Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bug zapping dogs at the park

lt_danish
February 24th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I have not personally come across this owner and dog at the dog park. But I have heard of them and read them post about their actions elsewhere. Their dog is a smaller size dog and is deaf and apparently has had some issues with dog 'attacking' their dog. Its hard to say what this attacking consists of without seeing it first hand. But it sounds like any dog that is larger and approaches this smaller dog is deemed 'out of control'. It may be very true that someone didn't have control over their dog in this off leash area and a large dog showed some aggressive signs. Again, its hard to know for sure.
This person has taken it upon themselves to have a negative attitude towards all dogs, going to far as to list breeds they think would be put in the pound and detroyed (huskys, wolves?, dobermans, rottis, pitbulls...). They just don't destroy dogs based on their breeds here in Victoria.
This said dog loving owner has apparently now purchased a bug zapper racket. It looks like a small tenis racket, I have seen them because a friend owns one. They now will zap other dogs noses that come near this owner and their dog. Now maybe its just me, but if someone was to zap my dog I would be mighty upset.
What grounds does someone have to do this in an off leash public dog park? I know he is concerned for the saftey of his dog and I agree dogs that aren't well behaved should be kept on leash... but I see dags sniffing and greeting each other all the time down there.

OntarioGreys
February 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
It is quite possible his dog's personality and disabilities make it poorly suited for a dog park setting.

For example my Maya is an omega personality, her peronality makes for an open invitation for other dogs to pick on her, it is not that they are bad dogs, they are following instinct which is to take out frustrations on the weakest members of the pack, and to test themselves for dominance, dogs have their own set of rules for behaviour and it is different than out own, it is no different if you visit a turkey or chicken farm their are certain animals that the other will pick on and bully, as a result I will not take her to places where large numbers of dogs are offleash. When my alpha girl Callie became disabled and had cancer I took special care to seperate her when I was not home to supervise, to enure none of the others where going to possibly make an attempt to usurp her by challenging her to a fight while she wuld have troubles defending herself.

His dogs deafness may be the reason why other dogs are bully him , if the owner was smart he would just not use the offleash dog parks, it would be more enjoyable for his dog to take an onleash walk than have to be surrounded by dogs that want to challenge him

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Honestly,if this dog-owner resorts to this kind of behaviour,he should keep himself and his dog out of the dogpark,IMO:dog:

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
If a person can't handle dogs around his dog, he shouldn't be at the DOG park.:rolleyes:

coppperbelle
February 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
:mad: If he bug zapped either of my dogs he would be wearing that racket around his neck. I can't imagine the logic of some people sometimes.

lt_danish
February 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah. I can get kind of mouthy with people sometimes so I am worried about running into this person myself. Would the local SPCA or police do anything with this individual if they were called to the scene?

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 04:45 PM
It takes them a lonnnnng time to respond to a dog park call though (in my experience).. Might be good to call ahead and ask if there's anything you can do..

Spirit
February 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
If anyone even attempted to zap my dog with one of those things, I think I would probably lose my mind. It would take everything in me not to rip it out of her hands and start zapping them with it.

It's likely that the owner has seriously screwed up this poor dog too by protecting it and not allowing other dogs to get near it. :(

I'd pass the information around so people know what's going on in hopes that this person will eventually get banned from this park.

Man... some people!

mindis12
February 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I have never been to a dog park actually have not even seen one in my area. No matter had anyone out of contex zapped my dog they would be greeted with me. I am not a very nice person when you injure dogs or people for no reason. Now if the dog attacked out of contex that would be a totally differant situation all together

rainbow
February 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM
That guy and his dog should not be at a dog park. I would try getting him banned. :fingerscr

mummummum
February 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Might be worthwhile to carry a camera just in case you do come across this fellow so you have proof of his tactics. I agree with the suggestion to call the by-law office or Parks and Rec or the SPCA (whoever has appropriate jurisdiction) to ask for advice. And I would certainly "spread it about" as a warning to other responsible owners to be on the look out for this fellow.

lt_danish
February 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
mummummum: I had never though about carrying a camera for that reason. I almost always have it with me. I guess I will continue with that just in case. And call around to the city and such next week and see what they suggest.

LM1313
February 24th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Why . . . why does he take his dog to the dog park if he doesn't want it to interact with other dogs? :confused:

I'm so confused. I think if this guy is so paranoid / picky about what dogs interact with his dog, he should just stay home and invite a few dogs he approves of over on a playdate in his backyard. If there ARE any he approves of, that is.

Dracko
February 24th, 2007, 10:29 PM
This guy obviously has no concept of what a DOG PARK is. If you don't want your dog to socialize with other dogs, esp in a situation you might not be able to control totally, you don't go to a dog park. Seems fairly simple to me.

athenamor
February 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM
(my two cents)

Wow, what nerve. I know how my dog is around other dogs, I worry about his saftey as well as the saftey as others. If my dog is of threat or is threatened repeatedly I would take him out of the situation, not zap other people's pups. That's cruel, it's a bug zapper, not a dog training device. (and not his dog to "train" might I add)

OntarioGreys posted this article on another thread I posted about introducing Bourbon to other dogs. It explains dog behavior when it comes to personal space.
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

I dont know if it helps but it is a very informative read.

And the "bad breeds" thing, ugh, I have read that there are bad breeders who inbreed alot and bad qualities get past down, but it's not all dogs of that breed, aggressiveness can be enviromental, product of bad breeding, or mental illness; I've been attacked by an american eskimo with a brain tumor when I was a kid several times before the tumor was discovered., but I dont feel that all dogs of that breed should be destroyed. Heck, most of American Eskimos I've met have been loving and sweet, just had a problem with the one. How can someone say all Huskies, Rotties, etc... are bad breeds?