Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Supplements Necessary?

stergeR
March 1st, 2007, 02:20 AM
Do they really need a variety of supplements? Will too much supplements cause stress to her body in a long run?

Gone to the vet recently as my lady been down with skin allergies..
Medicine included antibiotic cream for affected areas, anti-histamine pills (take it when needed) , antibiotics pills (to finish all) and a small bottle of biologicVet bioFATS supplement for her.

Wondering if this biologicVet bioFATS is good to carry on...?

NUTRITION INFORMATION - Per 1 Pump (1000 mg)
* 515 mg - EssentialVector: Organic cold-pressed flaxseed and hempseed oils (linoleic acid, alpha linolenic acid)
* 463 mg - MarineVector: Molecular distilled wild salmon and krill oils (DHA, EPA, linolenic acid, linoleic acid)
* 5 I.U. - AntioxVector: Vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate), Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopherol ), sage extract (oleoresin sage), DHA-rich phosphatidyl choline (43 mg), arachidonic acid-rich phosphatidyl choline (42 mg), taurine (5 mg) , alpha lipoic acid (R+)
* 20 mg - TransportVector base: organic extra virgin olive oil and purified oleic acid complex, BioaminopeptaseTM

Rich supply of: linoleic acid (LA), alpha linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and arachidonic acid.

Macronutrient Profile:
Protein: <1%
Carbohydrate: <1%
Fat: 99+%

Source:biologicVet bioFATS (http://www.biologicnr.com/biologicvetnx/products/biofats.htm)

Scott_B
March 1st, 2007, 06:01 AM
IMO, if the dog is healthy, and eating a proper diet, no, but if they have some health issues, then supplementing can be necessary.

Do you know what her allergies are from? What are you feeding her?

Prin
March 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM
I give the fats supplement and I find it helps with the coat and skin. But it's really up to you. I use way less than the bottle says though...

rainbow
March 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
I agree with Scott.....I would only supplement if there are health issues. :)

Goldens4Ever
March 1st, 2007, 08:11 PM
I look at supplementation this way. Humans should consume a multiple vitamin in addition to their daily nutritional intake to maintain optimal health-it gives us a boost. Women should take a calcium supplement daily as well, as a boost to maintain strong bones. Studies have shown that providing humans with various supplements, in addition to their food, can be very beneficial.

I think the same applies with dogs. Yes, the high quality dog foods should contain everything they need, but supplementation (in the correct amounts) also gives them a boost. For instance, when dogs are taking antibiotics (or when they've finished them), giving them small dabs of plain yogurt puts good bacterias back in their stomachs. Most formulas contain probiotics, but giving them the yogurt provides a boost. Our two recieve an Omega Complex 3, 6, 9 daily & a dab of coconut oil 2xday. Is it vitally necessary? NO. It just gives them that boost. Studies have shown that providing dogs with various supplements, in addition to their food, can be very beneficial.

Scott_B
March 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
You kinda proved my point. A healthy dog doesnt need yogurt. A sick dog may.

and imo, dogs arent people. If you need to suppliment with oils so that their coat shines, then they arent getting proper nutrition in their diet.

But again, to each there own. :p

Goldens4Ever
March 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM
You kinda proved my point. A healthy dog doesnt need yogurt. A sick dog may.

and imo, dogs arent people. If you need to suppliment with oils so that their coat shines, then they arent getting proper nutrition in their diet.

But again, to each there own. :p

I'm sorry-I didn't mean to reiterate what you said.

No, they don't 'need' the extra supplementation, as they are receiving proper nutrition. Again, it's just providing them with that 'boost' that I mentioned. No, dogs are not people, of course. I was just proving a point that humans take supplements to give them an extra boost & the same applies to dogs. That is the similarity. I'm unsure of how that got confused. :shrug:

Scott_B
March 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
But is there a risk of over supplementation? Some studies say yes. why give something if its not needed?

I'm not sure it gives them a boost. And if it does, then chances are they're not getting what they need from their diet and so are not 100% healthy. Its hard to compare nutrition in humans vs dogs. We're so different. What works for us, doesnt work for them.

But again, thats just my personal opinion.

Prin
March 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM

But omega 3 fatty acids are very, very fragile, and oils like flaxseed oil and salmon oil break down at room temp very quickly. They even recommend that you keep flaxseed oil in the freezer. So the odds of any omega 3 being still potent after a food is fried at 400 degrees is very slim. :shrug:

Boo Boo
March 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM
I having been giving my dog nutrional supplements twice daily for 4 months no problems only progress. I like my brand because the ingredients are easy to understand what you are giving your animal. The supplement is made by standard process, they make supplements for people as well as canine/felines.

OntarioGreys
March 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM
The problem is over supplementation can also be bad, at one time I had become anemic, doctor has prescribed iron supplements but did not follow up with monitoring, I later went to my eye doctor who asked me if I was taking iron, he was seeing iron deposits in my eyes a sign I was getting too much.

Problems also can occur if the balance is not correct as in can cause malabsorption problems, for example taking too much of one vitamin can cause another to not be absorbed properly , same goes if lack if one type.

Most dog foods will add the correct balance of vitamins so as long as a dog is healthy there is no reason to add, certain health conditions like immune disorders can cause imbalance in that case supplementation is necessary.

But omega 3 fatty acids are very, very fragile, and oils like flaxseed oil and salmon oil break down at room temp very quickly. They even recommend that you keep flaxseed oil in the freezer. So the odds of any omega 3 being still potent after a food is fried at 400 degrees is very slim.

and most foods are coated after baking extrusion and packaged in special papers to try to pevent as much loss as possible

Prin
March 1st, 2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, but flaxseed oil and omega 3 in general doesn't last at room temp. Neither do the probiotics they spray on the food. If it's in fish meal form, it might have a chance, but if it's oil sprayed on, not much will survive.. I mean, it's better than none, but IMO, it doesn't mean the food is terrible if it needs a little omega 3 supplementation.

technodoll
March 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM
i think we need to differenciate between "natural supplementation" such as oils and herbs, and "vitamin supplementation" such as a multivitamin tablet... not the same risks and consequences, IMO. :dog:

Boo Boo
March 1st, 2007, 10:22 PM
I agree that you should be cautious on the types of supplements that are available to you.

I would use supplements that are derived from food sources as opposed to chemical sources. These are the first 8 ingredients of the supplement I give my dog: Bovine bone, dried pea juice, oat flour, bovine liver, veal bone PMG, bovine kidney, and beet root

Prin
March 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM
These are the first 8 ingredients of the supplement I give my dog: Bovine bone, dried pea juice, oat flour, bovine liver, veal bone PMG, bovine kidney, and beet rootBooBoo, what is that supplement for? It doesn't sound too appetizing. :o

Goldens4Ever
March 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
i think we need to differenciate between "natural supplementation" such as oils and herbs, and "vitamin supplementation" such as a multivitamin tablet... not the same risks and consequences, IMO. :dog:

Right. That wasn't clarified well; I was skipping back & forth between the two. I was referring to the natural supplements like Omegas & those alike. :sorry: for the confusion.

I also agree with you (Scott B) that human's bodies are not like dogs, although the importance & notion of natural supplementation is fairly similar between the two, IMO. :)

Scott_B
March 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
But omega 3 fatty acids are very, very fragile, and oils like flaxseed oil and salmon oil break down at room temp very quickly. They even recommend that you keep flaxseed oil in the freezer. So the odds of any omega 3 being still potent after a food is fried at 400 degrees is very slim. :shrug:

And again, thats what I'm saying. They're not getting the proper nutrition from their diet if the oils are breaking down before consumption.

Boo Boo
March 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Prin

My dog stosh has luxating patellas(bad knees) in both rear legs. The ligaplex supplements helps to build stronger bones/ligaments.

Everyone has had great advance here in regards to supplements, they need to be treated with the same precautions as medicines.

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ahhh, thanks. I hope it works for him.:) I had just never seen a supplement with "oat flour" before.:o

stergeR
March 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
IMO, if the dog is healthy, and eating a proper diet, no, but if they have some health issues, then supplementing can be necessary.
Do you know what her allergies are from? What are you feeding her?

My lady is on TO lamb and apple currently. No other new stuffs/food are given at that point of time before her skin allergy erupts. Its one of the worse, she experienced. I reckon it might be during one of those weekly meet up with her furry friends? As one of them had quite a bad allergy from what i see. A patch of fur on his back were missing due to biting and scratching claimed by the owner. Its seems near to recovery though. :shrug: My lady had signs, ie: loss of fur in the affected areas, few bumps, itching..
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/stergeR28/00.jpg

stergeR
March 3rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Will take note for all the advises/replies. Heartfelt thanks to everyone...! :angel:

Boo Boo
March 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
I glad to hear she is on the road to recovery!:thumbs up

Goldens4Ever
March 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
StergeR-
Aspen has Seborrhea & Goldie has allergies. Upon the recommendation of a woman who owns a natural food store, we started giving our two dabs of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 2x/day. I mentioned this to our vet (who also practices homeopathic remedies) & the idea was very well liked. Although I haven't read any scientific studies on this, many people have attested to the wonderful benefits of coconut oil in dogs (& HUMANS) with skin problems & allergies. It's worth trying, as it possesses many other beneficial attributes. :love:

Here's a few websites:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg0900171021268.html?2
http://www.coconut-connections.com/testimonials.htm
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petallergies.htm

stergeR
March 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
:thumbs up CooL! didnt know that virgin coconut oil could do such wonders..
Will definitely look into those links to understand more....
Thanks!