Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Make your rescue dog a "Star".Story and pics here! actually make it ANY rescue animal

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
ok, we have the "puppy pix" thread, and it has been mentioned several times that rescue dogs should be posted their too... Yes I agree, they were "puppies" so to speak, when they entered homes. BUT still we have no rescue dogs on that thread!

So, lets see all the dogs who have come into good fortune and found loving homes.

It would be good if you could tell your dogs story too... the more we know, the more we can really looooooove the pic.
AND... good on you if you have taken a dog into your family and into your heart!:thumbs up

PS... and since we all love animals... lets make it a "rescue animal" thread... any animals story is welcome!

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I think everyone know my dogs :p Daisy :rip: was left at the spca at age 8 because she was too old to produce puppies anymore.Died of cancer only 1 year 1/2 after I adopted her. Still miss her like crazy. She was my girl.

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Bailey ; drove 2 hours to get to a shelter where I picked him up, was about 5-6 years old, probably dumped by the side of the road in the country side. He is now 8-9 yr old.

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Frenchy, Daisy was a beautiful looking dog. Im guessing a long haired golden retriever??? I know what its like to "still miss like" crazy "our girls"!.:rip:

Quins-mum
February 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM
Bailey is a very handsome boy. It makes me sick to hear that ppl dump animals. BUT im guessin that its turned out to be a godsend to Bailey!

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Sam ; got a call a friday morning about a golden up for euthanasia at 2:00 that same day. Picked him up to foster him, adopted him after 3 months. He was 8 yr old, he is now 10. He's my shadow and Bailey's best friend.

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Boo was from the SPCA. They thought he was fully grown and over a year old, but he was really only around 6 months and grew more than a foot taller. He had open sores and very wavy ribs when we got him (and a baaaaaad case of kennel cough!).

Jemma went through 4 other people before hitting us. She spent her 3rd month on this planet in a cage at a vet, and 5 months of her puppy life ALONE in an apartment, being let out twice a day onto the BALCONY! :eek: :sad:

Now, they're both spoiled ROTTEN and I love them to death.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Jan%20Feb%202007/IMG_4587.jpg

And from today (oh so cooperative!):
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Jan%20Feb%202007/IMG_4633.jpg

Prin
February 23rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Frenchy, I had only heard Daisy's story. Bailey and Sam had it tough too. :sad: :sad: :grouphug:

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Let's not forget Monsieur le chat ! Who was up for adoption here on pets.ca,rescued by Badger, he was a street cat (not feral cuz very affectionate) he's about 3 years old. Best cat ever, gosh, I will stop now :laughing:

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Frenchy, I had only heard Daisy's story. Bailey and Sam had it tough too. :sad: :sad: :grouphug:

I know Sam was well treated (except for being overfed, my jaw dropped when I picked him up, never had such an obese foster :sad: ) but I think Bailey was abused. Not long after I got him I got mad at my fridge (broke down when it was 35*C) and I raised my voice ....at the fridge,not at Bailey but Bailey was crawling on the floor. I never raised my voice again around him. And he is now ok :thumbs up

Frenchy
February 23rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
and 5 months of her puppy life ALONE in an apartment, being let out twice a day onto the BALCONY! :eek: :sad:

:sad: Poor Jemma, but look at her now ! :cloud9:

luckypenny
February 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Peanut, our first dog. We adopted him at 14 years when my father-in-law passed away. He took Peanut from a woman who had neglected him 6 years earlier. He used to chase this huge Rottie through the park. Peanut died at 16 in Jan., 06.

luckypenny
February 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM
The 1st photo is of Lucky after we had him about 3 weeks. This is how he used to greet me when I came home from work. I just wrote out his story on another thread http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=379778#post379778 . He was found tied to a lamp post.

The second photo is of how Lucky and Penny greet me when I come home now.

Penny was found wandering the country roads and no one had claimed her. She was at the shelter for two months before we adopted her. I was there when she arrived and fell instantly in love with her. We all thought that she would be easily adopted but that wasn't the case. Someone did after a month but changed their mind within a week. She was a typical Lab puppy, always moving and jumping up on people. On Christmas Eve, I got a call from the shelter asking when I was going to pick her up :) . Woo hoo, I jumped in the car right away to get her. Surprisingly, she's extremely calm in the house and has never put anything other than her toys in her mouth. My best Christmas ever!

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I guess the moral of the story to rescue dogs is.. that there is ppl who will pay hundreds of $$ for a pure breed... but in the end, they all give the same amount of love...

Peepmouse
February 24th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Pepper was our first rescue dog. We got her approx. 14 and a half years ago. Our friends (breeder that we got our 1st dog, a pd Eng. Springer Spaniel) had some people living next door to them that had brought home 4 puppies from the same litter, Pepper (called Spotty then), and 3 brown/white puppies. They took the 3 brown ones into the house to live with their yellow lab that they already had, and left Pepper chained to the house outside! My friend's daughter came in one day and said to her, "Mommy, do you remember how you said you'd like to have Spotty one day? Well they left her for you.":eek: Here they had moved away and left Pepper chained to the house!!! :yell: :sad: I couldn't stand to hear about her sad story, so I told my hubby that we had to take her home, and if our 1st dog didn't like her, we would find someone who would. Well, she's now 15, and after going through a bout of chewing (couch, carpet, and anything that she could get through the small slits in the crate she was in at first while we weren't home), she's become the most loveable, laid back quiet dog. She doesn't like thunder storms, or when we raise our voices, but has adapted beautifully!:lovestruck: :dog:

In the picture we caught her as she had gotten into the garbage bag and had pulled out a tray and paper/plastic that had been used to store meat!

Peepmouse
February 24th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Cinder came to us approx. 7 years ago, a day after we had to put our 14 yr old Springer Samantha down. Pepper was so lost without her sister that she had started howling, and had set off the sound sensors on our alarm system twice! Hubby went and picked her up to take her to work with him, but when he got home, she was so upset, she was hyperventilating and making herself sick!:eek: Her dropped her off at our breeder friend's place, and she calmed down when she got around the other dogs in their house. My girlfriend called me at work and said her s-i-l was just getting ready to bring a dog back in to the humane society for adoption. She worked there, and this little puppy came in at approx. 3 wks of age, and they didn't think she would survive. She had been dumped in a park in a box, and was all by herself. She said she would take the puppy home and try and keep it alive, as well as socializing it with her dogs and kids. She had the puppy for 9 weeks, so she was now ready to go back the the HS for adoption. My girlfriend picked up the puppy and brought her back to her place. When I picked up Pepper, I instantly fell in love with this little sweety, and Pepper did too! She came home as Cinder, and has been here ever since. She's become a huge cuddlepuppy, and just craves attention! We love her to bits!!:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :dog:

angeldogs
February 24th, 2007, 02:06 AM
We adopted Radar from the spca.and after 10years with us we had to P.T.S.he was abused,hit bya car,and lost a toe on his right foot.just after we adopted him we had to have another toe removed on the same foot:rip: boy

angeldogs
February 24th, 2007, 02:10 AM
and my girl was given to us by friends who breed there shih-tsu's

chocolatecoffee
February 24th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Awww, what a great idea! Everyone has such beautiful pictures of their beautiful furbabies!

Here's Panna's picture from before we adopted her and when she was here for a few months. Her owner died and didn't make an adequate plan, so she was passed around a few times and was going to be taken to the shelter in Las Vegas (which is very high kill, there's a video on the internet about the very shelter somewhere...). So we flew her up to good ol' Canada in the middle of January right after a snowstorm! That's quite the shock from Las Vegas, poor girl didn't know where to pee since that cold white stuff was everywhere...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/tangowithmango/Panna/Adopt06.jpg

Here's Cannelle's before (from in the rescue) and after about 6 months. She was bought from a pet store as a puppy, severely abused for 6 months, dropped off at the vet's to be euthanized since their "training" method wasn't working and they deemed her "untrainable", went to a new home with a volunteer at the vet's, was attacked that night and nearly lost her life (that's how she lost her eye), and finally ended up in rescue. We weren't looking for another dog but fostered for the rescue and they asked us...and, well, could you say no to that face? Now she's stuck here :p.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/tangowithmango/Cannelle/Adopt06-2.jpg

angeldogs
February 24th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Last but no least.my baby boy.he was given to us by a friend who was being deported and wanted him to have a good life.

athenamor
February 24th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I talked a little about his story under his thread, but here it is. We were looking to own a dog, I bought books, and researched breeds and such. We wanted a younger dog, someone playful for my then 3 year old to play with. We went to the SPCA first, but most of the dogs were adopted or too big then what we thought we could handle (with such a small child). So we went to the Pound. We met some really playful dogs, but they kept knocking my daughter down, and scratching her. So because my daughter was so small at the time, we didnt want to get a dog that may accidently hurt her. One of the care givers there said "I want you to look at someone he was picked up as a stray, he's bigger and older then you want, but he's so well mannered. I'd take him home if I didnt have so many already. He's been here awhile" We said ok, and in comes this huge beautiful dog. My daughter had the biscuts and while the other dogs were all over her for it, he waited. She (my daughter gave him simple comands sit, shake, and he did it. He was so gentle in taking the food too. He was under wieght (68lbs, you could feel his ribs and hips really well), maybe from being on the streets too long, or underfed, I dunno. He's 74lbs now, and the vet said he's fine, though I think he still too thin (still easily feel his hips), but she said it may just be his build. Ok I know long story, but here is Bourbon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/asallot/bourbon.jpg

here he is with my daughter a few months after we got him. They were playing dress up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/asallot/kbdressup.jpg

Rick C
February 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
We found Polly and her five kittens in a pet store . . . . the owner of the store had been treating Polly for ear mites and put little bags on her back feet with tight elastics to keep them on . . . . . Polly's back feet turned hard as rocks from lack of circulation. We offered to buy Polly to get her out of there but the pet store owner obviously knew something was wrong and gave her to us along with the five kittens . . . . within a few days of coming into our care, Polly had to have her back feet amputated. The surgeons split the $1,600 bill with us although we hadn't asked. So Polly has a lot of friends and has learned to live with her disability quite well . . . . .

Polly goes outside with constant human supervision . . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/16670148-edit1.jpg

Keeper's family in town didn't want her . . . . . we got her when she was one year of age . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/15800089-edit1.jpg

Daisy and Maude washed up on a nearby acreage, just kittens and starving. . . . . and Skyler is Polly's kitten, also picked up out of the pet store.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
February 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
They're all such amazing stories and with happy endings too! :cloud9:

JanM
February 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Here's Shadow - he is from the Nanaimo, BC SPCA - he came home 2 years ago and is the most affectionate, loving cat I have known.

OntarioGreys
February 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Callie was a sppoky greyhound , fearful of a lot of things, prior family who adopted her really did not bond with her and they had no clue how to handle her fearfulness, so set up in a garage to live and let into the yard, so most of her 3 1/2 years there she lived pretty much secluded, she was also thunderphobic and during a severe thunderstorm panic and tried to escape the storm by breaking through garage windows which she ended up cutting her leg, the rescure group was called in order to find her since she was on the run, The family finally had eough and returned her to the rescue at 7 1/2 years old, she did not handle being being back in a kennel enviroment wel and had stopped eating and was acting very depressed and lethargic, because of her fearfulness and age she was not too adoptable, I had phone the rescue inquiring about the health of another greyhound who had escaped their home and had spent 6 weeks on the run middle of winter before getting recaptured, learned she was doing well and was told about Callie, and right there and then told them I would take her.

I was fortunate enough to have 18 glorious months helping her to overcome her fears with Sunny's help, and she turned into quite the outgoing playful commediane, who was an absolute joy to have around, unfortunately she developed osteosarcoma in the upper femur and I had to help her cross the bridge, and on hat day she proved she had won the battle over her fears and left this world in calmness and serenity

first day at home taken with a telephoto lens since she would not let me near her

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/fd58a1b9.jpg

And later
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/fc3608b1.jpg

athenamor
February 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
awww, these are all great (great as in glad they were rescued), and Callie was soo pretty. Rick do you live in the US? The scenery is beautiful. Reminds me of Germany. (Hubby was stationed there for a couple years). I bet the pups and kitty love such a beautiful setting.

Loves Labs
February 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
What a great idea for a thread. These stories are all so wonderful...such happy endings for such beautiful animals. Reading these has made me a little teary and has made my day :angel:

Hayden was a rescued puppy from a litter of 10. The owner gave up the very pregnant mom who he had kept outside in the dead of winter. Thankfully, all of the pups and their beautiful mum were adopted into their forever homes. Hayden can be very shy and fearful of loud noises and most people but has come a long way in his first year and is the most loving, affectionate dog I have ever known. There are so many pets in such dire, desperate situations - I will never think twice about getting a rescue again...and I have become a BIG advocate for adopting rescued pets since getting Hayden (and joining this forum!)

AliSam
February 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM
All of our pets have been rescues. Our kitties both came from PetSmart through their PAWs program. Alicia was rescued from a garbage bag along with her brothers and sisters. Josie came from a home where the one half of the couple passed away and the widow couldn't keep her when she moved. She was in foster care for awhile and then was adopted by us at age 2.

Sam came from Oshawa Animal Control. He was found wandering around Oshawa eating garbage & rocks. He was very, very skinny. We found him & adopted him a week after he was picked by OAC.

Alicia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Pets/Alicia1.jpg

Sam
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Pets/Sam01.jpg

Josie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Pets/FreshDownloads.jpg

angeldogs
February 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
OG.Callie was beautiful looking.looks so calm in the last pic.

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Although all these beautiful pets have found loving homes, it does pull at my heart strings just knowing what most of them had to endure. And to think that there are thousands more out there who need help.:pray: :sad: :mad: :fingerscr

angeldogs
February 24th, 2007, 08:43 PM
they wouldn't need help if there past families seen in them what we see.and not to say that they have a dog or cat.at least there are families out there to give them just that.

Frenchy
February 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Frenchy, Daisy was a beautiful looking dog. Im guessing a long haired golden retriever??? I know what its like to "still miss like" crazy "our girls"!.:rip:

Of the 3 goldens, I know Sam is a purebred , I was able to trace his breeder all the way back to Alberta because of a tatoo in his ear. ( I'm in Quebec!) His breeder was very glad to have an update on him but kind of :mad: one of her dogs was dumped at a high kill shelter. I don't know if Daisy was or if Bailey is. And it's the least of my concern. I feel lucky to have them. I had my share of heath problems with them. Bailey had allergies and I had to find out to what (chicken,corn and seasonal allergies) and discovered he was heartworm positive after a blood test. My poor Daisy had one lump after another. After 2 operations , it came back, cancer suck. Sam has problem with his hind legs, he was very obese when I got him and I'm having troubles making him loose weight...but we will do it. :fingerscr

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
After 2 operations , it came back, cancer suck.

Yeah...I know only to well what thats like!:sad:

cpietra16
February 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Tess was going to be put down because she was a senior and sick and unadoptable....
With Canine14"s help she got out and turned out to be 2 years old and very healthy:D

Frenchy
February 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah...I know only to well what thats like!:sad:

What about your stories, if it's not too painful to tell. :sad:

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM
What about your stories, if it's not too painful to tell. :sad:

Not SO painful now. Might post Cassie's story on the Rainbow Bridge.:sad:

Frenchy
February 24th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Not SO painful now. Might post Cassie's story on the Rainbow Bridge.:sad:

Take your time :grouphug:

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Take your time :grouphug:

I had just finished writing and went to put some pix on.... and somehow lost the whole lot.... AGGGRRRRRRRRRR. It was good too!!!!:mad: Might give it a rest for now..I have a wee black lab who is in need of a walk!

Frenchy
February 24th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I had just finished writing and went to put some pix on.... and somehow lost the whole lot.... AGGGRRRRRRRRRR. It was good too!!!!:mad: Might give it a rest for now..I have a wee black lab who is in need of a walk!

I always start with the pic, just in case...

~michelle~
February 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I came across braxton while at a local shelter with one of the guuys i support looking at the animals and petting them I saw Braxton, and immediately fell in love with that face (how could you not) took him out of his cage and he gave me so much excitement and love!!!! i went back to adopt him and the woman refused because i lived in an apartment (so she said) i think she tought i was young and irresponsible....
but i did not give up went back talked to another woman (i had broken my ankle the day before) and she adopted him to me :lovestruck:
so i struggled with my broken leg and braxton struggled with learning how to trust. he was fearful of everything and everyone (except me and chris)
it became obvious after a few days that braxton had lead a far less then ideal life before i got him. the word no alone would send him into a panic any loud noises or voices and he would be in sucha state of fear....he didnt even know how to play:sad: balls, toys ment nothing to him.
but since i had 2 mos off with a broken ankle we spent everyday together, and with some love, and care and alot of socialization Braxton just wants to open his heart to everyone and give them a kiss on the face and play some tug o war:cloud9:

~michelle~
February 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
We got logan when we were out of town at a wedding chris had been saying he wanted a younger and larger dog recently to go in to our family....
we stopped by a shelter while in sudbury and met Logan he was crazy, hyper, and almost ripped my arm off when we took him outside on the lead.... but those eyes were enought to make your heart melt....his previous owner had surrendered him because he was deemed untrainable.....
we the first few months were havoc.... logan jumped on me harassed braxton and brax would hide everytime, wouldnt walk nicely on a leash wouldnt listen to anycommands although he had past an obedience course and knew their meaning...
i came close to thinking they were right that he was untrainable, sometimes struggling with his defiance made me wanna cry but then everytime when it seemed too mush he would come to me and chris and give us those eyes....
well hes still here today hes out best buddy, and braxton adores him, he taught brax alot and brought him out of his shell
and everytime he gets in to mischife he gives us those eyes

Frenchy
February 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
And look at Braxton now , he looks like this ; :D

~michelle~
February 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
he does he has what i affectonately call the pittie smile i notice many pitbulls have the ear to ear smile when their happy (how could anyone be afraid of that!)

Quins-mum
February 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
and everytime he gets in to mischife he gives us those eyes

...oh yeah.... i've seen that look before too!:cloud9: :angel: :angel: :angel:

~michelle~
February 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Aiden i got when Chris and I were "on a break" (we didnt think we were on a break but it was just a break!!!:D ) and i really missed having a second dog around and so did braxton, so we went to the shelter one day and i saw aiden. he looked fluffy, beatiful, and curious... he did a lot of howling. but he gave you the husky face (husky owners know this face, full of personality and deceptively innocent!)
again they didnt want to adopt to me because i lived in an apartment because he's loud well me being me gave the staff there a little know how of if huskies are sufficently exercised and not left alone too long theyy are generally quite indoors, and told them all i knew of husky behaviour (which is alot since i had logan)
so they caved and gave me Aiden.... he was sooooooo skinny, you could feel every vertebrae. and rib every bone in is body stuck out... a couple days after adopting him a man stopped me on the street and asked me about Aiden, this man knew his previous owner and apparently Aden had run away a few tmes and since she had a baby she didnt care, she called he shelter found out he was there and said thats ok you can keep him...:yell:

but there loss is my gain, Aiden really balances out my family. although he can get into trouble when hes left alone (yummy garbage gormet usually)
but usually he's our quite calm one and the calm in the storm of out other hyper crazy furbabies but every now and then he lets loose.
hes gained some weight and he know hes beautiful....:cloud9: and will be sure you love him when you meet him, he really wont give you a choice:)

Frenchy
February 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I just realised that I wrote Daisy was with me for only 1 yr 1/2 but it was 2 years 1/2 , it just felt like I had not enough time with her anyway. :shrug:

Winston
February 26th, 2007, 10:45 AM
My great friends RESCUE'S

My girlfriend rescue's GSD's...For Christmas I created this collage of all of her rescues...She was in tears! Enjoy!

Cindy

Prin
February 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Tess was going to be put down because she was a senior and sick and unadoptable....
With Canine14"s help she got out and turned out to be 2 years old and very healthy:D

I so love Tess' story. She's the ultimate rescue success story. :grouphug:

lm9012
May 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM
This post is a few months old..i know..but I wanted to put in my :2cents:
My bf and I decided we wanted a dog..I knew nothing about them, never owned one. He was hell bent on wanting a Jack Russell Terrier..I didn't even know what one looked like..we knew we wanted a rescue dog..I researched online, went on petfinder.com and found a few we liked. They were in foster homes..we were able to go out and visit with the dogs and speak to the foster parents who knew the dogs very well. As it comes with the breed, we found these dogs to be a little too high energy for our lifestyle, so we'd given up on looking for a Jack...although it's all we thought about. A friend suggested going over to our local ASPCA..."We're just looking", I thought. As I'm walking by seeing all these adorable doggies, wanting to take every single one of them home, I spot some puppy cages. We didn't want a puppy..we knew there were perfectly good older dogs out there that needed a home. But I couldn't help myself...I was looking at the puppies when out of the corner of my eye I saw this white furball..it was a dog's hinds..Every other dog in the shelter had their face pressed up against the bars of their cages, dying to meet everyone..This one had his back to the door...I was instantly drawn to him. Other people noticed him too...and were whistiling into the cage...he never turned around. It was a good day at the shelter...every other cage had an "Adoption Pending" sign on it..the ones that didn't had cards with all the dog's info, name, weight, breed, etc. This dog's cage had a blank card. I tried to get his attention, he turned to look at me. I was met with the sweetest brown eyes I ever saw...& he was a jack! He looked so sad..I ran and got my boyfriend to show him. We adopted him that day. They told us he was a year old..he'd been brought in as a stray a week or so before, he'd been neutered the day before. That's it. At his first vet visit a few days later, I found out he was much older than we had been told...5 or 6, we also discovered his teeth were rotting and was in dire need of a cleaning. On top of that, he was malnourished and had a yeast infection in his ear and had a heart murmur...Today, one and a half years later you wouldn't have recognized that nameless, homeless pup. He has a giant yard, a park a block away (None of this can compare to some of the pics I've seen posted of your doggies' lush domains...believe me...this is just a city park!!)..yummy, healthy food..treats, and hugs and kisses from his mommy and daddy every single day, clean, soft fur. He has the sweetest, calmest, most laid-back demeanor...with the cute Jack face!

All that clean living has left him a little 'plump'...we are working on that!! Sometimes I wish I knew more about him..how much time I really have left with him, where he came from...then I try to think he doesn't care, so I should't either..now he loves us so much and we are all that matter to him! All in all, this was the best decision I ever made.. I'd like to think Albert rescued us...not the other way around!! Because of him, I am aware of the plight of homeless dogs in my city..I volunteer with several shelters..have fostered a few dogs...and CONSTANTLY try to educate everyone around me about the importance of good nutrition, spaying/neutering..and taking advantage of the many beautiful rewards a sweet ol' shelter doggie can give you! :dog:

Rottielover
May 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I do not have a picture of my first baby. But let me tell you, my heart strings still pull when I think about him.
I was working at a non kill shelter by the name of miouf.
I used to see every second day many pitiful sights of dogs in dirty cages, and sad, lonely fearful.
One day I decided to clean in the garage knowing there were a few dogs in there.
Well I was hapily greeted by an older obese shepherd mix.
I opened the gate and walked in. There was a haystack, so I sat down.
No more than 1 min goes by, and here comes a blurry black dog running at me. You could see how underweight he was.
I was scared crapless, but sat still hoping for the best. Well the best did happen. He jumped unto the haystack and put his 2 front paws on my lap and lied down.
It was love at first sight.
I lived in a place that could not have a dog, so I found a place that would allow me, and I adopted him.
His story was that he was there for about 3 1/2 years, after being dumped at the side of the road, after being hit by a car.
So he was about 5 1/2 when I adopted him.
The woman wanted no money, just a happy ending for the poor boy.
Well I was his happy ending.
My only regret was not finding him sooner, he had major fear aggression, which was not able to be worked on.
After 3 years of loving this dog with all my heart, I had to make the saddest decision of my life. I put him to sleep.
I was litterally on the phone with my vet for 4 hours, asking her if I am doing the right thing, did I do everything I could.
She came in on her day off. I sat on the floor, with his head in my lap, and his 2 paws on me.
He left this earth, and me the same way he came in.RIP:rip: My little bear.
You will always be my heart dog, although you were not with me for long, you taught me the true meaning of love. Till we meet again.
Bear was a rottweiler lab

luckypenny
May 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I love your story Im9012. I, too, believe it is they who sometimes rescue us and give back much more than they receive. I'm so happy Albert was brought into such a loving home.

luckypenny
May 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Rottielover, you were very courageous for making that decision. I'm happy Bear had the love you offered him yet sad for you to have to go through that experience. You have my empathy.

Rottielover
May 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
To this day I look at his picture and wonder, with all the things I know now, did I make the right decision. He was loyal to the end. But he has becoming so fearful, that I could only walk him at midnight, and 6 am. When no kids were out, no loud noises, no trucks.
I had to have my windows closed at all times, he only felt safe lying in my lap.
( he was 95lbs).
I still have all the good memories of him, I blocked all the bad.
I miss him everyday.
There are many things that harley does that reminds me of him. I really do believe Bear sent him so I would never forget him:rip:

Bearsmom
May 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM
We rescued Bear from his idiot owner at 9 weeks old. Bear was afraid of ANY man who wore a jean jacket, and to this day, you CANNOT hold anything above your head without him warily watching your every move.

PS Our beloved Bear is 7 years old today!!!!

chico2
May 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Thank's for reopening this thread,it cleared my sinuses this morning,so many happy-ending stories and some not so happy,my greatest wish,is that we would not no shelters,that ALL animals would know love and care..
Seeing CPietras little Tess at the shelter,terrified,deemed too old and sick to live,then knowing what a wonderful life she now has,is the best feeling on earth:love:
I have no real rescue story,Rocky was a barn-kitten,given to me by a storeclerk at my petsupply store.
Chico,I "rescued"before he had to spend a long weekend alone in a cage at our petstore(long since closed:thumbs up )I just had too,he was meowing so pityful,the only kitten left,because he was black..
Vinnie was found outside a factory by some friends of mine,a tiny,little odd-eyed greyish kitten,after a clean-up,we found out he was white.
Vinnie then and now!!