibble?

Prin
March 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I doubt there will be any bad consequences, but you have to read up on how to make the diet balanced. There are certain things a dog must have in their diet to be healthy... (I don't homecook for my doggies, so I'm no expert on supplements and things to balance out a doggy...)

rainbow
March 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
I don't home cook for my dogs either but I know you would have to feed more than just boiled chicken/beef and rice for his meals to be balanced. He would need a small amount of veggies and calcium and other supplements but I have no idea as to the proper amounts.

mummummum
March 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
I did raw/ cooked for several years and yessirree, there is a lot more to it than meat and rice! If this is something you are considering, I strongly suggest you read through as many threads as you can on raw & cooked in this forum as most contain links to either books or websites specific to canine nutrition.

erykah1310
March 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Here are a bunch of links for raw feeding... really good reading material, but its gonna take you a few days lol

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36865&highlight=raw+links

technodoll
March 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
welcome to the forum, and yes it is a great idea to feed your dog "real foods" if you have the time and patience to cook... ;) if you want to a) make the diet healthier and balanced for your dog and b) spend less time with food preparation, i would strongly recommend you check out the raw feeding alternative. if you think about it, the only pets that eat cooked foods are our cats and dogs, and it is not a normal diet for them. in the wild (and other countries) they eat raw food and do very well on it :) it's much, much easier to balance and feed a raw diet than a cooked one.

also, dogs do not need grains and in fact do better without them. if you have any questions (and i hope you do, LOL!) then head on over to the home-feeding forum sub-section and we'll help you out! :highfive:

gypsy_girl
March 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
You can check out www.monicasegal.com
She has recipes based on NRC guidelines, as well as research