Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 kittens instead of 1...any difference?

heather17021977
February 24th, 2007, 08:20 AM
A newbie here,

We are getting a kitten in the next week or so and we have thought about getting 2 since we'll be at work all day. Is too anymore work than one and what about the daily costs? I plan on feeding canned and dry felidae. Is this food expensive?

Any input is most welcome!

Heather

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Heather,I feel 2 kittens is always better than one,they'll keep each other company and be a lot of fun to watch and play with.
I have 3 cats and probably would never have just one.
The costs with 2 kittens,of course doubles spay/neuter,shots etc..but food is not a huge cost,I feed canned and good quality dry.
Of course with pets there will always be exspences,but they give it back in love and purrs ten-fold:cat:

heather17021977
February 24th, 2007, 08:43 AM
I'm getting them from a shelter called Bide Awhile here locally. They have 2 vaccinations, 3 de-worming, and spay/neutering before they leave. I believe they are 10-12 weeks old as well. They will be indoor cats too.

How much food does a kitten/cat typically eat in the run of a day? 1 can, 2 cans?

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Heather,I have actually forgotten how much each kitten ate,but my grown cats(5,9 and 10yrs old)share one can(small)in the morning and one at night+dry food available 24/7 and always fresh cool water.
Kittens probably need to eat more often in smaller portions,the shelter should be able to give you more info.
It's great they will already be s/n and have their first shots,but you will still have to take them to a vet for a check-up,follow-up on worms etc..
Since they are going to be indoor cats,yearly vaccines are not really needed,but that is my opinion only,my cats get yearly vaccines,they go outside supervised,except rabies they get only every 2 years,should be every 3yrs but I am working on my vet for that.
Good Luck! When you get them,we would love to see some pics:cat:

Kristin7
February 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I would get two as well. They will grow up together and probably have a better chance of being friends than if you were to wait and get another one later. They will play together and keep each other company. Many cats will get lonely if they are alone all day.

I am not sure about how many cans of food. If you are also feeding dry, probably not more than one. It also depends on what size you are talking about... My adult cats are eating Felidae kibble. They each get about a half cup of it per day, one of them eats less than the other though. I am not sure what this amounts to in cost, but the bag seems to last a good while. Sounds like they already have some shots etc so that will help with vet costs. I have 2 cats and they don't seem much more trouble than one. They are adults so the vet costs are only for their annual visits usually (unless they get sick or something which is rare). I would have more cats but the 2 I have don't really get along. :cat: :cat:

Stacer
February 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I adopted 2 cats at the same time and would never have less than 2 cats in my home. They keep each other company while we're at work and they've provided us with hours of entertainment with their antics. Feeding them doesn't break the bank. We feed a good quality dry food and supplement that with 1/4 of a 3 oz can of cat food each a day. If you're going to feed only wet then it will be a bit more expensive. I'm not sure how many cans a day they will eat as I mainly feed dry kibble to mine. Between my two, they generally eat about 1/3 of a cup of dry kibble per day, in addition to the wet food I give them.

I hope you decide to get 2 cats, it's tons more fun and you'd be saving 2 lives. Good luck.

Boo Boo
February 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I would agree on two, they keep each other company and will be fun to watch them play as kittens. Ohhh how I miss the kitten days!!!!

Scott_B
February 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Congrats on the kitties Heather. Bide a while is an excellent shelter. My male cat Duke came from that shelter.

Can I suggest either innova Evo cat food or Felidae. Both are excellent foods. :thumbs up I can let you know where to purchase the food if your not sure.

LM1313
February 24th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Two kittens are much easier than one, IMO. They play with each other and that keeps them out of trouble . . . well, out of MOST trouble! :laughing: Also, kittens will readily accept another kitten, even from another litter. It's so much harder introducing adult cats to each other.

Here are my boys as kittens:

Kristin7
February 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
aawwww! so cute, it makes me want to go out and get a couple kittens!! :cloud9:

chico2
February 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
LM1313,OMG..they are so cute,wish I could have a couple:cat:

rainbow
February 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I agree with the others....two kitties are definitely better than one. I've always had at least two and wouldn't have it any other way. :cloud9:

Cute kitties LM1313 :lovestruck:

heyjude11
February 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Definitely go for two!!

trippincherri
February 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Well all my cats were taken in within months of each other, so we had 3 kittens at once.
It is a good idea to get more then one at once, they not only keep each other company but they will start to bond at a young age in the end becoming best friends.
They will be trouble :evil: as kittens can be quite devilish but hold strong through the rough patches with them ;) they will reward you in more ways then you could imagine.

heather17021977
February 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
What about combinations...2 males, 2 females, 1 of each? Does it really matter since they will the same age and coming home at the same time??

Dogastrophe
February 26th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'm getting them from a shelter called Bide Awhile here locally. They have 2 vaccinations, 3 de-worming, and spay/neutering before they leave. I believe they are 10-12 weeks old as well. They will be indoor cats too.

How much food does a kitten/cat typically eat in the run of a day? 1 can, 2 cans?

Yay! Love Bide Awhile ... that's where we got Lucy from. If you ask, Darrold will give you a small bag of the food that the kittens are presently eating so you can slowly introduce the new food without the upset stomach,

A 6lb bag of dry Felidae costs about $16 to $20, depending on which shop in town you buy from. Based on one month of experience with Gracie, a 6 lb bag should last her about 7 to 8 weeks +/-.

Please do not look solely at cost when determining which food to feed. A less expensive food, while often full of fillers and other junk, will require you to feed more food. In the end, over the same timespan the cheaper foods (per bag) will equal, or sometimes exceed, the cost of a premium food.

heather17021977
February 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
No i know, I plan on feeding Felidae dry...

Dogastrophe
February 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
We've found that Canadie is less expensive at one store (cough cough Global cough) and Felidae is less expensive at another (cough cough Best Friends) by about $4 per 6lb

heather17021977
February 26th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Best Friends told me is was $14.99 for 6lbs bag and 31.99 for 16lbs bag...sound right to you?

Best Friends is a fantastic shop!

Dogastrophe
February 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
yep and 19.99 at global. However, there is more of a kitty treat selection at Global. We often jump between the two to fill out our four legged needs.

chico2
February 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Heather,I never really had a choice in gender of my cats,I only ever had one little female,the rest were all males.
Often IMO,males are a bit more affectionate,more needy,but I only had experience with one female.
As with people cats have different personalities.
I have 3 males and my 3 cats before these were male,then I had little Cookie many years ago and she really only bonded with my son,who rescued her.
Often if you have males and a female,she will rule the roost,as she should be:laughing:

CyberKitten
February 28th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Get two, absolutely!!! They will develop better, have better social skills - granted cats are pretty social anyway, lol - and really, it is hardly mnot that much more to pay to care for two kittens than one.

Granted, it is addicting and now I have four, :laughing:

Seriously, congrats on your new arrivals!!

As for gendcer, my little Siamese female is the most affectionate so while I have done no sudy, that is my experience. Anyone know of a study? I have 3 females, one male (poor guy is outnumbered but he is doing OK, lol) They are all affectionate and loving but my little female meezer (I have 2 Siamese, 2 Sphynx)
has the most endearing habits. I love all of them equally but she has special little touches (they all do actually but she will put her paw up to my face in the morning, it is like our greeting for the day, our first kiss if you will. Then I cuddle her - and the others -they all sleep with us me and my bf when he is over.) Poor guy has no chance but to love cats. If he did not, he would not get i n the door, lol

I honestly don't think there is much difference between genders and many reputable breeders and Rescue workers will tell you that. Males can be little flirts too, lol

Enjoy them - esp with two, their antics will entertain you and them for ours!! But you still should engage them in play to make sure they have lots of stimulation.

shenjall
March 6th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Yes, 2! Absolutely 2!

I dont think gender really makes a difference at that age. They're still wee-uns, they'll bond quickly. I'm sure there can be some difficulties with gender when adding another later on, but then, theres no *perfect* gender matching, just pros/cons to each, kwim?

heather17021977
March 6th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I havent gotten our kitties yet :( There really arent too many around here at least not 12 weeks or younger. I'm being picky I want them not to be skittish.

shenjall
March 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Not sure how common this is, but my Owen was soooo skittish and Bigs was the big cuddle up purring monster when we got them as kitties. Now, guess who I cant get out of my lap and who I cant get into my lap. :)

Good luck with your search!

cpietra16
March 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I can't say anything that hasn't been said...I agree with everything...start with 2 cats and work your way up....:D :thumbs up
We should warn you...this site seems to have powers beyond...we all just want 2 kitties, 2 doggies...and then WHAM...you've got 3, 4 5 kitties that you're fostering, just because....:love: :angel:

clm
March 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm another firm believer in 2 is better than one and like so many others here, 2 has turned to 4 cats and soon to have 2 puppies too.
2 kittens will keep each other company and provide endless play time together.

Cindy