Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ecopet - what do we think of this food?

gomez
February 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM
By default, Gomez is being fed this product while at quarantine. It was either this or Science Diet (not).

Currently he is getting the chicken and veg roll. It looks allright, what do you think?

http://www.ecopet.com.au

Scott_B
February 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I cant see where they list the ingredients, which raises a big red flag to me. :evil:

barkley21
February 27th, 2007, 09:17 AM
The Chicken and Veg roll contains soy which isn't great. It also has chicken as the first ingredient so most of that is water and when processed it is no longer the main ingredient of the food, vegetables are. It seems to me that this is almost a vegetarian diet :shrug:

rainbow
February 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
It looks better than Science Diet (which isn't hard :rolleyes: ) but I couldn't find a list of the actual ingredients either. This is all I could find from their website:

Ecopet is a Natural Product

* No Added Preservatives
* No added Chemicals
* No added Colours
* No added Sugars
* No added Thickeners
* No added Emulsifiers
* No added water
* Low water content

Benefits
Herbal anti-allergy additive. (Fenugreek)
Herbal aid to digestion. (Anise)
Help with skin problems - eczema. (No additives)
Help with intestinal problems. (Anise)
Natural wormer. (Garlic)
Help with flatulence. (Anise, garlic, no additives)
Veterinary recommendation and usage.
Reduces breath problems. (Excluding teeth problems)
Firmer stools - easier to clean up
High energy yield per kilo - feed less

Product analysis (As supplied by National analytical Laboratories Pty Ltd)

Ecopet rolls per 100gms:
Protein - 16.1gms
Fat - 8.4gms
Fibre - 0.7 gms
Moisture - 59.8 gms
Calcium - 1.37 gms
Carbohydrate - 3.9 gms
Gross energy MJ/kg - 14.8
Kilo calories/100 gm - 211

Other Features
all ingredients purchased as human consumable.
Sealed then cooked to retain all food value.
Slow and thorough cooking to kill maximum bacterial.
Micro-biologically tested - bacteria count very low.
Permitted to be displayed next to human consumables in retail outlets.
Long shelf life - 5 weeks refrigerated - frozen indefinitely.
Low volume of packaging waste.
All ingredients processed fresh daily.

Storage
Ecopet Rolls have a long refrigerated shelf-life as a result of its packaging and cooking process. Ecopet rolls will maintain their high quality if unopened and refrigerated for 5-6 weeks. If you wish to store them longer they can be frozen. Once opened Ecopet Rolls should be consumed within 7 days covering the exposed area between servings.
Ecopet Dry Food should be stored in a dry area to achieve its 6 months shelf life.

Cheaper
Cheaper to feed compared to other processed foods. (Refer to Cost Comparison chart)

Prin
February 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Well, if their dry food is any indication...

Ecopets 100% natural formulation contains beef, lamb, rice, wheat, wheatgerm, bran, pollard, maize meal, lucerne meal, coconut meal, bone flour, garlic, and salt.

What's lucerne?

And "bone flour"? Whose bones?

rainbow
February 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Where did you find the dry food ingredients? :o They look gross. :yuck:

"Lucerne" here in B.C. is Safeway's (supermarket from U.S.) brand of dairy products. :p

Prin
February 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM
When you choose your meat in the "our range" section, there's a 4th option of dry food.:D

gomez
February 28th, 2007, 04:52 AM
All right, well, he will only be on this food another 3 weeks - he seems to be fine on it, and he was switched on to it overnight with no side effects..

The only other choice we have is Science Diet, so I think I will leave him on it for now -

I will try and find other choices around here - it seems quite limited, most of the dog and cat food is in the refrigerated section next to the meats and poultries, mostly rolls or balls - apparently dogs here don't eat much kibble - I have also tried pet stores and internet, but the best I can find is Nutrience or EVO...

In the pet stores they have fridges for the rolls of food and chunks of kangaroo meat which is very popular feed for dogs...

oy:o

technodoll
February 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
and remember where the raw-feeding boom came from :D