Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tinkle Bells?

lt_danish
February 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
My 5 month old puppy, Brighton is house trained. She knows to go to either the front door or the balcony door to be let outside to do her elimination fuctions. We have had no accidents with her in a long time. The problem is that she will just sit quietly by the door and doesn't do anything to get my attention.
I saw an ad somewhere for something called 'tinkle bells' and I read this is how some service dogs are trained. They are bells on some sort of cord that go on door handles that the dog can ring to let their humans know they need to go outside. I am thinking this might be a good option of me, as Brighton always has access to walk to both doors and I will be able to hear her at either door. Can I make something like this myself? Has anyone else used something similar?
I was thinking maybe using cans, but the noise may be too loud for my quiet neighbour.

Goldens4Ever
February 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Great idea. I have also heard of people doing this. What I thought of is buying one of those service bells that you ring at an office to get someone's attention (it's round & has a little round thing that you press down with your palm) & affix it to the wall & the dog's nose level. Then, teach the dog to press it with his/her nose to go outside.

We trained our two to bark/whine at the door, so we can hear them wherever we are in the house. Now they bark/whine whenever they want something (inside a room, outside a room, their food, a toy, etc.). It's their way of communicating their needs with us in many different situations, not just to go outside. :)

OntarioGreys
February 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I use to have a cow bell attached to a string tied to the door knob, I haven;t needed in a while as my currrent crew will run back and forth if they need to go out and if that does not my attention then they bark at me

Goldens4Ever
February 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
.....if they need to go out and if that does not my attention then they bark at me

I love it when my two bark at me to tell me what they want! :love:

jayner
February 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I've had a similar problem and have been trying the bell method as well. I just have a bell from a Christmas decoration hanging from the doorknob from a ribbon. We're still working on it, but my pup has now associated ringing the bell with going out for a pee. Once I'm getting ready to take her out she will ring it so that I will open the door, but I'm also trying to get her to ring it to get me to get ready. She's slowly figuring it out... when I know she's about due I will keep an eye on her, preventing her from having an accident and drop hints for her to ring the bell. I'll keep you posted as to the progress, but I'm confident that she'll learn.

Melinda
February 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I bought the ribbon with 2 sets of bells on it purposely made for dogs, she already knew the "touch" command, and with in 24 hours she was pawing or nosing the bells to go out, we have two set of doors for her to go out so I set up a battery doorbell, her height to ring when she wants in, works great!

4leggedfriends
February 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I use the bells beacuse I am slightly hearing impaired and I don't hear scratching on the door and I find they work great as long as I keep a spare in my car for when we are visiting because I have forgotten them at home or worse, where I was visiting and had to go get new ones.

Cram
February 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Here are the bells I made for my little guy to ring:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/candice_jackel/bells.jpg

They are just large craft bells sewn onto a ribbon with a loop at the top. They cost about $6 and they're amazing :)

lt_danish
February 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Cram, thanks for posting a picture. Now I have a better idea of what I am in search of when I go to buy the supplies to make these. I think they will work out great.

H.P.
February 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Goldens4ever said "it's round & has a little round thing that you press down with your palm) & affix it to the wall & the dog's nose level"

If you use one of these, make sure to attach it to something, Sydney decided it was more fun to run around the house shaking it. Now I use a small golden cow bell from the craft store, tied to the doorknob with a ribbon. She just sticks her nose in and wiggles it around, it is not very loud, (unless I am not fast enough, then she gets a little more persistent).

mafiaprincess
March 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I simply have a parrot bell hanging from the back door knob. Cheap and easy.