Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Allergic to Plastic

Winston
February 27th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hello there! has anyone ever heard of a cat becoming allergic to plastic?? I will have to get the medical name from the vet the next time we go but my mothers cat is allergic to plastic. We had too remove anything that is plastic that he came in contact with...we changed his bowls...he is on a Hills ZD diet for now! ( that will be changing now that I have learned so much on here about food! ) He also is on 1 prednisone table a day..it was previously 2 tablets..

His symptoms are really crusty feet.....also around his mouth...he has red sores that almost look like a cold sore! poor baby! things are better since he has been taking the prednisone but it never goes away...The vet said that we should hope for the pills too work because if not he will need a special kind of needle frequently and it brings on diabetes with some cats..He will always need some form of treatment!!

He is a resuce that was fending for himself for a short period in his life...but he has all his shots, neutered and a great cat!

I feel so bad for him!

Cindy

DocRaceHer
February 27th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'm no vet, but could it also be because of the cleaning products used on the flooring? I had a cat who died because of what I was using, she used to like it off her paws...just a taught.

Hope your cat feels better.

Winston
February 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
No we checked into potential environmental issues and really there were none?? My mom actually had carpeting installed and there is an improvement in the paw area but that could also be from the prednisone??

chico2
February 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Winston,most cats have a reaction to plastic foodbowls,something I did not know until my 3 cats started breaking out on their chins and faces.
I changed their bowls to stainless and have had no more problems since.
What I don't understand,is why plastic-bowls are even sold,after a lenghty time in use,they are germ-collectors and I believe not a safe product.
Your kitty might have a more widespread allergy,but my cats were only allergic to their bowls.
Hope your kitty gets better soon:cat: