Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

introducing to other animals (dogs)

athenamor
February 26th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Hello out there. I had a question, maybe someone has experience. Our family is about to move back to FL (Hubby is getting out of Army) we will have to stay with my mother for a bit while we get settled find a home to buy, etc... She has 3 pups of her own. Now, Bourbon doesnt do well with most animals. Mainly because they try to play w/ him too soon, and he feels threatened. i.e. the new "friend" will run up and start jumping at him (usually smaller, younger dogs). He's only been completely ok with one dog, a beagle who ran up to him and plopped down until he was done sniffing, after a couple weeks of seeing her often, he actually played with her. Bourbon doesnt play often. So it was nice to see.

So my question is how can I insure an easy as possible adjustment without putting too much stress on Bourbon or risk my mom's dogs getting attacked. Bourbon's been like this since we got him (3 yrs ago at the pound). He's older, 8yrs old, and I dont know if I should get a muzzle, or how to make it easy on him. He's going to go through alot of changes also. New home, climate, and my mom's dogs. any help is appreciated thank you.

LynLyn
February 26th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I recommend a very slow and supervised meeting between all dogs. Maybe start with them meeting in separate rooms through a closed door so that they can get used to eachothers scents, and slowly go up to supervised play. I've also heard that you should not introduce a new pet in a home because the other dogs will become territorial. Others on the forum will have some great advice for you.

athenamor
February 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Thank you. All the advice I can get is greatly appreciated. Louis ( he's a rat terrier), is male and young, and he's the one that we worry about territorial. It took him a while to stop marking his territory in the house when he was a puppy. the other two Biscut (dauchshound) and Olivia (mixed breed) are very calm, and havent had issues with friends coming over. Louis isn't aggressive, but he is playful. My mom said in the past he's wanted to just play right away, and can be energetic. The exact opposite of Bourbon who is laid back and rarely playful.

When Bourbon has been introduced to pups that want to play right way (jumping up in his face and such) he gets a little testy (I think he feels threatened), and tries to attack. With dogs that are just as leery as him, he's stiff, but doesnt try to bite. And they end up just sniffing eachother for a while. Lacey ( the beagle I mentioned) he kinda just stands/lays there while she jumps up at him. I think because she always lets him sniff before she makes any sudden movements.

SnowDancer
February 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I would never leave the dogs alone when all humans are out - no matter how well they seem to get along. The one I would be most concerned about is Biscuit the Dachshund - you mentioned he is calm - calm as in Assertive - Alpha but Benevolent? My 2 main Dachshund boys were this way and accepted other animals - but then a couple of them wanted to challenge him - and he did only weigh 10 lbs. We went through the grabbing of them by the back of the neck. Not pleasant. Hope everything works out.

athenamor
February 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Biscut is calm as in welcomes/adjusts easily with other animals/people, same as Olivia. Louis, adjusts/welcomes easily, but he's very playful and active, which would make Bourbon nervous. We have a Kennel for Bourbon, and he likes it. It was his sleeping place before the kids started playing in it, he has a real dog bed now, and enjoys it, though will probably need replaced soon.

I am concerned on the stress Bourbon would be under. My mom's dogs have always been around other dogs, and go/recieve visits with friends that have dogs. It's cats they like to chase. Bourbon is leery of other dogs, stiff and defensive, sudden movements can be dangerous for the other pup. Cats, he likes to try to eat/torment, as well as rabbits, deer, anything furry running away. He's always kept on a tight leash when he's out. With his age, I know this move will be hard for him, but I cant leave him here. We promised to give him a home for life, I want to keep that promise to him. He's not a puppy anymore, from what I understand, he was hard to adopt out because of his size and age. We all were lucky. I am greatful for the lady who insisted we meet him even though his age/size wasn't quite what we were looking for.

OntarioGreys
February 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
You may want to invest in a babygate to seperate so he can still see the other dogs. a lot of older dogs will not tolerate being jumped on by a puppy or having a strange dog getting in their face, and it is not unusual for a dog to snap at another if greeted face first

Read this article it may make some sense as to why he behaves as he does

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

athenamor
February 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Thank you so much. Great article, makes sense. I guess we as humans forget dogs feel they way we do when it comes to personal space.

We plan on introducing one dog at a time. I will have his kennel as well. His safe haven. When we kept it up when we first got him, he voluntarily went in there to sleep or lay down. My mom also has 3 bedrooms. I dont expect Bourbon to be ok with the other ones right away. especially all three at once. I think Olivia and Biscut will be polite, they play w/ eachother, but dont assume a new "friend" is ready right way. Louis is the one who thinks everyone likes him and wants to play right then and there. My mom has had some experience with introducing new dogs. Just never as old, big, or leery as Bourbon. Most have been fairly young, no more then a few years old.

Do they sell higher baby gates, I used to use them for when my son was smaller, Bourbon jumped them to get to the blocked areas of the house.

OntarioGreys
February 27th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Try 2 babygates one stacked over the other, then you would have double the height ;)

athenamor
February 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM
thanks again, There's a perfect "divider" spot in her house for that.