Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How well do your pets know their name?

Dracko
February 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
My pets have always learned their name very quickly. Suppose it was important to me that they did, so I would use it all the time to train them.

If I call Ginkgo she is the only one that comes. If I call Mochie, she is the one that comes, etc... Often another one will shortly follow the one I called checking out if they are missing anything, but almost w/o fail if I call one of my cats the right one comes pretty quickly.

The 2 older cats I had for 17 & 18 years were littermates and if I said one of their names the right one would meow and come to me.

And, of course, Dracko (GSD) knows his name and responds well.

Just watching a dog training show on TV and this woman was struggling with her 2 dogs not responding to their names. She didn't think they knew them even. It wasn't so much that they were disobeying her.

So, do your pets know their names and do they respond to you when you call them?

mummummum
February 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Perfectly well, I would say (despite the fact that there are so many variations :rolleyes:).

The only one they don't know is the one I can't quite stammer out. You know, when you want their IMMEDIATE attention and instead of saying the right name (Bridie or Ceilie or Declan) you say Brrrrrceillllldecccl...untile you finally spit out BRIDIE !:D

That's the one they have trouble with... :rolleyes:

Frenchy
February 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Brrrrrceillllldecccl...untile you finally spit out BRIDIE !:D

That's the one they have trouble with... :rolleyes:

I so can relate ! Or with fosters, come here....ahh....ummmm.....ah yes , come here "put name here" ! :D

Byrd
February 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yup, she knows it perfectly well, including all her nicknames... Wills, Will-o-wisp, Gorgeous, Beauty Queen, Baby Girl, etc. I swear she has about 10 names and knows them all.

Prin
February 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
lol the only time I stumble is when Jemma is bad. Boo is the "bad" one so his name just rolls off the tongue.

My dogs know their names well and they know each other's names too. Like if I say "This cookie is for Boo" and throw it at Jemma, she won't touch it. It was important for me that they know who we're talking to because Boo is so bad sometimes and Jemma used to get upset with all the yelling because she thought it was for her... Now she doesn't care unless you say, "Jemma!!! What did you do?!!?!" So the name always comes first and then whatever it is.

SARAH
February 25th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Dani knows her name VERY well, does she come when called? Well, that was luckily not the question :)

Misti is fully aware of who Misti, Misti-bisou and Misti-puce is, I'm just waiting for her to get old enough to think to answer when I ask her where she is. Spoutnik used to answer "Mrroouu" when I asked where he was, even if he didn't come to me, he knew I woould stop worrying about his whereabouts.

Sheba? Call any name you want, she's there! Especially if we call "Dani", because she is certain that there's a treat she's being left out of! (Well, you never know, right?). She has an identity crisis that one. Could be from her abandon, SPCA, foster, new names all along; but sometimes it gets a bit too much - I mean if Lewis and I call eachother (humans) Sheba comes running!

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Logan and Chase know their names well and also each others. If I want them both to come I just say "boys" and they both come.

The cats (Jasmine and Sigmund or Ziggy for short) know their names as well and come when called.

Hunter's_owner
February 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hunter and Cassie know their names really well. Hunter will almost always pay attention when he hears his name, but Cassie is hit or miss. If she is doing something and don't want to be disturbed, she will conveniently not hear you. It is the beagle trait:rolleyes:

brandynva
February 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Roscoe and Mileva know their names really well too. If I am only talking to one, the other won't respond unless I say their name first. Unless you say the word "cookie." Then they both come running!

Otis knows his name. Whether he chooses to respond is up to him. He usually will, but if he is hiding he won't come. :cat: I love a cat's independence. :cloud9:

joeysmama
February 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cooper knows his name and our names too. If I say "Where's Katie?" he goes into the hallway and looks at the door of the bathroom and her bedroom door. If I say "Where's Tommy?" he runs to the garage door or the pantry door.

And he knows his nicknames too. Cooper Duper, Coupe de ville, Coop doggie dog, etc. Before we had decided on a name for him we were calling him "the puppy" and then we realized that he already knew that we were referring to him when we said it. He started looking at us every time we said puppy.

He also knows the names of a couple of his toys. He has a stuffed duck that quacks and one day my husband made a quacking sound (I can't remember why:o ) and Cooper ran for his "quack quack". And my cousin brought him a stuffie from Disney World in the shape of a mickey mouse head and if I say "Where's your new Mickey?" he looks all over til he finds it.

Peepmouse
February 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
My dogs know all their names. Usually the actual names are only used when they've done something naughty, and they'll pretend they didn't hear me!:laughing: Pepper comes mostly to Peep(s), Pepsi, BooBoo, Pooh, while Cinder comes to Binder, Binky, Binky-Boo, Binko, Cinder-Binder, Binks, etc....:lovestruck: :dog: :lovestruck:

trippincherri
February 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
All 3 of my cats respond well to their names, and both the dogs too.
They too also know our names,well mom and dad lol.
If I say "Shelby wheres your dad?" she immediatley will run and find him, and vice versa. Shamus being only 8 months old knows his name well and is starting to get the mom and dad part too.

Shelby is very smart and knows how to spell :p , we learned that when she was little if you even so much as whispered outside, or car ride she was frantic! Running around barking and this does not let up until you actually go out with her or take her for a car ride, so we started spelling everything to one another and she learnt the words anyway, so now if we say to one another "should we take the dogs for a c-a-r r-i-d-e?" she is up in a flash and poking her head at her leash :rolleyes: , which thus alerts Shamus that somethings going on and then theres a ruckus of excitement.

I just don't get why some people think animals are stupid, my dogs are smarter then some people I know!!

Frenchy
February 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Coop doggie dog,

:laughing:

erykah1310
February 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Meiko knows his name great, if we use his full name (Meiko) he thinks he's in trubble so he drops :shrug: but if we just say Meik he's fine and comes running ( I have no idea why he does this?)

Kita well she knows the name Kita more than Nikita. My dad calls her Nikki and she always comes for him... for us, only if we call her Kita

Puppy... he is selectivly deaf I think, he is an over sized cat, comes when he feels like it.

Bailey.... :shrug: I dont even think he knows thats his name at all

As for all the cats, only Floyd knows his name

Dracko
February 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Dracko knows the words "ball" and "walk" so well, we have to spell them or he goes nuts like your's, trippincherri.

bekka_1
February 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
My cats all know their name if i call Dawn he comes but Dusk and Mitsy just turn their head when they hear their name and Jersey knows her name amazingly well, she knows most of her nicknames too.

Dogastrophe
February 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Jack and Lucy both know their names well (and all variations of their names: goose, goosie, jacky, meathead, etc). Gracie is slowly learning her (new)name.

breeze
February 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM
nakita knows her name well along with other words like brush she will run away cookie she will always come for that one. bree on the other hand knows her name but will she come when called your guess is as good as mine "selective hearing" she will always look up from whatever she is doing except eating to intence for that one.