Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think this is the right board for this... I am bringing home a new dog

janeto
February 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM
looking for advice on how to help prepare my other animals that are here with me? should i keep my cats away in a room till the new dog is a little settled? should i introduce my cats one by one or all together? should i bring my boo boo with me when i go to pick up the new dog?

i know to keep the attention more so on my older animals so they do not feel left out. any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance(tia) janet

~michelle~
February 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
keep the animals away from eachother for the first little bit and then slowly introduce things in to the enviroment which your holding the cats ( ie a bedroom) with something that smells of the new dog. introduce them slowly dont leave them alone together for a while.
youll get the feel of your pets and that will set the pace for how you introduce them. i have cats and dogs and theres never been a problem but my cat will stand his ground and not run away so he doesnt instigate the chase instinct

janeto
February 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
thank you so much. i hope it will work out ! i hate when i hear dogs having to back because of getting along issues. i would never do that. i would find a home before i brought her back. any other tips for me! again TIA!

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I would definitely bring your dog with you. They should meet before they live together. Some dogs just don't get along, and you might get some insight into how they'll be together from when they first meet...:o

Good luck! :)

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM
10 to 1 your cats will stand up to your new addition, and as mentioned previously, dont leave them alone. If your new dogs chases the cats, stop him immediately, but reward him for any good behaviour;)
Good luck, Im sure things will be fine:fingerscr

janeto
February 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
I would definitely bring your dog with you. They should meet before they live together. Some dogs just don't get along, and you might get some insight into how they'll be together from when they first meet...:o

Good luck! :)

they did meet today for about 30 to 40 min. and where fine. my little guy was really not interested and could careless. the new puppis was just smelling him and that was about it. what i ment should i bring him with me on tuesday when i go to pick up my new little girl or should i leave him at home? thanks again! janet

Catzig
February 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I'd leave him at home. Picking up a new animal can be adventure enough without the extra diversion of another pet ... you want to give your new furkid your calm, undivided attention as they are leaving their familiar place.

When you do get home, don't forget the heirarchy of the pack. If you have another dog, in their home territory they may want to establish that they were there first. Sometimes it's never an issue, but sometimes it's the reason pets are sent right back to where they came from.

Good luck!