Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the one dish you cannot make, no matter what?

Skryker
February 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
It's an odd thing, but I've noticed that many good cooks have one thing they can't make, no matter how they try or what recipe they use.

Mine is banana bread-the best I've ever managed were what my brother called banana pound muffins. :D They tasted OK, but they were dense and heavy. I won't even go into the other disasters from my attempts. :frustrated:

My husband can't manage rice. Doesn't matter what type of rice, what type of pot-he even had bullet hard rice out of a steamer once. :o

My Mom's is pastry-pie crusts and Yorkshire pudding especially. Never-fail recipes produce shoe-leather like pie crusts.

So, what is your personal food Waterloo? What dish causes you to retreat from the kitchen in despair? :D

cherokee
February 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM
It's an odd thing, but I've noticed that many good cooks have one thing they can't make, no matter how they try or what recipe they use.

Mine is banana bread-the best I've ever managed were what my brother called banana pound muffins. :D They tasted OK, but they were dense and heavy. I won't even go into the other disasters from my attempts. :frustrated:

My husband can't manage rice. Doesn't matter what type of rice, what type of pot-he even had bullet hard rice out of a steamer once. :o

My Mom's is pastry-pie crusts and Yorkshire pudding especially. Never-fail recipes produce shoe-leather like pie crusts.

So, what is your personal food Waterloo? What dish causes you to retreat from the kitchen in despair? :D

mine is rice pudding...:eek: couldnt make it if my life depended on it

Lukka'sma
February 25th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I simply can not for the life of me make shortbread cookies:yell: . only requires three ingredience, but try as I may, can't get the right consistency or flavour.

technodoll
February 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
roasts. beef of any kind, unless it's ground beef. always comes out like tasteless shoe leather... you won't get me near a BBQ either, it's a waste of meat :shrug:

trippincherri
February 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I am a master when it comes to roasts and steaks and anything like that, and even better at making gravy lol.

But put me anywhere near an angel food cake and it'll turn out horribly, and I too cannot bake shortbread cookies Lukka'sma, I dunno what it is but they are rock hard everytime or they taste weird!:shrug:

mummummum
February 26th, 2007, 12:23 AM
:sorry: :offtopic: roasts. beef of any kind, unless it's ground beef. always comes out like tasteless shoe leather... you won't get me near a BBQ either, it's a waste of meat :shrug:

I'm a vegetarian as you know but the one thing I can cook consistently well, no matter the variety, the cut etc. is MEAT. Well, back in the days when I was trying to impress mother-in-law #1 ( possibly the most horrid person ever to be on planet) my then common-law husband and I decided to invite her over for our first dinner in our first house. She being a Brit, I made a roast beast. Roast potatoes, carrots blah-blah-blah. The problem with our first house was that it was 150 yrs old, wood frame with a cracked foundation on sandy soil. In other words it tilted like a windmill in an earthquake.

Soon it came time to take the roast out of the oven. I was trying to keep my dog out of her way as she loathed dogs ("filthy animals, I can't imagine why anyone other than a farmer would keep one") and so kept her in the kitchen as it was the only door that closed reliabley. Roast out to rest on top of the stove , gravy made and I shut the door behind me. Unfortunately a gust of wind from one of the many ill-fitting windows caught the door and shut it quite hard. I then heard a thump, followed by a muffled shrffghffhghgshmarmgulle and thought I had best investigate ... casually.

Turning up the stereo slightly, I proceeded to the kitchen. With a lady-like flounce of my skirt to shield any possible view, I opened the door. Sure enough there was Tai scarfing down the roast beast with great gusto. What can you do but smile ?

I cut off the clearly gnawed portions, dusted off the rest and served the evil mother-in-law the best-roast-beast she had ever had !. :D

I'm not much of a baker. But, I also am not a big wowzer for sweets so it doesn't bother me all that much. I absolutely despise phyllo pastry and will never use it again. I'm not very good at rolling sushi and I don't make very good Chinese-style dumplings . Unfortunately, all the foods that I really like (Thai and Indian) take a long time to prepare from scratch. But I do love to cook!

technodoll
February 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM
OMG!! mum3, it's like i was there a fly on the wall :laughing: :laughing: the stuff great books are made of :D :thumbs up

uhh.... can *anyone* make soufflé? :o

SARAH
February 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=trippincherri;381345]I am a master when it comes to roasts and steaks and anything like that, and even better at making gravy lol.
QUOTE]

Wish I could make gravy from scratch! The white "Bechamel" and all its' derivatives I have NO problems with, but the brown gravies ... I always have to start with some commercial junk!

Otherwise it's cakes of any sort, they always fall flat, if they rise at all!

Puppyluv
February 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM

yup, but only in an oven I know well. The oven at our cabin works best, and I'm getting used to mine, but I tried making one at a friend's house and it was a disaster. The bigges thing is to get an oven thermometer. Do not trust the one built into your stove. Oh and once it's in the oven. leave it alone.

AliSam
February 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Pretty much anything. I cannot cook. All I can do is boil water. lol.

breeze
February 26th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have problems with everything that is why my husband cooks

yuk, food

cpietra16
February 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years and te one thing I can never get right is Tofu...I would like to cook it so that it is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside...i have tried everything possible and just can't get it right.:yell:

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM
:o It's hard for me to admit it, but it's roast beef... I always overcook it. And I don't know how to make it without beef broth to give it flavor...:o :sad: It sucks because I'm intolerant to the beef broth and I really like roast beast.:sad:

I make killer turkey though. :laughing:

RolandsMom
February 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM
omlettes!!!!! i have never ever been able to make one that doesnt turn into scrambled egg!!!!! :confused:

breeze
February 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
:o It's hard for me to admit it, but it's roast beef... I always overcook it. And I don't know how to make it without beef broth to give it flavor...:o :sad: It sucks because I'm intolerant to the beef broth and I really like roast beast.:sad:

I make killer turkey though. :laughing:

prin you can try margrine and dry mustard spread on both sides with shallots on top with salt and pepper to tast, that is what my hubby does.

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks Breeze! :) :highfive:

rainbow
February 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Cabbage rolls. :o

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Why would you want to make those? :laughing: :laughing:

technodoll
February 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM
oh n'other one... bread! which is why i really want a bread machine someday :p

trippincherri
February 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I usually just dice some onions and add a bit of beef OXO to the water in the roaster with my roast beef, then I put Montreal Steak Spice on every corner of the roast lol, I LOVE steak spice. Plus the spices and onions help give the gravy a nice flavor.

And Rolands mom, it sounds like your not letting your egg cook long enough before folding it into and omelette! I make omelette "pockets" here's how:

Try cracking your eggs, add a touch of milk then whip them up together.
Pour them into the pan at about medium heat (stoves will vary) then leave it sit until you can see the egdes starting to cook or look dry the top portion should also be starting to cook by now, then on half of your egg circle....place your ingredients...mushrooms, ham,cheese whatever you want then fold the empty half of the egg circle over onto the ingredient added half and using your spatula or a spoon press the edges down firmly so the seal. Now you have and omelette "pocket" that you can flip and cook to your desire and it'll taste awesome.

My brother actually taught me how to make these when I was little :o

erykah1310
February 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Jello:yell: :shrug:
Its not a dish, but for the life of me I can NOT make Jello .... it turns out to be ROCK hard on the bottom and pure liquid on the top:shrug:
Apparently something to do with electricity in my body or sumtin like that:shrug:
Same reason I cant wear a watch either... batteries die within a day

~michelle~
February 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM
prin makes good turkey???? my birthday is coming up and im making me a turkey so any hints ? i decided to have turkey dinner for my birthdday because i have to work on all the turkey holidays (christmas, thanksgiving, easter, whenever else you have big yummy meals)
i could never ever ever get tofu right!

Frenchy
February 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
What is the one dish you cannot make, no matter what?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anything that has more than 3 ingredients :laughing:

RolandsMom
February 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
thanks trippincherri. I am not ready to give up just yet but i have tried endlessly. i think maytbe i am not patient enough. oh Lukkas'ma, i have a fail proof shortbread recipe. (i say that knowing how hard it it and after muc failure) its my grans recipe. happy to sahre if you want!:) oh and just :offtopic: how about i start a thread where everyone puts up an easy recipe? maybe i will do that....

Byrd
February 26th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Well, so far everything I've tried to make has worked out fine. :shrug: :sorry:

technodoll
February 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM
byrd you're gonna have one happy husband! :D :cloud9:

breeze
February 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
all you guys sound like great cooks !!! http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/star/smiley_144.gif

Byrd
February 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
byrd you're gonna have one happy husband! :D :cloud9:

Um.... yeah :p

trippincherri
February 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM
How did my banana bread recipe turn out Byrd???

Byrd
February 26th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Haven't tried it yet. :o

i_have_too_many
February 26th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I hate to say it, but chocolate chip cookies. I have tried endless recipies but they all develop a funny tast after a day or two and start to crumble. They tast really good for the first day, then deteriorate, no matter where I keep them, even in the freezer :frustrated:

I can make a KILLER cheesecake though, and I love cheesecake, esp. chocolate :lovestruck:

technodoll
February 26th, 2007, 11:22 PM
anybody make good creme brûlée? so it doesn't come out a lumpy liquid mess? :o

http://blog.yam.com/spoon/11e45064.jpg

Kristin7
February 27th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I am pretty good at most things, but have a really hard time with biscotti. Seems like they end up too crumbly most of the time so I end up w/ a pile of crumbs and no biscotti. :sad:

joeysmama
February 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Italian love knot cookies.

I've asked two different peope who make great ones for their recipes and no matter what they come out tasting like a sugar cookie. They're supposed to be rather bland and a little dry. They're not a regular cookie but they always come out like a sugar cookie for me.

jessi76
February 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
the only thing I've tried to make recently that was a total flop was sweet potato chips. they either burned, or were still mushy, not "crisp" like a chip should be.

technodoll
February 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
jessi did you bake or fry them?... :dog:

jessi76
February 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM
bake, and used a bit of spray olive oil.

grand cherokee
February 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
hehehe nice to be a baker and a cook by trade....lmao
:sorry:

technodoll
February 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
bake, and used a bit of spray olive oil.

a-HAH! you need to soak the raw potato slices in cold water for a bit, then pat dry and gently fry in hot oil :cloud9:

Stacer
February 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Mine is roast too. No matter what cut or how I prepare it, it always comes our like rubber and very squeeky when I cut it. My gravy is always very tasty though, which covers up the rubbery roast. My mashed taters tend to be grainy as well, can never get them smooth. I suck at rice too.

~michelle~
February 27th, 2007, 10:05 PM
i see a few people have ahd prob with roast... try putting a tin foil tent over it for 10 mins after it comes out of the oven before cooking it... it will help the juices flow through and keep it from being so dry. also try lower heat and little longer and keep lid on while roasting, and add some water or broth to the bottom of the roasting pan and for whatever reason i find roasting some veggies (potatos,carrots and onions) with it always make it better

raingirl
February 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I don't think there is anything I can't cook. I've tried so many things...nothing has been bad.

Cakes, cookies, bread, pies, roasts, sauces, gravies.

I make homemade sourdough using yeast from the air. I have made real french croissants. Creme brule is my fav dessert, I even have my own torch!! souffle, gravies, all that is fine.

If any of you have ANY problems with baking, I HIGHLY suggest getting a book called "in the sweet kitchen" by Reagan Daily. She is a toronto chef and her book is a reference book for the most part with recipes at the back. It will tell you EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you need to know about baking (why you HAVE to cream butter - not margarine - and sugar together until it's fluffy and pale to get a good cake or cookie, etc etc). I read the book like a novel...page by page...it is like a baking BIBLE!

If any of you need fool proof recipes for anything, let me know. I have the best chocolate chip cookie recipes, the best shortbread recipes, the best banana bread recipe, bread recipes, everything!

Then again...i do wedding cakes as a side business...so I have to know this stuff.

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I can make pie crust but it just never comes out as flaky or as good as what my mom or grandmother made. It prob has something to do with the fact I am not much of a pie eater - tho I do like cheesecake, lol (No trouble making THAT!). Usually, if I HAVE to make pie for whatever reason, I buy those frozen crusts, lol That is my cop out there.

papillonmama
February 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I used to stink at making rice, but mostly that was an excuse so I wouldn't have to make it. hehe, but don't tell them that, 'cause I still avoid making it all the time.

Just naturally a good cook, the first time I made lasagna, my man was like, "you see, when you practice making it your lasagna comes out great." I told him, you know it's the first time I made lasagna right? He couldnt' believe it. Lasagna is so easy though.

I love baking, it's hard now because I have a tilted oven like, yours in the story mumx3. But baking was my first love, I was going to go to culinary school for their baking program, but couldn't swing it at the time. I've always lovedhow baking is like science. Everything has to be just so or your experiment goes awry.;)

jessi76
February 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
why is rice hard? I buy the kind that comes in a little baggie, you put it in a pot of boiling water for 10 min, take the baggie out, dump water, cut baggie open, and VIOLA! rice! Minute Rice, Success Rice, etc... they come in a variety of flavors too, and white and brown.

I've never known any other kind of rice. :confused:

papillonmama
February 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM
minute rice? no, that so expensive - for the amount of people in our family, that is... now I make jasmine rice, I have never used rice in a bag, lol, sorry, I have no point of reference. Wow, yeah, I just never heard of that before.

I don't really have trouble with rice now, I like making the jasmine rice because it already has so much starch that you really don't notice if it's a touch sticky. :laughing:

The other rice I used was white long grain. Can't stand making it. If I can peruse someone else to make it I will. Seriously, have never really considered making minute rice. But, I might next time.:D

jessi76
February 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
ahhh, my fam is small, always has been, so baggie rice was always the way to go.

actually the bag rice now comes in jasmine. I like the brown rice, and keep a few of the white around for Tucker (great quick rice for doggy tummy upset)

Skryker
February 28th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Wow! I didn't actually expect so many responses. :D

I'm a good cook, too-just can't make Banana bread. I'll gladly try your foolproof recipe, though. :fingerscr :laughing:

I don't know what the deal is with hubby and rice. I insisted that he use my Mom's steamer, told him there's no way he could mess it up that way, watched him measure everything so I know it was right-and it came out as hard as when it first went in. :confused: I've cooked that brand of rice in that steamer and never had a problem. Apparently, he has some sort of rice jinx. :p

Cinnabear
March 3rd, 2007, 02:44 AM
Some days my yorkshire puddings puff up nicely(10%), then other times they're pucks(90%). Banana bread is another one too.

Skryker
March 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
I'm good with Yorkshire pudding-most of the time it's nicely puffy, and even if it deflates, it's not too dense. If you can find a recipe for popovers, Cinnabear, they have a better success rate.

My Grandma V. always said the trick was to stir your yorkies batter with your left hand to make sure they came out right! :D Don't know why, but hers always puffed up, so maybe there's something to it!

dtbmnec
March 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Anything other than pasta and pasta sauce :o

Well for the most part anyway...

Megan

meb999
March 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM

I've tried a zillion times....it's the one thing in the world that, no matter how hard I try, no matter the recipes, I can never do it. I think I finally got it, and then they collapse.

I call them désoufflés :D

glasslass
March 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM
When you make the fool-proof banana bread, glaze it with this mixture. A ripe banana mashed and 1 c. sugar. Heat in a small saucepan until boiling. Just brush it over the banana bread when you take it out of the pan. It'll give it the best flavor and keep it moist.

Prin
March 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Oooo that sounds tasty!!! :cloud9: I've heard of doing that with lemon cake, but never thought about doing it with banana bread... Thanks for the idea, Glasslass! 23218

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I have the best banana bread recipe. It says that the nastier the banana the better and it tells you to mash the bejeezus out of the bananas. :laughing: You literally take everything, drop it in the mixer and let it go. If anyone wants it, let me know. Worked wonders for me this past Christmas when I made about 25 loaves of it.

(I have a good zucchini bread recipe too if anyone wants that.)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I am not good at making any kind of meat. I am scared of getting Ecoli, so I usually cook the heck out of it. I always look at the chicken and go - is it pink I see pink, better put it in the oven for another 30 minutes just to be sure. :D

I do make good spinach dip though. :D

Jesses mommy I would love your BB recipe. I have a simple one too thats not bad. My whole freezer is full of bananas.. but I havent gotten around to making any bread.

glasslass
March 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Prin, I love that wacky, dancing banana of yours!

Prin
March 5th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Prin, I love that wacky, dancing banana of yours!

hehe, I tried to find a fitting one.:D

JECM, I think it's time for you to get a meat thermometer... Out with the colors, in with the precision.:D

jesse's mommy, I'll have the naner bread recipe.:o Please? :)

jesse's mommy
March 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I'll type the banana bread recipe up tonight and get it over to everyone. I have to get to work now and am just checking in.

Does anyone want the zucchini bread too?