Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

coyotes and pets

marsupial mama
February 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
here was an article in the local rag today about an increase in the local urban coyote population. Unfortunately I can't find an on-line version to post a link...

It seems that small pets are being taken by coyotes, especially cats that are let out at night, and they are warning pet owners to be very careful, especially at dusk, and not to leave pets outside unsupervised.

A few years ago they "developed" an area that was previously woods and fields, then people were freaking out because pets were taken by coyotes. sometimes in the back yard right in front of their owners.

There was a dip in the coyote population after that, now it seems to be on the rise again.

I read in the T Star a few years ago about coyotes in High park, and some chap who sent his small dog over to play with "the nice doggie over there" - which was in fact a coyote but fortunately there was someone in the know (a zoology student or something) who was able to intervene and prevent a tragedy...

Yet another good reason to keep your cat indoors and your dog on the leash!

jessi76
February 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
good advice which is always worth repeating!

in my area (MA), the horses across the street from my house were attacked. the largest one had a huge gash in her neck from being bitten. Another neighbor's chow mix scared the coyotes off their property, they went next door to the horses, and attacked.

We were all stunned to learn a coyote attacked the horse, they normally don't go for something so large. so, it's not just small pets who are at risk.

Kristin7
March 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, they are everywhere these days! They were all over in San Diego when I lived there, even right in the city, which is full of canyons. Now I live in a fairly large Midwestern US city (~1 million) and have seen them here too quite often. I live right in the city and have seen a dead one on the road only a few blocks from my house! Also, lots of stray dogs which are also dangerous to cats (not to mention the cars and crazy people).

marsupial mama
March 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
wow,that's scary about the horses being attacked :sad: A friend used to live 2 hours north of here and said that one winter they had bear coming around, a bit far south I would have thought, but you never know these days...

we have lots of ravines and creeks running through the Toronto area. The latest coyote sightings centre on some of the lakefront parks but I am sure they can go wherever they want in the city...

and the traffic around here is lousy. and we have crazy people too... at least stray dogs are pretty rare!

Lise
March 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
We have coyotes in our woods they go around our horse field since we have Folly,our mule,who would probably kill a coyote,but it is really strange that they would go after something as big as horse usually small animals.They may not have been coyotes,coydogs are usually bigger and more aggressive or they could have been starving.The gash in the horses neck could also have been from running into something if it was being chased.I look at it this way we are in their space and it is up to us to protect our pets and livestock from them.We have chickens,ducks,guineas,rabbits,dogs,cats,horses and our mule we have never had an injury or attack from a coyote,we know they're there since we hear them and see tracks most nights.I guess we've been lucky,but being careful also helps.

mummummum
March 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
we have lots of ravines and creeks running through the Toronto area. The latest coyote sightings centre on some of the lakefront parks but I am sure they can go wherever they want in the city...

I live in downtown Toronto (near Yonge and Bloor) and while I haven't seen any coyotes for the last few years (since the big die-off) , I used to see them quite regularly. I've also seen deer in along the Don River and in the adjacent ravines. This year seems to be the year of the rabbit. We also have resident red-tailed hawks in my neck of the woods of Toronto.

clm
March 3rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'm in Mississauga and I see and hear coyotes a lot and have for the past 20+ years. All but 1 of my cats are indoor only, the big male stray indoor/outdoor cat that I have has managed to stay clear of them. They can't get in my yard as it's very well fenced. I've seen them here, Brampton and Oakville. I leave for work before dawn, so I see them a fair bit more than most people would I guess. There's a whole lot of urban wildlife around here that I see quite often, we have groundhogs, possums, raccoons. On the odd occassion I've seen deer behind my neighbors chain link fence, and we've even had a pheasant in the rock garden a few times.
These creatures are to be respected as much as any other form of life and I like to see them and am quite happy that I get to see them in the middle of a big city.

Cindy

erykah1310
March 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
They are everywhere here, they dont pose a problem though.
They just hang out in the fields and stuff. When I had my chickens we had a few foxes come by but Meik took care of them. ( he just chased them off, nothing brutal)

angeldogs
March 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
We get the coyotes in the field between a riding stable and one of our companies in mississauga.