Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with planning trip!

erykah1310
February 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have mapquested my trip to Montreal, and... once I get there I have no idea where to go or what to do...
Im still not sure which part of montreal I will end up in ( have to wait to hear from my friend who lives there)
Thus far however it apparently is a 7 hr trip with no stops!?!?!
Any suggestions on motels ( not sure if im going to need them or not, but phone numbers would be great)
Any driving tips ??? Other than " NO RIGHT TURNS ON RED":eek: ( Im gonna mess that one up for sure)
Ummm??? any tips or pointers of any kind will be greatly appreciated.
Also, if Guy does indeed bail on me ( my french connection) how hard of a time will I have communicating there??? Are there lots of english speakers?

Skryker
February 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I can't help you with Montreal (shamefully, we haven't gone there since moving to Cornwall 7 years ago :o ), but I can tell you that if you're going through Ottawa, the 417 is nothing but highway pretty much between Ottawa and Montreal. There's a few little towns on the way. If you need to stop, Embrun is actually a ways away from the highway, but there are gas stations and Tim's, Wendy's, ect right off the highway in Casselman.

technodoll
February 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
erykah i've never met anyone who doesn't speak at least *some* English, LOL! specially if you stay downtown and in the west, it's all anglophone baby. the traffic signs are in french (PITA) but the lights are the same colors :D so you'll be fine.

what is your budget for a hotel, should you need one? i know of a few amazing ones in Old Montreal, I can get you a corporate rate

we'll have to drag you out for a poutine, yes? :p

Skryker
February 25th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Oh, yeah, I forgot to add-if you're taking the 401 from, say. Kingston on, you'll be going through Cornwall. If that's the case, PM me before you leave-you might need a break for a coffee by the time you come through! :thumbs up

erykah1310
February 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
My budget for the entire trip is $2000 ish. ( incluing shopping, gas, food the whole nine) Im not sure if im going to rent a car for the trip or not ( to save some mileage on mine :shrug: )
For motels?????? About $100 or so a night would be good. If there are any with a hot tub in the room...:cloud9: I'll take that one :laughing: Pet friendly one is a must.
Im all for a poutine!!! But i will end up sick:sick: but... maybe just maybe I can have one anyway:pray:
Here is where mapquest is sending me... http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&ct=NA&rsres=1&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=North+Bay&1s=On&1z=&2pn=&2a=&2c=Montreal&2s=Qc&2z=&r=f
Im gonna look into it all a bit better and see what my roadside assistance road trip planning sais too. I started the trip from North Bay since I know where im going from here to there, so add another 45 minutes to total travel time.

mummummum
February 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM
http://www.petfriendly.ca

Hope that helps ~ I know it's got me out of the odd jamb.

Personally, I have NEVER found mapquest useful within Toronto. It seems to map the longest most circuitous routes possible ~ places that it might take 20 minutes to reach are by mapquest twice or three times that long to reach by the route they suggest. It may be a big city thing.

And a seven hour stretch Erykah with ani-mules in tow ? Ya sure about that ?

erykah1310
February 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Im only taking 2 of the dogs with me. Puppy definatley can not sit that long, and Meik is much like me in city environments, but he gets super aggressive, I just get annoyed. :o
Kita has been on many o road trips in her few years and is wonderful in vehicles, Im not sure about Bailey, he likes coming for car rides as it is right now... but im not sure how he will be on a "long haul".:shrug:
I'll check out that link now... thanks!:thumbs up

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Well, I've made it from Pembroke to Montreal in 3 hours... So I think 7 hours is granny driving.:D

How long are you staying? When are you coming?

erykah1310
February 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Im taking the friday of the long weekend off work, and heading down then. Im leaving prolly Sunday evening.
I dont even know the dates yet :o but come summer ( or almost summer) I refer to everything by the holiday it is:D

erykah1310
February 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM
BUT.... it helps a great deal if i say what holiday it is now doesnt it??? :laughing:
May 2-4 long weekend.

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Oh, so it's just for a weekend?