Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 males, 2 females, 1 of each? (kittens)

heather17021977
February 26th, 2007, 06:13 PM
We are getting 2 kittens next week and I want to ensure I pick a "safe" combination. All kittens will be spayed/neutered before we get them.

What will get along the best???

rainbow
February 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
If you're getting two kittens about the same age at the same time it really doesn't matter. :)

dr_dolittle57
February 26th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Shouldn't be an issue. You may not want to pair the most aggressive one with the most passive one. You don't want the weaker one to have a bad childhood. Enjoy your kittens.

Kristin7
February 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I dont think it would matter much either. Are they going to be from the same litter? If so, watch them interact and I would do what dr dolittle suggests. If one is much more aggressive or playful than the other they may not always enjoy each other's company. I'm sure there are exceptions, but from what I have seen, short haired cats tend to be more active than long hairs. I have 2 females, and one is very playful, the other one does not like other cats touching her. They don't get along at all, although aren't litter mates either and aren't close in age. I would not get another female cat to add to my mix, but a male might do ok. They have both been around males and gotten along with them. I think you will probably be safe by getting 2 at the same time, esp if they are littermates. :cat: :cat:

heather17021977
February 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if they will be littermates but they will definitely have been brought up together in the same play area and around the same age (10-12 weeks old) I'm just trying to think ahead to when they are adults. I've heard that males will be attached at the hip when grow up together but I've also heard they could start to fight...

Females are more dominant so what happens when there are two female kittens growing up together?

Any incite on this?

Kristin7
February 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I don't know about females growing up together, but have had 2 males and a female who were fairly close in age growing up. The female was the outcast and the two males would play and play and also sleep together. If you get them neutered that should lessen the chance of fighting (and spraying etc). Sometimes their play would get rough enough that it seemed like fighting but they never hurt each other and were great friends. My females seem more tempermental, one is a jealous type and the other very particular about which animals she likes. It may be hard to tell with kittens how they will turn out. However, I do recall, when my particular female was a kitten and we got a male kitten her same age a few weeks later, they didn't really get along from the start. I think if you watch all the kittens interact for awhile, you will probably do ok and pick 2 that like each other. Of course, there are no guarantees, even if they get along as kittens or adults, that can always change.

heather17021977
February 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yea I think thats the best thing to do...watch them and observe. Hopefully the shelter's staff will be able to help us pick out the right combination.

rainbow
February 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I've had all combinations of males and females and we've never had any issues. :shrug: Good luck with your new kitties and don't forget to post pics. :D

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I agree- gender should not be an issue. If they are from the same litter and have already bonded, they will get along just fine!! Even if they are not from the same litter, if introduced early on , they will be bonded buddies for life!

Congrats on your new family members!

shenjall
March 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I agree with pp's.

We have 2 boys (1yr) we got when they were kittens (different litter) and just added a girl (3yrs).
I've found personality really plays a part in how they get along. One of my boys is more of a loner, he'll come cuddle when he wants, but thats it. My other boy looooooves to cuddle and loooooves human attention. But they get along with each other very well too. Now our new girl, has bonded really well with my cuddly boy - b/c she's a cuddler herself I believe.

Good luck!

rainbow
March 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Did you get your kittens yet? :cat: :cat:

Pike
March 6th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Duplicate thread, please post responses in the original thread.