Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why does my cat meow when I sneeze??

Maianne
February 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Just a strange thing Yoshi does. He lets out two or three prolonged meows right after I sneeze. It makes no difference what he's doing at the time - he could be playing, eating, in the middle of a deep sleep, etc. Yesterday, I was in another room and I sneezed twice and he came running into the room, meowed 3 times, and flopped on the floor. :laughing: He doesn't do this when hubby sneezes. What's up with that??

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Awww...Yoshi is worried about his mommy! :lovestruck:

Actually, I don't know enough about cats to even make a guess, but it sure does sound like he's just saying gesundheit! :D

We had a springer spaniel who was unafraid in even the most harrowing situations--but she ran in fear every time my husband sneezed. :laughing: She didn't mind my sneezes at all... :shrug: I asked her many times what the problem with hubby's sneezes was, but she never answered. :D

Cram
February 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Ha! My Ella does that whenever I sneeze too! And her I thought it was just a weird quirk of hers ...

mummummum
February 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I think it has something to do with the unusualness of the sound and the particular animal's sensitivity to your discomfort. Ceili gets very concerned if I sneeze repeatedly, am "ill" or on those rare occasions when I laugh "uncontrollably" ( you know the crying, wheezing, squealing, panting kind :D). Declan doesn't know what to make of it and wants to be comforted. Bridie could care less.

Though today, I had a totally unexpected, open-mouth sneeze which showered bridie completely. Well ! You should have seen the complete look of :frustrated: :cool: disdain I got... harrrrummphh indeed!

Shamrock
February 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM
One of my 3 cats does this too. Each subsequent sneeze brings a new meow.
Its a funny reaction, isnt it?
The sound triggers an impulse to vocalize, but why? :D

happycats
February 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
My youngest 2 (brothers) Boowee and Jay, also do this, they actually come running and meowing at the same time.
And I thought mine were the only ones:o
It's funny too, because it's only when "I" sneeze, the don't react at all if anyone else sneezes.

krdahmer
March 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Wow... lol i missed this thread... Windy does that too...thought she was a weirdo, maybe not so. She doesnt always come running, but I've sneezed in the bedroom and heard her call out a couple meows from the cat tree in the living room. I always say bless you when they sneeze too, so no weirder
I guess. What thoughtful babies!:lovestruck: