Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bitter apple

technodoll
February 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
so i bought a bottle today, thought "this will discourage maika from tasting our furniture"... hubby sprayed some on his fingers, to test the dog's reactions to the stinky stuff... and they both LOVED IT! :eek: WTF? they licked it all off, then licked the spray nozzle of the bottle, happy wagging tails! :yell:

please tell me it tastes nasty on furniture? if that doesn't work, what else can i use that won't damage wood and wicker? :confused:

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Maybe your man just has tasty fingers and then they taste the bitter apple with a bit of him and acquire the taste for the bitter apple.:D

technodoll
February 24th, 2007, 11:43 PM
man, i dunno... i sprayed the wicker basket maika's been nibbling at the past two nights (she thinks i don't notice :D ), let's see what happens!

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Wicker = dog candy

My stepmother loves her wicker but it's all inconspicuously chewed.:D

technodoll
February 24th, 2007, 11:53 PM
:sad: but i love my wicker baskets, great for all those loose CDs! oh well... i'll have to get square metal buckets! :o

~michelle~
February 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
someone told me stuff with mustard seed was better than bitter apple maybe give thata try?

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I've never had luck with the bitter apple stuff either. The only thing that ever worked for me was the constant "No....leave it" :D

OntarioGreys
February 25th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Works for some dogs and others seem to like the taste, fortunately worked for Maya my beaver

Scott_B
February 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Rosco hated it as a pup, but doesnt mind it now lol.

coppperbelle
February 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Chloe hated it when I was spraying it around the house but I left the bottle out on a table one day figuring it would be safe, WRONG, she ate it.

jesse's mommy
February 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Jesse loves the bitter apple. :frustrated:

Skryker
February 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I dunno. We tried bitter apple, bitter orange, another stuff that was supposed to stop them nibbling, vinegar, hot sauce...they didn't mind all the bitter stuff and putting hot sauce on the wall they used to chew seemed to just add flavouring. :frustrated: If anything, they chewed the wall more with the hot sauce added-after they licked all the hot sauce off. :D

technodoll
February 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM
i guess the only thing i CAN do, besides crating her during the day when we're at work, is to replace anything wicker with metal, and pray she doesn't get a taste for our wood furniture... can't afford to replace dining-room sets ya know? :frustrated:

TeriM
February 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
They say to actually spray a shot of it into the dogs mouth. I personally have never done that (thought it was mean :frustrated: ) but both my dogs don't like the stuff. But if you are desperate then you could try it.

Prin
February 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM
i guess the only thing i CAN do, besides crating her during the day when we're at work, is to replace anything wicker with metal, and pray she doesn't get a taste for our wood furniture... can't afford to replace dining-room sets ya know? :frustrated:

lol If you don't want her to go after the furniture, leave the wicker decoys out. :laughing:

rainbow
February 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
lol If you don't want her to go after the furniture, leave the wicker decoys out. :laughing:

HA HA.....good one, Prin. :laughing: :D

H.P.
February 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
It didn't work at first with Sydney, she would lick it off my fingers. But after I put a drop of it straight on her tongue it worked great. (I put a drop on my tongue first, it didn't burn or anything, so you don't need to do that, but YUCK :yuck: ) Now if she is chewing on something and sees me get the bottle, she will leave it alone (she doesn't know that the bottle is empty:laughing: ).

dustybird
February 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Bitter apple and bitter lime, hot sauce, spicy stuff never worked for my parents dog either, he loved them all. He outgrew his chewing though.

Anyway when I worked at the clinic we used a spray called variton for dogs and cats that would chew their bandages or IV lines. It seemed to work, you could see if it is something your vet will give you a little sample of to try, spray it on stuff like bitter apple. I don't really know what it is but that all three places I worked at used it for the same thing. It also came in a cream for dogs and cats that wouldn't leave their stitches alone.

angeldogs
February 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
i was told to use mint.i'm glad i haven't tried the bitter apple.

trippincherri
February 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
When Shelby was a puppy we tried a mint spray I bought at a store and it never worked.
And I used the bitter apple to try and train our dwarf rabbit not to chew her cage and she didn't mind the taste either. :laughing: so I don't think it works as good as people say. Every pet has different taste buds.

technodoll
February 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
mint... many times when i'm brushing my teeth maika visits me in the bathroom and it's party-time when i let her lick the toothpaste froth off my lips! it's like she can't get enough, the little witch loves it! LOL! :D (i know it's not good for dogs so it's only a tiny bit, and not too often).

coppperbelle
February 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM
:laughing: lol If you don't want her to go after the furniture, leave the wicker decoys out. :laughing::laughing:

That was funny but true. If she chewing the small stuff she may go on to bigger and better chew toys. Crating her again may be a good idea. You may only have to do it for a few weeks and then try again.

technodoll
February 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
yeah we'll try again in a few weeks to see what happens... she's still a baby at 16 months old, i'm sure she'll grow out of her chewing habit. :angel:

mummummum
February 26th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Strangely enough, bitter appel worked well on the wood furinture (or maybe it was the screeching "NOOOOooooooo!" given their antique value :rolleyes) but it never cured her of grabbing and biting the mesh leash and nor did XX hot sauce.

I think given Akita temperments, you and your SO will learn to say "Leave It" in your sepp !:D