Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worries about adopting a dog and how my cats will react...

DocRaceHer
February 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I have 2 cats, 11 yo female and 4 yo male. The male is a super friendly & affectionate cat, I just worry that if I introduce a dog he will become more independant and stay that way...my female is a 'chicken' cat, verry nervous and always hidding under the bed blanket - nothing would change there (unless she start to get sick of nervousness...)

I live in a 2 story house, so I was thinking about blocking the 2nd floor for a while, so the cats could feel 'safe'.

Anyone had a similar situation? What were the results? Txn :o)

BTW: I'm looking to get a female boxer.

Catzig
February 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
We have 3 cats who all react very differently to our 1 yr old German Shepherd. When we put up puppy gates, we installed escape hatches for the cats to make a hasty getaway. Our cats are older (12, 12 & 11) so they quickly tire of the very active dog and can therefore control their own exposure to the beast.

dogcatharmony
February 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have to ten year old cats and a two year old dog now. I too was worried about the cats but I just made sure that the dog knew right off the bat chasing the cats was a big NO NO. Make sure the cats have a room that is just for themselves.......and their food and litter is in "their" safe place. I also live in a two storey house and when the dog was little I blocked the stairs for her own safety and to give the cats room to wander.

I just supervised their interactions...I never forced one or the other to greet each other. It took awhile but now the cats come down and roam the house freely. One of them sleeps with the dog.

rainbow
February 27th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Introduce them very slowly and make sure the cats have easy access to their "safe place".

janeto
February 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM
i have 4 cats and 1 other dog and then i brought in just yesterday my new puppy and so far things are going very good. the cats have there safe place and today very slowly have been coming to meet her on there own. the are very skidish becasue of my sherice who liked to play a little to much with them sometimes. but so far a ok. i had the same worries. good luck

Kristin7
February 27th, 2007, 06:43 PM
My cats are similar in age and temperment to yours. I brought home a 5 mo old mutt this past summer (~50 lbs, medium energy). The younger more outgoing cat was fine, except she did get an injury somehow running away from him. Definitely work on the dog to make sure he/she is gentle, can be called away from chasing or ban chasing altogether. This is hard for me because my cat loves being chased, so I let them play, but my dog is easily called away. Also have lots of places the cats can get away esp when you are gone. Probably good to keep them separated while you are away for awhile. My other cat doesn't like being harassed so she let my dog know right away and he leaves her alone. It has worked out well. The only thing is my younger cat doesn't get to play w/ her toys much because I have to keep them away from my dog (he eats them). If you can somehow get a dog that has been 'cat tested' that is probably best. Hope you find a good match! :dog:

Frenchy
February 27th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Introduce them very slowly and make sure the cats have easy access to their "safe place".

I second that. I had 2 older cats when I adopted Bailey. He was 5-6 years old at the time so he wasn't too excited for them. It does take time if the cats are scared of the dog. Usually when the dog can smell them (if they don't run away) everything will be fine.