Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RRR (Really Reliable Recall)

Spirit
March 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Has anyone heard of this technique, or know anything about what steps are used to obtain it? I've done some research and so far I've learned that removing the leash and not using any lures are two the most important steps (no "leash jerk" corrections, no treat "bribery", etc), followed by playing "hide and seek" as a starter to build the foundation (and all done with positive reinforcement, of course). My dog has mastered this (hide and seek) and his recall is about 90% reliable in areas of moderate distraction (ie. dog parks), but I'm really interested in learning this technique to work on this until the little man grows up (damn teenagers), or an opinion on the book or dvd would be appreciated too.

Anyone? :thumbs up

He's also developed two new behavioral issues in the last few days (growling, howling, or barking at the window (boogeyman syndrome), and counter surfing when I'm out of the room, or trying when I'm too far to do anything about it). I'm pretty sure I know the reasons why for both (I haven't been staying at home), but how to deal with them appropriately is the problem. If anyone has any suggestions on either problem, I'd be happy to hear of them. Playing with his leash has also gotten worse, but one of the kids has been reinforcing this (an already existing problem - haven't been able to stop this one since... well... ever... but I was getting close!!). :mad:

JanM
March 1st, 2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know specifically about the method you are asking about but I sure do agree with not using treats! I played Hide and Seek with Bobby and he loves to find me - when I really want him to come and he is out of sight I use "Find Me" and he comes a'runnin. I'd be interested too in any more info on this..

Lissa
March 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
I bought the DVD and was actually quite disappointed with it.

I'd heard RAVE reviews about it and figured there had to be some new/secret technique but its basically everything we already know that has to be done (and either don't have the time or patience to employ everything step-by-step)... For me, it was a waste of $60 (with the s/h charges!)...

I watched it once and its spend the rest of the time being lent out to my friends/trainers so I don't remember all the details... Our OB course starts on Monday so I can get it back then, re-watch it, take notes and pass it on to you (no sense in you going to the expense of buying it!)

Too bad we don't live closer, otherwise you'd be very welcome to it.:D

Spirit
March 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM
I appreciate the offer! No WAY was I going to spend $60 to learn something I already know how to do (my goal is to speed up and improve), but I've been really quite curious because I (like you) have heard so many positive things about this "method".

When you do get a chance though, I'd love some cribnotes... I'm dead curious what all the fuss is about. Especially since I have both the time and the patience to see if it really does make a difference in speeding up his recall. It's almost flawless, but it frustrates me to no end when I call him away from a high distraction, and he slooooowly turns and walks my way. Run, puppy, RUN! :frustrated: lol

Thanks, Lissa!

Now on to the other issues... anyone have any ideas on how to stop this ("barking at the boogeyman" syndrome, strong desire to steal food when I'm in theroom or distracted, and playing (not tugging) with leash)? Maybe I should start another thread?

Edit: New thread started here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37250

Lissa
March 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
No problem, I will get the notes to you once I've refreshed my memory.

All I remember is that RRR is about making recall an instinctive response - so your dog doesn't think, he just comes. And to get that kind if instinctiveness, you can't use it 50 times a day -its an emergency recall so it may not speed up your dog's everyday recall.

Other than that, all I remember is Leslie Nelson saying, when you reward your dog, don't be fast food... And she demonstrated with 2 tiny pieces of food- one of which she just handed out to her dog, who promptly went back to his bed...The next time she didn't give it up so easily so the dog stayed with her longer and interacted with her longer...So be as rewarding as possible and keep their attention on you.

Basic flyball training has improved Dodger's recall - we do A LOT of restrained recalls because it instantly motivates the dog to move fast. There is also huge amounts of toy motivation training which is where the speed comes from. As they run back from the box, we call them, have our tug toy ready and run away - all the dogs go into a higher gear when they see that...
Like you, I struggle with Dodger's recall - being a hound makes him very distractable so this isn't something we've been able to perfect yet either!:rolleyes:

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Aww, I was hoping it was a miracle.:D

I'm still thinking about the other three issues... :D

OntarioGreys
March 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
There is no such thing as 100% recall, dog are not programmable robots, they can be taught to ignore certain distractions but something new could happen which the dog has not experienced before or often enough that can cause them to become distracted. Level of excitement and instinct also plays a role in how close to the 100% can be achieved but 100% itself can never be achieved

I have watched police dogs and movie actor dogs in training they get much more training than the average pet dog and they will still screw up sometimes when it comes to following commands. Police dog training is much more intensive because they work in highly violatole distractive environments so mistakes can be critical but when a dog is in a highly excited state there is no guarantee they will follow every command immediately and to the letter, that is reality. Anyone that can promise to train 100% recall is a liar or knows nothing about dogs

Spirit
March 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
There is no such thing as 100% recall

That in itself would be a miracle. (LOL Prin!!)

I'm only looking for ways to tweak and improve it (speed it up). If it's at 90% now, I'd be happy to either raise it to 95% (not expected), or simply just speed it up. He's still young, and because of his age, it's natural for him to occasionally blow me off as he's still testing the waters to determine exactly what he can get away with. And I don't repeat a command twice, but it sure would be nice if he would turn and run to me instead of his "fine, if I have to" walk. Most of the time it's a quick trot (which I'm okay with most of the time), but there are times when I say here, and he walks, and I end up yelling (in a happy excited voice) "RUN! FASTER! C'MON, C'MON, C'MON!!" (etc). Concidering his age, his recall is REALLY great, but there's always room for improvement. Reliable is my goal, which right now, although he's close, I don't trust him in certain situations (like if he's in my front yard and running towards my neighbor across the street, whom he gets really excited to see). At the dog park, at work, home, or areas of lower "excitement", it's great.

Prin: I think I have it figured out though (or at least partly). The leash thing is a work in progress, but his schedule is completely disturbed. With all the duties I have right now, even though my dog is with me all day long, I feel like I miss him because I'm so busy doing other things. And while I'm doing other things, he's playing with the kids or napping (takes a lot of energy to play with 3 kids all day long). We do some basic training during the day and we cuddle at night, but we haven't even gone for a walk in well over a week. Anyway, I started a new thread (see above for link) so if you can think of a way to help... :lovestruck: (I'll repost some of what I just said in that thread as to not confuse the two.)

Prin
March 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
lol I've been in that thread, but Lissa is so comprehensive, it's a little intimidating to add to. :o Go Lissa! :)

Lissa
March 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
lol I've been in that thread, but Lissa is so comprehensive, it's a little intimidating to add to. :o Go Lissa! :)

Hey no fair!:crazy: I was just trying to be thorough because there was only one response on that thread!:o

I know there are other ways of doing things and I'm open to them - I really appreciate and respect your opinion so please don't hold back on my account:D :thumbs up

Prin
March 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
lol It's not a bad thing that you were comprehensive. It was a good thing. :) You pretty well covered everything...:o

Ok, I'll go have another look, but don't be surprised if I don't reply again.:D