Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First Day Of Basic Obedience

Colubridz
February 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Duke went back for his second level of Obidence, as he completed puppy obidence at 3 months old. I was recomended the place by three seperate people, one who happens to be my mom's co-worker and had the guy who runs it come over to help with her fear aggressive border collie. He did get neutered yesterday however they said the first class is 90% talking to explain course concepts and training methods and so on and then 10% basic commands to see where everyone is at so I decided it was probabaly better to bring him with then just leave him at home locked up in the crate as he's only been able to go on short 20 min walks.

The trainer wasn't happy about it but Duke was calm and the loud enviroment wasn't really getting him riled up so I decided it was probably fine. We went over all of the training methods they would be using, none which waved warning flags. We then did some simple excersises which Duke did well.

The class was small with only 4 dogs ( their were supposde to be two others but they couldn't make it), and I liked the layout of the classroom and the trainers were both very good at communicating with everyone on where they could improve. Over all I was very impressed and yet something about the one piticular trainer really agitated me, maybe I'm just over tired as logically theirs nothing I didn't like about the class, I think I'm just having one of those days.

Anyways I shall update you guys as Duke progresses.

Cheers
Kayla

jessi76
March 1st, 2007, 08:08 AM
He did get neutered yesterday however they said the first class is 90% talking to explain course concepts and training methods and so on and then 10% basic commands to see where everyone is at so I decided it was probabaly better to bring him with then just leave him at home locked up in the crate as he's only been able to go on short 20 min walks.

The trainer wasn't happy about it but Duke was calm and the loud enviroment wasn't really getting him riled up so I decided it was probably fine.

while it's GREAT to enroll in more classes, I have to agree that the day after a neuter isn't the best time to bring him to a new class. Duke should be home, resting. Even though it is minimally invasive surgery, it's STILL surgery. Your dog may be very sore, but not communicating just how sore he really is. At least a week free of training classes, daycare, playdates, dog parks, and romps is really best. If I were you, I'd really take it easy for the rest of the week, dont' push new training exercises, and stick to short easy walks.

Colubridz
March 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM
I know what you mean about letting him rest all week and believe me he will not be doing any agility in the backyard ( as I've begun making my own equipment to get him ready to compete) or having any play dates but I figured if the class was essentially going to be 50 mins of talking i.e us standing their and then 20 mins of us doing basic commands like sit and down I really didn't think it would be a big deal plus noone was home so he would have simply been locked up in his crate which would have only made him more hyper and ramboncous when we got home.

Kayla

Spirit
March 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
Ripped stitches, a torn incision, or infection is something you don't want to deal with. Please keep him rested for at least a week, then keep exercise to an ABSOLUTE MINUMUM for another week until those stitches come out. All it takes it one wrong movement for something to happen, and putting him in situations where that could possibly happen just isn't a good idea. Keeping him inside for now is really the best thing for him.

Colubridz
March 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
I know what you guys mean about how critical it is for him to get rest and I appriciate the concern as I care very much about Duke and would never intentionally put him in a situation where he would experince discomfort or pain. I have been checking his stitches daily and so far so good:), of course as you guys have mentioned he is banned from all doggie play dates and so on until he's fully recovered ( he's going back for his recheck next week). I will also keep everyone updated on his progress through Basic Obidence:).

Kayla